AlaskaOneDay

What is the Best Anti virus Protection to have on your Laptop?

I recieved an L555D-S7932 Laptop from HHGregg"s for a Christmas present and have been reading these little phamplets which to me aren't what I expected. I would have expected a manual not 3 little phamletss. I have many questions that I would love to have answered.

1. The sales people in the store tell you to have Norton Anti Virus Protection removed from your Laptop and have this CA installed instead.

2.  WHAT IS THE BEST PROTECTION TO HAVE INSTALLED ON YOUR LAPTOP?

3.  WHICH PROTECTION USES THE SMALLEST VOLUME OF SPACE AS WELL?

4.  WHAT ABOUT THE COST FACTOR AS WELL COMPARED TO ANOTHER?

5.  The reason for asking is I have tried Mcaffee, Norton, Kapersky and they don't seem to be any better than the other in PROTECTING AGAINST VIRUS'S AND WORMS. NOW THIS IS THE FIRST LAPTOP I HAVE EVER OWNED.  I HAVE OWNED 3 DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. SO IF ANYONE CAN PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS MATTER I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

kchauswirth

Re: What is the Best Anti virus Protection to have on your Laptop?

I use Avast antivirus. You can download it free at www.avast.com

Select the home edition. You can register for a free registration code that is good for a year.

Soon2BeLegend

ive heard kaspersky is among the best. right now i have a trial version of AVG and it has caught a few viruses that ive downloaded trying to get a game to work without the CD.  AVG works really well and doesnt slow down your computer at all.

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

[ Edited ]

Any of the top brands would be good, but you always have to keep this in mind.

None of them can fully protect you against the newest threats.

It usually takes a couple of days from the time a virus is discovered for them to come up with a definition update that will spot it.

Some programs try to compensate for that by looking for virus like activity from a file, but then you run into the problem of safe files being marked as infected.

Another issue is that some viruses target the more popular antivirus programs and set themselves as exempt from future scans, so if you get infected before the virus definition for that one is released, your virus scanner will never be able to see it.

Just because a file scans as safe today does not mean that it is truly safe, so use your head, and update the software regularly.

Doesn't this info just make you feel all safe and snuggly?

A couple of safety tips that have helped me alot.

1: Tell your friends not to send you any jokes that require you to go to a website to view them.

(You wouldn't believe how many joke sites are infested with adware/viruses.)

2: Don't download any files from any sites that you are not absolutely sure are safe.

3: Avoid file sharing programs like limewire, as they are a breeding ground for viruses.

4: Never accept files sent to you by people that you do not know and trust absolutely.

5: Remember this, you don't have to actively download a file to get infected.  The internet is full of sites with infected links that all you have to do is click on a link and load a web page to infect your computer, so watch where you go on the web.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
dtmilla1

has anybody heard of virus called "security tool"?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

dtmilla1 wrote:

has anybody heard of virus called "security tool"?

Yep.  I've spent a LOT of time cleaning that from systems the past few months. It's a REAL pain to get rid of depending on which version you get hit with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

snChi2001

FYI...some of the freeware stuff works just as well and are rated just as highly (by sites like  PCTools, Consumer Reports, Gizmo's, CNet and TechNet, just to name a few) as the software you have to pay for, only they're usually stand-alone programs (i.e., not security suites), which means you'll need to install good anti-spy/anti-malware software as well.  Consistently at or near the top three are: Avira AntiVir Personal-Free Anti-Virus, it's great but I've not seen anything on their site (or anywhere else) that states it supports Windows 7 and if it does, whether or not it supports 64-bit processors.  AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is also highly rated and one of the most downloaded (if that's significant to you), although I've never used it, and last but not least, there's Avast Home Edition Free Anti-virus.  One word of caution, please make sure you go to a secure site to download any of these.  The common advise is to go directly to the software manufacturer's site and D/L from it but I've had no issues with other sites like http://download.cnet.com/.  Hope that's helpful!

jgjustingarrett

kchauswirth wrote:

I use Avast antivirus. You can download it free at www.avast.com

Select the home edition. You can register for a free registration code that is good for a year.

It's best to buy the full version you get better coverage and the AVG PC Tune up program that seems to be the best,Nortons

also has good antivirus theirs is about 79-99 dollars plus it has system utillities on it already.