RSH
RSH

Satellite lid hinge broken

I am currently deployed to the Middle East.  Stateside, I work as a computer technician and operate a helpdesk. I deal with various computer brands on a day to day basis. I bought a Toshiba laptop, model Satellite C655-S5122, for personal use from a friend before I deployed. I already owned an ASUS tablet but wanted a way to more conveniently take online college courses. The Toshiba was only two months old when I purchased it. I inspected the computer and there was no damage to the outside and functioned properly.  Three months after I purchased the computer I noticed the left hinge of the lid did not close properly.  Not long afterwards the right hinge started malfunctioning also. I have seen this issue in other computer brands. Typically the issue can be resolved with replacing a screw that is loose or fallen out all together. I took the back off the computer in an attempt to tighten the screws that hold the hinges in place. It did not take me long to realize just how poorly made this computer is. The hinges were screwed into the bottom plastic shell. The plastic screw holes that hold the hinges in place had completely broken off.  The screw holes were not even reinforced. I understand this is a base model computer; however, it was unable to hold up to normal wear and tear. The computer has not been dropped, hit, or slammed.  When closing the lid I have always held both sides and closed it easily.  I am very disappointed in how this computer was designed.  I have attached pictures showing the problem.

Pic 1 shows the screws that hold down the hinge with the broken plastic attached.

Pic 2 shows the plastic that houses the screw holes. The plastic was painted copper to look like metal.

Pic 3 shows both hinges that have broken the plastic

Pic 4 shows the broken plastic that used to be the screw holes

I want to reiterate that the computer in the above pictures was not dropped or mishandled in any way. The damages occurred from normal wear and tear. The Toshiba Satellite C655-S5122 is by far the most poorly designed computer I have ever worked on. I will not be purchasing another Toshiba brand product and will not recommend the brand to my customers until Toshiba can produce a better product.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

Re: Satellite lid hinge broken

if it is only 5 months old, then there should still be a warranty remaining on it.  Although, they may believe that it was dropped at some point due to the damage.  I am not sure why the hinge mounts would fail in such a short amount of time without it being either a flaw in the casting of the plastic base, or some sort of trama. 

At any rate, if it can't be fixed under warranty, it looks like a replacement base can be purchased on eBay starting at $35, and they say that they ship world wide.  If that is not an option, I would probably epoxy the hinge mounts in place. 

Funky1096

Three things.

From what i have read and heard all the net yes toshiba support is Dumb, Stupid, and for the most part do not care besides simple questions.

Dont judge them based off this one bad experience their support might suck but they have good deals on laptops (occasionaly)

Do lots of research before you buy a laptop make shure that when you ask for help support sites or the OEM will help, make sure it has good reviews, look in to the detailed manual book they provide online, and make sure your certain that it will last except for a circumstance where you dont get backended or have to pay a huge sum of cash for a 6.00$ fix, and finally read the terms you are given for repairs if given the option.

and Kudos for posting this issue on the forum for future reference.

laptops- ex satillite l755-s5353 inspiron e1505 desktop dimension 400/300
cleangreen

My 8 month old Toshiba C665 has got a loose left hinge, similar to your right hinge, and when I try closing it it is reluctant to close.

I am a certified electrician and electronic technician, (40yrs) NZ, and believe this type with the new deep set hinges have an error in manufacture, where I am told the brass seat that is moulded into the base plastic cover works loose with use, and I have always been very careful when using this model as from new it feels very unstable around the hinge are, when you open it up, it feels floppy and bends, so much I believe it it not rigidly fastened, and the movement loosens the plastic around the brass insert that the holding screws for the hinge eventually come loose or tear away.

Toshiba should recall these models as the earlier models with straight hinges like the Tecra M9 had no such problems.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

I agree that it seems like the C655 hinge style causes extra stress on the chassis mount.  Not exactly the pem nuts, but the plastic itself failing.  If I come across a broken one for cheap enough, I will repair it and post up a "how to".  My L655 has the same style hinge assembly as the C655, but I am extremely careful with it, so I am hoping I wont have this issue.

