kblower01

Re: Satellite lid hinge broken

I own a Repair shop in La Porte IN. and I see 2 or 3 c655d series a month with completely unrepairable hinges. Sometimes we can epoxy the brass inserts back in if it is caught in time. We also see about 12-15 noteebook a month of other makes and models that have to be disassembled for some reason or another so we see how other companies as well as other toshiba models have thier hinge mounting done. TOSHIBA C655D are the worst we have ever seen. I would testify in court to that. There is no metal reinforcement at all, just plastic holding it all together. But low and behold there is now a new version of the base being sold (picture attached). And I quess someone realizes its a problem.

TheOrangeFrog

I have one of these models , for barely a year, just like the rest, my lap top was very well taken care of,. My right hinge popped up and now is cracking my entire base every time I open it up. I cringe. Obviously this is a big deal if all of us are complaining about this defect.My question is. Is Toshiba support doing anything to fix this? Obviously it's their fault for mass producing with ignorance. I just want my lap top fixed or at least a newer one with better reinforcements for the same value..

Alex_from_GA

Me too, twice.  I repaired it once with hinges my son bought for me.  A year later they both are broken again.  I called Toshiba and talked to several people up to the manager with the last word, he said.  All the people were not helpful including not calling back.  I will never purchase another Toshiba product.  I bought another set of hinges from a company in China for less than $14 when the people Toshiba recommended wanted $40+ each.  Poor service and a poor product.

rrrawlins

where did you purchase your hinge? I also need one, as will everyone else who purchases a Toshiba laptop!

agrees58

On my Toshiba the hinges were loose, i was convinced they were broken, as I started to dismantle the laptop I discovered that some of the screws were loose. Imediately went through and tightened all screws back up and hey presto, the hinges were fine.

My Toshiba is the sattelite pro c665. I have owned this from newfor about a year and was convinced the hinges were boken as the left hinge had considerable play.

mreynard

I have always been a Toshiba Satellite brand loyalist until now. My old U205-S5057 model purchased in 2007 continues to perform beautifully - opened and closed thousands of times.

On the other hand my son has a C6550-S5200  purchased for him Christmas 2011, with the same right side hinge problem. He goes above and beyond taking care of his lap top, putting it back in it's box after each and every use.  After the 9th or 10th time he used his computer, he discovered the hinge problem. We were shocked and couldn't believe our eyes!

It doesn't matter to me that this model may be considered "low end". To most families these days experiencing the same economy issues, 300.00 to 400.00 is a lot of money that they worked hard to earn. I'm terribly disappointed in Toshiba - disappointed that quality is no longer synonymous with the Toshiba brand.

dbracy1

I bought a P845-S4200 in October 2012. About 3 weeks ago, the left hinge came loose and the screen frame started separating from the screen, exposing the wires behind it. I have to open it very carefully to avoid the screen peeling completely apart. Like many others have mentioned, my laptop was not dropped or otherwise damaged--it just happened one day. Very frustrating, and I have no idea where to get it repaired in the Dallas area. Hopefully, it's a warranty item. 

InStitches49

Add me to the list of frustrated Toshiba laptop owners! Just last week my left hinge broke and now the top is barely hanging on with the left side separated and wires sticking out!  I have a Satellite L855-S5210 and haven't had it a year yet!  I called Toshiba about it and was rather rudely told that I may have dropped it and caused this! No way! I use it on my lap while sitting on a soft sofa and place it on the sofa next to me when getting up.  Also I have never slammed the cover down at any time as also insinuated. I was told that even though it is under warranty, Toshiba would make the final decision as to whether it was covered AFTER I sent it in to them.  So I would possibly be judged accountable for paying more?! My answer is to forget this computer and go back to the previous brand I had for years before....HP.  This is a rip-off and obvious design problem which no one cares about correcting!

Timbergetter

kblower01 wrote:

I own a Repair shop in La Porte IN. and I see 2 or 3 c655d series a month with completely unrepairable hinges. Sometimes we can epoxy the brass inserts back in if it is caught in time. We also see about 12-15 noteebook a month of other makes and models that have to be disassembled for some reason or another so we see how other companies as well as other toshiba models have thier hinge mounting done. TOSHIBA C655D are the worst we have ever seen. I would testify in court to that. There is no metal reinforcement at all, just plastic holding it all together. But low and behold there is now a new version of the base being sold (picture attached). And I quess someone realizes its a problem.

