vic_viper_001

What's the safest way to remove the bottom cover of my L505 S6946 & clean the fan!?

I need to clean the dirt out of my Toshiba Satellite L505 S6946's fan. What's the safest way to dissasemble my laptop and get to it's fan? I'm really wary of taking the laptop somewhere to get it cleaned, and Google searches haven't been much help here either.

Also... would it be a bad Idea to simply get a can of compressed air and blow the dirt out of the fan and vents, or would that only create new problems?

Frequent Advisor
drev9

Re: What's the safest way to remove the bottom cover of my L505 S6946 & clean the fan!?

you can remove some of the dust using the canned air method.  It will not remove 100% of the dust though.  I always recommend cleaning the CPU and applying fresh thermal compound whenever you clean the computer.  Stores like Radio Shack sell "Atric Silver" thermal compound, as well as "articlean", to clean the old compound off the CPU.  I owned an L505D for several months, so it's very similar.  Here are the steps(bear with me, it's been several months since I have seen my old L505D):

- remove the battery

- remove all covers from the bottom of the computer

- remove the HDD

- remove all screws from the bottom of the computer(keep different screws seperated

- pull out DVD drive

- flip computer over, open up, and pop off trim piece above the keyboard

- remove screws that hold the keyboard in place, as well as connector(slide tabs, remove ribbon cable), and remove keyboard

- remove any screws that may be holding palmrest assembly to the base(I can't remember off hand it there are any)

- remove connectors for power button, media buttons, touchpad, speakers, etc.

- remove palmrest assembly.

- remove 1-3 screws holding motherboard to the base

- remove cabling for power, screen, video out, USBs, etc.

- motherboard will come out.  Flip board over, and remove screws and connector for fan.  remove fan

- remove screws holding heat sink to motherboard.

This will give you access to the fan, heat sink fins, and CPU.  From there, you can clean everything up, and apply fresh thermal compound to the CPU.

vic_viper_001

Re: What's the safest way to remove the bottom cover of my L505 S6946 & clean the fan!?

Whoa... Thanks for all the advice, but there's no WAY I'd be able to do all that and walk away with a still-intact laptop.  It looks like I'd better just use canned air and try my best to suck the loose dirt out with a vacuum. Either that or get somebody who actually knows what they're doing, to clean the laptop for me... Thanks for your help.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

no problem.