Keagansmith00
Accepted Solution

Why doesn't Toshiba support Linux?

[ Edited ]

Why won't they update their BIOS.

I paid for my laptop and I want to be able to use OTHER Operating systems!

This is ridiculous...

I didn't pay money for a locked down hunk of junk, Let me run what I want, maybe... idk... USE THE STANDARD?!?

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

Re: Why doesn't Toshiba support Linux?

[ Edited ]

Linux kernals get repackaged and released to support new hardware, not the other way around.  When someone with the knowledge repacks the kernal for that linux system and includes support for your hardware, it will then be supported.  A bios update won't help, you will have to wait for someone to repackage the kernal to support your hardware.  I suggest you contact whoever releases your preferred linux system, and supply them with the hardware data for your system.

[ admin edit of thread subject ]

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

You may want to take a look at http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux for misc. Linux support resources and information from Toshiba.

Jim

opetmar

i am also encounterd a problem while trying install fedora or ubento linux ....after search in google i solved the problem...so search in google and be sure you will got a solution........

by the way some toshiba laptops like c650 series don't able to start linux due to problem in "acpi" (advance controling and power interfacing) ...check this topic::

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Technology/problem-in-installing-linux/m-p/150185/highlight/fal...

varrin

I recently bought a C655 for my wife.  Shoulda googled it before trying to install linux on it.  What a waste of time. I'm returning the laptop for a refund.  One less sale for Toshiba.

I have other Toshiba laptops that work right and have been very happy with them.  I currently have two U-series laptops that I like a lot and linux runs flawlessly on them.  I just went looking for a U505 and I see there's none listed now on the Toshiba website and I don't see a replacement for it. 

Is Toshiba *trying* to alienate customers?  I started buying Toshibas again (the returned C655 would have been my 6th all together) because HP/Compaq was making junk and I had always had good experience with Toshiba before.  Now I have had two great Toshibas in a row (both U-series) with good build quality, good specs, and good hardware compatibility.  The C655 experience is turning me off again.  What gives, Toshiba???

V-

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

[ Edited ]

The issue is not that Toshiba is not building systems that support Linux, it is that the current versions of Linux have not caught up with the hardware that is available. 

If hardware manufacturers did not come out with new technology, we would all still be running 286 machines in DOS.  The people creating the software cannot add support for hardware that does not exist yet.

Because of the way Linux is built and updated it has always been behind the advances in hardware technology.

When Linux releases an updated Kernal with support for that models hardware it will work.

The only reason that Windows has support for new hardware when it is released is that the companies will release the data for the new hardware to Microsoft, so that Microsoft engineers can incorporate it into windows via Windows update.

Linux does not have an engineering staff like Microsoft does that can do that.

I build custom Desktop PC's for my own use, and a few years ago I built a new system that Ubuntu Linux would not run on.  "Yes" it was my fault as the builder that it would not work, "BUT" I had used all new, top of the line hardware that Linux developers had not yet had the chance to include support for in the kernal, and Linux support was not my main concern when I built it. 

Am I really to blame for Linux not working on it??  No, I don't think so, I wanted a fast PC, and that is what I built. 

About 6 months later they finally released a new Kernal that had the support I needed to run it. 

The real fault in all of this is the very nature of Linux being open source, there is no single large group of dedicated engineers working on it, and because of that it takes more time for new hardware to be added to the list of supported hardware..

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
matrixviking

*blinks*

I'm having a hard time feeling any sympathy for the posters who expect their hardware to support Linux when it was obviously set up for a Windows system.

As someone who worked customer service troubleshooting a name brand system, the first thing any tech agent will say is, "We support the computer with the OS it came installed with, if you install something else, it's at your own risk"

Complaining because a name brand computer (in this case, Toshiba) doesn't support an Operating System it wasn't installed with serves no good purpose and creates user-based antipathy where there should be none. I own a Toshiba Satellite L305 that came with Vista and have had no issues. Once the warranty went bye bye, I swapped out the HDD and installed Win7 Pro because it smokes Vista back at the starting line.

I've heard that Linux is a decent system and a friend of mine swears by it, but for my own part, I've found from my own research that it's not a quick and easy road. For those that like Linux, more power to you! But don't blame Toshiba for building a computer that isn't Linux compliant.

