Occasional Contributor
sjwolves

Upgrading the L355 to Windows 7

Hello, out of curiousity I'd like to know if it'd be a good decision to upgrade my computer from Windows Vista to Windows 7 and if that would by chance fix a bug that I have with the USB slots.

The bug occurs on occassion and I think it has to do with the OS or the battery. At random the USB slots cease to work and sometimes even the WiFi capabilities seem to shut off. I find that I am able to fix this when I shut down the computer, unplug the power supply, and then later turn it back on (and plug back in the power supply). I'd like to no longer deal with this problem however, and am wondering if upgrading would fix things.

Besides that, I'd also like to know if it'd be worth the purchase. I don't want to be buying something for $120 and then find out that it doesn't work well with my computer. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: Upgrading the L355 to Windows 7

it is always a good idea to get rid of vista but upgrading when you have a known bug with hardware like the usbs will most likely just carry over to the new OS.

have you tried a factory restore to see if this fixes these problems you are already having? if you restore to factory and you are still having problems than it is most likely a hardware problem and upgrading would do nothing but give you a differant OS that has the exact same problems

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
oldefoxx

Windows 7 is not cheap, and though many are convenced it is the way to go, I've been in the computerbusiness nearly 40 years and I differ.  Vista is junk, and Windows 7 is just sweeping the junk under the rug.  Now you can do it if you want, but why not try something different that can still tell you if your USB ports work, and cost you next to nothing?  I would suggest downloading Ubuntu and run the LiveCD to boot up your PC and see how that works.  It won't cost more than the price of the CD that you burn it to.  If you like it, you can stay with it, even install it permanently.  If not, you still have Vista, but you did not spend anything either.  Windows 7 is an over promoted money maker for Microsoft, like all the previous Windows have been.  I've had my hands on it in helping out some family members, and it is a different type of junk than Vista was, but hardly any better.  Just more polished.

silkworth

I had a similar problem with USB ports. Upgrading to Windows 7 did not solve. An old poster suggested as a fix: shutting down laptop, remove battery and press power switch for 15 seconds. Had something to do with excess charge from having laptop plugged in all the time. I have had to do this periodically since purchasing this laptop 18 months ago. Not a permanent solution but solves the problem when it occurs.