My fix will be to basically secure the mounts with epoxy.  I have looked, and see that there is room to do this, and have already given this idea to several people, and heard back positive results.  It's a pretty easy fix. 

Wayne555211

My laptop is only 7 months old with a receipt.  We tried to have the broken hinges fixed under warranty and were told that is not covered since "no plastic parts are covered".  Of course, the whole computer is plastic!

flopadmi

Dear I have the same problem exactly, Can you please suggest a solution 

KINGPIN

The same thing just happened to me also. I also thought it was a loose screw. I opened it this morning and I was shocked to see the mounts all broken out. My satellite c655 is just 3 months old, i had it bought in america and sent to me in the caribbean.IT was never dropped, i treated it like a child. Its really disappointing

sweetck94

[ Edited ]

The exact thing has happened to mine on both sides. I have to hold the coners tight when opening and closing the lid! I have had my computer now for a year and this started to happen about a month after having it, I never turned it in thinking they won't fix it and it's only mine doing it. Now I am looking into it more I am finding a lot of others like us that are having the same issue! Either Toshiba needs to recall this or fix them no matter how old they are if even the new ones less than 2 months old are doing it and the olders ones have been! 

nallapra

My laptop is also having considerble gap between both sides and can't close and open properly.When I took it to Toshiba service center,they told me to change the base enclosure.Do u think it fix the probelm.

dklsdavis

I too have a Toshiba C655 laptop with broken hinges.  Fortunately I purchased the extended warranty at Best Buy upon purchase, but I'm told the repair can take 2-4 weeks!  So I'll be out of service for up to a month due to poor workmanship/design. No loaner laptop is available at Best Buy, so how am I supposed to get my job done or my kids get their homework assignments?  We have no choice but to send the laptop in for repair, though.  The Geek at Best Buy said this is a very common problem with these models.  I'm very frustrated and disappointed in Toshiba.  Obviously, they are well aware of this design flaw and choose not to admit or repair the problem. 

reckid1986

I too have the same problem with this model. Called tech support and now waiting to hear back to see if they are going to do anything about it. If they need me to send it in ill probably just buy a base off ebay and reinforce it with epoxy before using it. 

joroba

Me too..same story, both sides! Not a warranty issue? I think not, obviously it is a poor design that should be honored and replaced by Toshiba to be made right by all of these consumers with the same exact issue. Come on Toshiba, step up and do the right thing. I have always been a big supporter of their laptops until till this point...it has become clear that this will likely be my last...

jsallington

Mine is also beginning to come loose. I think the problem lies with the springs that add "drag" to the lid when opening it or closing it. It would appear that, (on my laptop) they are placing far too much drag on the hinges, therefore placing too much stress on the metal-and-plastic anchors holding the lid on. I would like to take mine apart and weaken the hinge(s) by shortening the springs, but after flipping the laptop over and re-moving all of screws that I could find holding the bottom and top halves together, I still could not get the two sides apart.       Can anyone help?

Kristopher

I wished I did a little more research on this laptop. I had mine a year, which seems like a long time seeing other comments, before both hinges crapped out. Of course, they broke in the exact manner as this post. Also, I too closed the LCD with care every time and it barely left my desk. On top of everything, I've already had to replace the power cord. Im not happy with Toshiba at all, like others, this is going to be the last Toshiba product I buy. I wish I could find a laptop as strong as they were in the beginning. I still have all my laptops and the newer ones break more than the older one. There is something wrong when that's the truth.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

check youtube, I posted a video on how to fix this issue(just search c655 hinge).  The video is dry, but the fix works.  I just talked to the owner last night, and they said that the hinges are working great.

elvis_ng

My Satellite M500 too.. the left hinge have "tak" sound when opening the lid.. i think it will broke soon. what to do? can claim under warranty?

