dkeener635

USB ports not working

My USB Ports have stopped working.  I have upgraded BIOS to latest version 1.50.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled all contollers, ports, hosts, drivers, etc.  I have disabled and re-enabled USB support in bios.

Still nothing when I plug anything in to the USB ports.  It is as if they have no power and are not recognized at all.

System is as follows:

OS = Windows 7 Home Premium

Toshiba Model = Satellite  L675D-S7016 (PSK3JU-01D001)

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: USB ports not working

Satellite L675D-S7016

Try the last troubleshooting step in KB310575. It applies to Windows 7.

-Jerry
dkeener635

Jerry,

I removed all of the ports and controllers and rebooted.  Still not working - I only have two USB ports and neither of them will recognize anything I plug in.

David

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

David, the only way to make sure it's not due to software is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

But it won't hurt to reset the BIOS. With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for ten seconds. Then re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Does the eSata/usb combo port on the left side work okay?

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
dkeener635

cbwilsha wrote:

Does the eSata/usb combo port on the left side work okay?

Yes, that port is working correctly.  Only the two usb ports on the right side of the laptop are affected as if they have no power.

David

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same model as you and I have a USB hub with four slots plugged into the ESata/USB combo. I have connected there a printer, an external drive, a keyboard and a Amateur Radio Transceiver control head. The hub is not self- powered so all those connections take power from the laptop and I have no problems whatever working that way. Hubs are not expensive so I think that's a viable alternative for you.  Otherwise, the other option is to return it toToshiba to fix.

BTW, my Bios is V1.30 that came with the machine.  I elected to not go to V1.50 since everything was working fine for me.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
aahill

I have a Satellite A505-S6005 (W7 + 64-bit) and I'm having a similar problem. Only one of my USB ports along the right side seems to not be working.  If (for example) I plug-in a memory stick, it lights up as if power is going to it, but is never recognized by the computer.  I can plug it into any of the other 3 ports and it works just fine.

I saw a potential "fix" for another laptop with the same problem where it was suggested to uninstall all of the existing USB drivers, then re-start the system and let the O/S automatically re-install those drivers.

Within Device Manager --> Universial Serial Hub, I see seven items associated with my four USB hubs.  Should I be deleting all seven drivers or only certain ones?  The seven I see are listed below:

Generic USB Hub

Generic USB Hub

Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34

Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C

USB Composite Device

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

Thanks in advance,

- AA

Ace Organizer
Trina

USB ports

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.

JAXATL396

Updating the BIOS seemed to have fixed the issue for me.  I had version 1.20, but the most current is 1.60. 

How to check current BIOS version from: http://www.question-defense.com/2010/04/07/get-the-bios-version-for-a-windows-7-computer

"Checking the BIOS version of your computer using the Windows 7 System Information screen is very easy. Simply click on the Windows Start Menu icon and type “System Information” in the search bar. The top result should be the System Information screen which will launch when you click on System Information. The computer’s BIOS version will display on the default System Information screen as BIOS Version/Date also shown in the example image below. "

Updating System Bios from Toshiba website:  http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/outFrm.jsp?ofId=AskIris&searchString=satellite+c...

JAXATL396

Ignore everything I've said - this issue is still persisting. 

Dykeny67

Issue solved.

I've restarted the Satellite M645 in Safe Mode & removed all USB drivers. After restarting, all the devices were found & the drivers reinstalled.

Removed all the USB drivers orginally but it had no effect. So, with little to lose, safe mode was my last option...

Hope it works!

:-)

Keep a smile on your face and love in your heart!

arizinafox

I have a M645 and this happened to me a while ago. I tried everything with no success. I finally restored my system to a month ago (effectively removing the last month of Windows updates) and all the ports are now working fine.