RoyceMalloy

Trouble with Satellite C55-A5104 Activating CSM in UEFI

[ Edited ]

I have replaced the OEM hard drive with an SSD, which is detectied fine, I was attempting to load an installation of Windows 7 on this laptop.  I know secure boot must be deactivated, which has been done, but then CSM mode must be activated in Advanced>System Configuration, yet I have yet to discover this option there or anywhere within the UEFI window.   Is the CSM feature excluded from this model or am I missing an important step?

EDIT:  Here are some pictures to show secure boot disabled and still no legacy boot option.  I did not have much waiting time as my customer needed the laptop ASAP, so Windows 8 remains the installed operating system until I can get the final authority on weather CSM or Legacy mode can actually be activated on this unit.

IMG_0186.JPGIMG_0187.JPGIMG_0188.JPG

Super Advisor
eagle3

Re: Trouble with Satellite C55-A5104 Activating CSM in UEFI

[ Edited ]

Select advanced, then system configuration,  ( then boot mode ) That's where its hiding!

select CSM or legacy for windows 7

Full instructions incase there needed to go from Windows 8 to Windows 7 -

Instructions :

Burn recovery media before you make any changes.

Important Bios changes when changing from Windows 8 to Windows 7:

Completely shut down laptop then restart computer and hold f2 when the screen goes black and wait for the bios setup utility to launch.

Select advanced, then system configuration, then boot mode

see if you have option for UEFI and CSM or legacy  (UEFI for Windows 8 and CSM or legacy for windows 7)

If you have CSM or legacy option that is what is used for windows 7.

Also in bios Setup utility select Security, then Secure Boot, then you have to disable secure boot for windows 7.

You will need to delete all partitions before installing windows 7

Installation order is important:

Install chipset driver then video driver before other drivers. Then install Toshiba Value added package before other applications

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 8, A135-S2256 Windows 7, C55-A5180 Windows 8****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****
txuser

I have the same exact problem.  I just purchased 10 of these laptops (C55-A5104) and NONE have the setting in the bios that you have described.  There are no boot options in the Advanced - System Configuration.  I have bios 1.10 which is the latest version.  I do have secure boot option that is disabled by default and I can select the boot device to boot from but there is nothing that will allow me to choose CSM.

I am trying to image the current drive to a SSD.   I called toshiba support and the person I talked to had no idea what booting to disc meant and hung up on me while putting me on hold to get someone who knew what I was asking.. 

very frustrating

I sure hope someone can shed some light on this real quick as I had not planned on this being a difficult/impossible project.

Occasional Contributor
doodalydoo

Same here. Been trying to figure this out for days. All of the tutorials on how to do it have a completely different BIOS then mine. Very frustrating!

Super Advisor
eagle3

[ Edited ]

doodalydoo

See your post in windows 8 forums - http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/40894-removing-windows-8-a.html

You are accessing BIO's from windows 8 system, you need to enter the BIO's manually by pressing f2 when starting computer to get the same options being described and complete installation.

Also see this post for other BIO's options - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13326-downgrade-windows-8-windows-7-a.html   

From that post:

On some OEM manufacturer's the CSM setting are
UEFI = Windows 8 only
Legacy = All OS.
UEFI & Legacy = All OS.

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 8, A135-S2256 Windows 7, C55-A5180 Windows 8****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****
Occasional Contributor
doodalydoo

I am pressing F2 at startup, that is the screen I get.

Super Advisor
eagle3

Can you Try by pressing shift when you turn off laptop to completely shut it down, then turn on and press f2.  Does it do anything different?

Occasional Contributor
doodalydoo

No its still the same. The bios says Toshiba System Utility at the top, does that mean I am not at the bios or is that just what Toshiba calls their bios?

Super Advisor
eagle3

[ Edited ]

That picture you posted does not look like any bios that I have seen, my Toshiba is only a few months old and I also have a around 2009 laptop that both look like the picture he posted in the other forum of a Toshiba bios screen. on mine it is called setup utility.

Your support page is here - http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200007685

Super Advisor
eagle3

Does anybody more familiar with windows 8 know if the picture here is his bios or part of the system utilities?

Occasional Contributor
doodalydoo

That's what is confusing me. I've never seen a Bios like this before, which is making wonder if it even is the bios

Occasional Contributor
doodalydoo

Edit: It does say Setup Utility not System Utility. 

Occasional Contributor
doodalydoo

Well I guess I'm going to have to just stick with windows 8 because customer service told me they were going charge me to walk me through the process of fixing it. That's ridiculous they are going to charge me to show me where the CSM option is in my BIOS

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Can you find this on the Advanced tab?

UEFI CSM Boot.jpg

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
doodalydoo

[ Edited ]

No this is what is under my advanced>system configuration tab

http://forums.toshiba.com/tshb/attachments/tshb/brd_Satellite/21775/1/DSCI0010.JPG

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

That doesn't look like the UEFI. Get there from within Windows this way.

Settings > Power > Shift + Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
doodalydoo

Still happens

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Mystery to me.

Are you sure you have a Satellite C55-A5104?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
doodalydoo

positive

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C55-A5104 (PSCJEU-00K00R)

Many others in that PSCJEU family. Here's one.

Satellite C55-A5140 (PSCJEU-00K001)

Strange we haven't run across this before.

Let's ask Peter from Toshiba to comment.

-Jerry