Occasional Advisor
Heman

Agreed, sir. Linux is a handy little system, but naturally hardware support would be delayed. And it isn't like there is any obligation or stated hardware support from developers, nor is there software support from majour parts manufacturers. The professionally produced distros like SuSe or Red Hat should pretty quickly get the driver support, but you can't expect it overnight.

And by the same token, is anyone mad that the hardware doesn't support OSX [some kind of wildcat]? It is pretty much the same thing.

www.google.com
8-bit

If you are game to give it a try, go to Distrowatch.com and download and burn Puppy linux 5.2. It is a live CD that after booting runs in ram complete with applications. It is able to do this as it is kept small in size. There is also a review of it there.
Vesperto

[ Edited ]

Flamewar as it seems, i have to chip in. Toshiba doesn't support GNU/Linux because Toshiba doesn't care about end-users, all they care about is money. Otherwise, they'd support GNU/Linux as well as Mac, off-the-shelf. Older laptops seem to have Linux drivers, new ones? Not really.

Granted, quite a few components are made by third-parties, but at least for the on-board components there could be a little help. There are "corporate" Linux distros that will sign NDAs and will create binary drivers; i wonder if Toshiba would accept that. Ubuntu, Red Hat, SuSe...?

Thankfully some hardware makers are GNU/Linux-friendly. AMD/ATI has [binary] drivers for the Radeon HD 6450M. Nvidia sorta does the same. Toshiba's even secretive about the hardware specs. I know the laptop i want to buy (Tecra R840-10T) has that graphics card, but i know zippo about the wireless card. May be Atheros, may be Intel... who knows... And the 3G card is by Ericsson and they even say they have an "OS independent" driver, yet the link takes you to a windows-only site. If i knew some specs i could at least search Linux drivers.

The Linux community doesn't have big engineering teams because it's a community, it's not a corporation. The Linux community does have individual engineers worldwide supporting a large amount of distros and fixing critical bugs much faster than any Windows Update patch or service pack. I've only started to take Windows OSes somewhat close to marginally seriously since XP SP3 (Vista excluded).

The delay in drivers arriving at the GNU/Linux users is the delay necessary to reverse-engineer drivers. Some of them even work better than the original. It's nothing inherent to the Linux comunity being open-source, that's plain silly.

There are good engineers in the community. Oddly enough, for a company like Toshiba, supporting Linux and Mac would be a no-brainer *and* would profit for a niche market that would have the most loyal of customers. Not that many companies sell laptops with Linux pre-installed.

Maybe i can get a Toshiba laptop without OS.

kevinsflynn

I am running Ubuntu 11.04 on a C655 and everything works great. Is is possible tere was something simply wrong with that specific unit?

thommytang

Half of you are right and the other half are right as well.

First off, to the person who dissed on open source platforms - what in gods name are you talking about? Don't EVER dis open source software. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard anyone say.
So - Linux and toshiba problems are on both sides of the fence.

First off - if Toshiba wanted to really give their customers some bangin service, they would release drivers for linux. Don't blame this on the linux community. Stupids.
And yes - linux has a tough time keeping up with brand new hardware because the hardware manufacturers don't find it prudent to supply drivers for both windows and linux. Like it's that hard. Don't make it sound like it's the linux communities fault for not keeping up with the hardware. Most hardware manufacturers write drivers for windows and get it signed by microsoft but seemingly forget to write drivers for linux. I would assume there's a bit of money behind this. 
So everybody - quit being retarded. Ask the hardware manufacturers to support Linux as well. Seriously - blaming the open source linux community - how much more retarded can you get? Blame the idiots that think it's too much time to support linux by not writing a simple extra driver for linux AND windows.
Break it off - peace ... 

SteveK

I'll apologize in advance for posting to an old forum, but this seems to be the place for venting about the Toshiba/Linux issue and I figured Toshiba would rather have one old b**** thread than several, so here's my two cents worth ...

It's extremely difficult to configure a Toshiba laptop in a Linux OS because Toshiba doesn't really care about linux users.  I bought my wife a reconditioned Satellite recently and chuckled when I saw that they had it on display with Windows 7 installed.  Running Windows 7 on anything with less than 4gb of Ram is like sailing the Titanic in your bathtub.  Anyway, I've installed countless different Linux distros on a number of machines.  I have 12 machines running right now between my office and home including three production servers.  I've never had a problem like I've had with my wife's Toshiba.

