jcmx

Trying To Restore My Computer To Factory Specs

Ive got a Toshiba Satellite M5, running Windows XP. I want to run a destructive restore on my computer to erase everything on the computer and restore the origional programs that was on my computer when I bought it. I also have an HP desktop with XP and when you re-boot it at the bottom of the screen its says to press F10 to do a system restore. Once you push F10 it takes you through the steps to bring your computer back to the way you got it once you first bought it erasing everything on the hard drive. I would like to do this on the Toshiba but it doesnt give me an option on start up. All I can do is a system restore through the control panel which doesnt do the same than. Can anyone walk me through this process. Im fairly compitent if it helps. J
zykez

Re: Trying To Restore My Computer To Factory Specs

Hi jcmx, 

The Recovery process reformats the computer's hard disk drive, which completely erases its contents -- including all applications, all documents, and all other data stored on the drive. Be sure to back up your documents and other data before following the instructions below.

Follow these steps to erase the current contents of the hard disk drive and to re-install all of the software that was installed on the computer when it was manufactured:

1. With the computer on, insert the first Recovery disc into the optical drive.

2. Shut down the computer (click the Start button, click Shut Down, select Shut Down, click OK).

3. Press the computer's power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press and hold the F12 key. Release the F12 key when the menu of boot options appears.

4. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the CD/DVD option. Press the Enter key to select it.

The computer will restart, and will boot from the Recovery disc.

5. Follow the instructions on the screen to start the Recovery process.

CAUTION: Once the Recovery process has begun, do not interrupt it.

The computer's hard drive will be formatted, erasing its contents. All of the software that was installed on the computer when it was manufactured will then be re-installed.

6. Once the Recovery process is complete, remove the Recovery disc, and press any key to restart the computer.

jcmx

How do I get a recovery disk?  I never got one that I remember. J
Frequent Advisor
ChristopherC

The notebook should have either come with recovery disks or it should have a partition on the hard drive containing the factory image with software to install it.  In the case of the recovery partition, there would have been instructions in the User Guide for making a set of disks.  You can call Toshiba customer service with your serial number and they will send you a replacement set.  Last I heard the disks were free but there was a shipping and handling charge of $40 or so.
zykez

Call Toshiba at 1-800-457-7777, you can request for the recovery disc but you have to pay for the shipping, either $19.95 or $24.95.

If your system has the HDD partition, check under All Programs or the main desktop screen if you have an icon that says "Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator" If you have this utility then you can create your own set of recovery disc or you can run the recovery by tapping or press "0" the moment you power On you laptop.