SquiRoFL

it's a lot simpler than what it seems. My brother's personal laptop, as well as two of these in the last few days have had the same issue. ALL three of them had the corner screws by the hinges (the MAIN support screws taking 75% of the hinge stress) missing. the LocTite material toshiba uses is not up to par with any other manufacturer, causing these screws to fall out, which in turn puts 100% of the stress of the other screws  (and metal grommets embedded inside the plastic) made to take a smaller amount of stress.

TL;DR: toshiba uses crappy screw-glue

disgruntled_tos

So my son got the Satellite C655 for Christmas 2011. He only needed it for minecraft so it seemed like a more than cabable laptop. How wrong.

Wish I had seen rewiews here first.

The hinge broke on the right side of the laptop, and he continued to use it, though not much time passed before the screen stopped working. We got him another one (ok so now I sound really dumb..). Anyways we put the broken one to one side until my wife said she could do with a new laptop, You know what? We should get the broken one repaired under warranty. HaHa..

You have all read the rest, pay for sending it back after explaining the reason for sending it back, and of course Sir, We at Tossiba will fix it for you.

So now... 

Subject
Quote Hold

Discussion Thread
 Response Via Email (Susan Herrschaft)12/11/2012 04:23 PM
Here are two pictures showing liquid damage.

Thank you for your patience,
Toshiba Repair Depot
 Customer By Phone (Entered by Toshiba Customer Relations)12/10/2012 04:04 PM
I would like to see the pictures
 Customer By Phone (Entered by Erika Sala)12/10/2012 04:00 PM
I have a case number **** Removed***. It said that they are attaching pictures and there's no picture.
 Response Via Email (Susan Herrschaft)12/10/2012 03:23 PM
Your computer is currently on a quote hold because we found LIQUID_DAMAGE_REPLACE SYSTEM BOARD_KEYBOARD. The standard warranty does not cover this type of issue. If you would like us to proceed with this repair there will be a charge of 
$ 325.00.We accept Visa, Mstr Cd & Amex. Please give us a call at 1-800-457-7777. If we do not hear back from you, we will send the unit back unrepaired on 12/14/12. The reference number is 1**** Removed***.
I am attaching the pictures of the damage

Question Reference #**** Removed***
Date Created: 12/10/2012 03:23 PM
Last Updated: 12/11/2012 04:23 PM

Pending – Waiting on Customer

Yeah... Well... Tossiba will not fix the hinge which has caused the screen to fail. They state water damage, and once the system board & keyboard are replaced they will send it back (please note - with the screen not working or the hinge fixed, so its useless.

Not sure what to do as I'm quite prepared to go via the Jams arbitration which is $400 though Tossiba will refund the cost. I'm looking at this and should speak to Jams http://www.jamsadr.com.

pictures attached that Tossiba sent me (very kindly)...

Toshiba corprate division called yesterday & you are correct in thinking that toshiba denies any faults with its hinges. It's all my sons fault & he has to pay for it even though he is 12 and cant work!!! Another big disaster should have purchased him an Apple like I have as their help is amasing, and not transfered to an agent in India that can't access information unless you allow then two minutes (maybe that is the connection speed of Toshiba computers)! 

I'm very unhappy and will be looking to get compensation.

rainerrr

Thank you for the comments, everyone. And thanks for the video, Drev.  I'm going to try that out.  Considering you have almost 2,000 hits, that means this is a huge problem (thousands more would never look for a repair solution).

While Toshiba support was nice, they did confirm it wouldn't be under warranty.  The problem started a week after it went out of warranty anyway.

So, my question: is it worth it to keep buying Toshiba products? My wife had another Satellite model that lasted her almost 3 years, so I picked this one up last year--she even picks her laptop up by the screen all the time. Has Toshiba's manufacturing standards degraded that quickly?   (Note: I understand I have a low-level, cheap laptop, but do expect it to have no manufacturing problems for about 2 years)

Thanks for the input!