allien06
Accepted Solution

Satellite p845-s4200

I have a Toshiba Satellite P845-S4200 came with the "Intel® Core™ i5-3317U Processor1.7 GHz (2.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0) 3MBL3 Cache"

My question is can I change the CPU ?I have a "Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor2.53 GHz (2.80 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 3MB L3 Cache"

If so, do I also need to change the memory?

Frequent Advisor
drev9

Re: Satellite p845-s4200

those 2 cpu's are not compatible with each other.  Besides, the i5-3317U will probably run circles around the i5-460M.

jlabaume

Hi, I have one of these laptops (Satellite p845-s4200 that I received as a gift about 6 months ago. Although it was brand new and mailed directly to me from the retailer - or whoever it is that deals in these contraptions. I do not recall having received any "paperwork" with the package. I am usually pretty **bleep** about saving such things. I do (and can provide) have the part number, serial number, product key etc as they are stamped on the back of the machine. Now here is the problem.

I have used the machine with great success over the past 6 months. Also, I do not recall having to initially  "activate" or "register" any of the software that came pre-installed on it.  

A couple of days back, I contacted a pretty bad virus and ended up having to go back all the way to square one--I had all the initial software that came with the machine re-installed via the net as per the instructions on the screen of the machine. 

But now the problem is that the software manufactures are wanting me to "activate" or "register" (or else services will stop within a specified time period) and I have no product keys to give them. I tried using the product key found on the back of the machine and it was rejected (at least by Norton). 

Who do I need to contact to get this problem fixed?

I have found that getting customer service from both the hardware and software computer industries is harder than than talking to the gd government. Sigh...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P845-S4200

If you restored the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media (as instructed in the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 54 of the User's Guide), then Windows should be already activated.

Exactly what messages do you get from software? Attach pictures.

-Jerry