For the "blame it on Linux" posters, I'd note that Windows doesn't produce Windows compatible drivers for hardware, the hardware manufacturers do.  Log on to the Toshiba support site and you'll find plenty of drivers which were not produced by Microsoft.  The difference is that Toshiba doesn't market their products to Linux users and the "go pound salt" response seems to be working for them. 

For the "former customer service" guy, I'd say that in the distant past it was the case that component manufacturers could ignore Linux users, but I find that to be rare now and days.  Which is why I was so stunned at the difficulty in getting linux drivers for my wife's Toshiba laptop.

One additional note on the "cutting edge of technology" argument is that my wife's laptop is now a few years old and there are plenty of forum posts out there b***** about the absence of wifi and even ethernet card drivers for various Toshiba laptops.  Yet, Toshiba doesn't address the issue.

My two cents on Linux forums, by the way, isn't going to be "hurry up and compile some Toshiba driver packages boys!" it's going to be "WARNING: DO NOT BUY TOSHIBAS!!!"

SteveK

As an update ... I stand corrected ... Toshiba doesn't support Windows either.  Went the Windows XP route and had to learn French and visit the Canadian and European support sites to download drivers.  Well, most of them anyway.  Some of the hardware I had to actually go to the manufacturer's part numbers and now my wife's Toshiba laptop has two Dell and an HP driver in it as well as the "Euro" drivers.  What's the deal anyway?  A contract with Windows to only support Windows 7 in the US that's illegal in Canda and Europe?  That's my best guess anyway.

f512dmx

I have been using LinuX UbuntU on a G20 Qosmio for some years now. But I have to keep xp installed because if w*****s is not installed the hard drives do not turn so the solution is a double boot.

Have fun.

Occasional Contributor
Trevor08

I have a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5258 laptop (intel core i5-2410M CPU), and I've successfully installed and flawlessly run Ubuntu Linux 11.10 ("Oneiric Ocelot") 64 bit  and Linux Mint 11 "Katya" 64 bit. Intel HD 3000 graphics, 1366 x 768. - in dual boot configuration, as a matter fact, side by side with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Didn't have to mess around with anything in the BIOS, either. I've even played around with a couple of 3.X Linux kernels, too, and they worked like charms.

As far as I'm concerned, Toshiba does indeed support Linux.

Nadja

Ummm..... some of us run Linux because we need it for our work; and because with some GPL virtual machine software, we can use a small PC as a proxy server, a gateway, and a workstation - all at the same time on our home networks.

It is more secure than Windows, and is far more powerful. It has a lot less code bloat - so it runs much faster on a given platform. It also does not require that you spend a fortune and replace every application in sight with every system upgrade.

I'm suffering right now because I am finding it impossible to install Fedora 16 on my new Satellite.

Nadja

OSX is Linux/UNIX flavor written for Macintosh. Among other differences, it does not use X11 for windowing and instead relies on layers in Quartz and Aqua to provide a consistent feel for X11 and native applications. There is no reason for Toshiba to support a MacIntosh OS.

Nadja

How were you able to install Ubuntu?

I get nothing but error messages about invalid links, missing files, etc?

allenturner

Hi,

I was able to install Mint 11 Katya in a L755-S5356, only issue so far is that the battery is NOT recognized, couple of nights ago laptop just ran out of juice and many files were corrupted.

Found a post with a possible explanation:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-acpi/msg33618.html

however it seems that there is no easy solution for Toshiba's hardware, this thread got started a while back and still no solution, rethinking my choice of byuing my first Toshiba, here are some details from the above link, maybe Toshiba's can investigate further:

Solutions:
1. Call method BSTA in function acpi_battery_add of drivers/acpi/battery.c
This works fine.
However, this is specific code and will not work with other hardware.

2. When a query method of Embedded Control is registered (acpi_ec_register_query_methods), immediately call it (acpi_evaluate_object(handle, NULL, NULL, NULL)).

This also works fine.

Compared to procedure (1) this has the advantage that it is not hardware specific. It possibly has the disadvantage that calling a query method might be harmful.

Thanks