Reply
Member
TeleMedic
Posts: 4
Accepted Solution

Upgrade my Satellite 1415-S173

I've nearly maxed out the 30 GB hard drive on this aging laptop and would like to upgrade. Additionally, i should increase the RAM from it's original 256mb as the computer runs incredibly slowly. Any suggestions as to what i need to buy in terms of compatible drives and RAM? I'm a bit clueless. Thanks!
Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger
Posts: 891

Re: Upgrade my Satellite 1415-S173


TeleMedic wrote:
I've nearly maxed out the 30 GB hard drive on this aging laptop and would like to upgrade. Additionally, i should increase the RAM from it's original 256mb as the computer runs incredibly slowly. Any suggestions as to what i need to buy in terms of compatible drives and RAM? I'm a bit clueless. Thanks!

The memory can be upgraded to 512 MB by replacing the existing modules with 2 Kingston KTT3614/256 modules.  They are available at Amazon for around $45 the pair.  Expansion past 512 MB is not possible.  Toshiba notebooks are 'picky' about memory, so use only the Kingston KTT3614/256 modules.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-256-SODIMM-TOSHIBA/dp/B00006HVM4

 

You'll need an parallel ATA (PATA) interface drive that can be set to device 0 (master).  ToshibaDirect has several, but the price is a bit steep.  You should be able to find drives at other internet retailers for less.

 

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/afin.to?stt1=Laptop+PCs&stt2=Satellite&stt3=1415-S173&x=11&y=10

 

Keep in mind that the Satellite 1400 series is an older notebook, and may not be worth putting a lot of money into upgrades.  Your call.

 

 

Member
TeleMedic
Posts: 4

Re: Upgrade my Satellite 1415-S173

Thanks so much for the help. I'm definitley not planning on putting too much $ into this. We're just looking to use it for internet access and some word processing. Someone else thought that i may be better off deleting old files and then reinstalling Windows XP. What are your thoughts?
Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger
Posts: 891

Re: Upgrade my Satellite 1415-S173


TeleMedic wrote:
Thanks so much for the help. I'm definitley not planning on putting too much $ into this. We're just looking to use it for internet access and some word processing. Someone else thought that i may be better off deleting old files and then reinstalling Windows XP. What are your thoughts?

I think the advice is half right.  Backup and delete enough data files to get 15% of the hard drive as free space.  That may be all you need to do.  Right click on the drive C: icon and select properties to see the amount of free space left.  There is also a Disk Cleanup wizard there that you might want to use as well to get rid of temporary files. 
 
Unless you have the Toshiba recovery disc(s) that came with the notebook, I cannot recommend reinstalling XP.  The price of a license  is more than the notebook is worth, and you would have to reinstall all of the Toshiba drivers and utilities.

 

Member
TeleMedic
Posts: 4

Re: Upgrade my Satellite 1415-S173

I actually do have the recovery disks for the computer. Do you think it's worthwhile?

Regular Advisor
Defender
Posts: 3,300

Re: Upgrade my Satellite 1415-S173

Go for the Recovery disc action, first backup any files or crucial data you may want to reinstall later, as well as pics email etc. It would provide you with a factory fresh system to begin working with.
Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger
Posts: 891

Re: Upgrade my Satellite 1415-S173


TeleMedic wrote:

I actually do have the recovery disks for the computer. Do you think it's worthwhile?


Try archiving and freeing up 10 - 15% of the drive first.  You'll do this anyway even if you decide to use the recovery discs.  If it speeds the notebook up, you won't have to download and install all of the Windows service packs and updates.  If the notebok is still slow, then use the recovery discs.  Don't fix what isn't broken.

Member
TeleMedic
Posts: 4

Re: Upgrade my Satellite 1415-S173

I took your advice and cleaned out the hard drive of a bunch of old files and moved others to an external drive. I also installed 512mb of RAM and the computer is running ALOT more efficiently even without running the recovery disks. Thanks so much for your suggestions!
Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger
Posts: 891

Re: Upgrade my Satellite 1415-S173

You're very welcome.  Glad it's running better!