I am yet another victim of the broken hinge situation.  If I read the posting by kblower01 on April 6 2013 correctly, Toshiba to their credit have redesigned the offending under-designed component(s) implicated in this problem.  I presume that eventually the deficient components will be phased out, to be replaced by the redesigned ones, and these will find their way into the spare parts and warrantee service channels.

I would like to be sure that when I present my C665 to a service centre for a warrantee claim that my unit will be repaired with the redesigned components.

I can imagine that stocks of the old components may still be on the shelves at some service centres and there may be a temptation to use these before starting to use the improved parts.  Does anyone have experience here that might reassure me that if I return the unit today that I’ll get the new parts?  (I would be returning to a rural Australian service centre)

(The original post refers to a C655 and subsequent posts also refer to a C665.  I am assuming that both these models are affected by this problem.)

truebebelue

drev,could you tell me what size the screws are you replaced? A good source for them? They seem bigger that the others in the body. and I need to replace them to get my machine back together. Great video BTW,so helpful!'

True

Frequent Advisor
drev9

They are the same size as the majority of the other chassis screws(designated F6).  You could take 2 of the other screws from the chassis temporarily, as those corners are definitely the most important ones to have in place.  use loc-tite to ensure that they will not back out again.

As for sourcing the screws, some people sell screw sets on eBay.  You can take one of your F6 screws to a local computer store, to see if you could get more locally.  I got my collection from systems that I have parted out.

LindaM

Agreed!  The company has a big problem with accountability and name-brand assurance. I am assured that I will not trust Toshiba with my money. Might not mean a lot from one person, but I am telling every one I know about this malfunction. 

Darksteff86

I have a toshiba satellite C600 with the same issue. The right side came off first & after acouple of months the Left followed. I ignored the issue at first because it was outside warranty however i had to get it repaired when some of the plastic bits ended up in the cooling fan causing the laptop to overheat. I'm currently waiting for the laptop to be repaired which the local agent claims will take 4 - 6 weeks.

bismarckND

Be sure file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  I too have this same failure on a laptop that is only 7 months old.  My laptop has always been adult used and never dropped.  I boiught kids a "cheap" Lenovo about the same time earlier this year and it goes on trips in the car, gets carried by the kids from room to room and still functions like new.  The difference to quality is so obvious.   Anyone with this hinge failure underwarranty or otherwise must file a complaint with the BBB!

File with the main Toshiba HQ.

• Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc.
  • 9740 Irvine Blvd
  • Irvine
  • CA
  • 92618-1
rgraves

drev9 thank you for your posted fix on youtube.  I'm having trouble with the lighting.  I would like to make sure I am seeing where you put in the Goop.  Also is this something that you put in the Goop, let it dry, then close up the laptop and put in new screws?  Or did you put screws in right away.  Please explain the process that was skipped in video.  Thank you.

amd1

Hey guys. i came across this thread while searching google for this problem.

I have a satellite L850-Y5310 and faced the same thing with the hinges within the first 4 months of purchasing the laptop. The technician came and replaced the base but it happened again. Thankfully its still under warranty so it got replaced. The tech who came for the repair seemed sensible and he mentioned that this is a recurring problem, so its a good idea to get the warranty extended for another 2 years. Touchwood, i havent had a problem with the customer support and my calls have been attended within 3 or 4 working days.

My question is that is it a good idea to get the warranty extended?

Also is this base covered under it? the tech support mentions that it is but im not very sure since they themeselves are not sure about what they say.  :smileytongue:

id be glad to have some inputs.

cheers

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

That appears to be an Indian model so you need to contact Toshiba-India HERE. This site is for U.S. models only.  Good Luck!

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
dnsd11

I have the Satellite C655 and experienced the same thing. The monitor hinge cracked and now it is completely gone and when I close the top, I have to literally click the whole computer back together while watching where the wires go when closing the kid. The screws have fallen out so many times I've lost count. When I called support a month after I bought it, they said my laptop was no longer under warranty as it is too old. Too old? I had just bought it a month earlier. Thankfully I still had my store warranty. The screws were still falling out however. So, here I am 1 1/2 years later with screws falling out and a top I can't close. My solution? I put school glue on the screws that are a size larger and took regular screws into the plastic where the hinges are (one in each corner) and everything works so much better. It's absolutely horrid the things we have to do. I want the 2-in-1 click. I wonder if it will be the same way??
Peter

If they thought it was out of warranty when it wasn't, it sounds like you hadn't registered it yet, so the expiration date was estimated based on manufacture date. You just needed to register it first. If you had any of these physical problems while it was still in the return period, it definitely should have been exchanged. I'm sorry about all the trouble you've had.

- Peter
GayleWright

qosmio base broken

cant seem to find one any where