averna

Satellite L675D-S7104 hard drive warning

Hello,

My computer blue-screened a couple times.  Now I am getting a Windows warning that a Hard Drive Error has been detected.

I purchased my Satellite back in July.  What can I do?

Thank you.

-Anthony

Regular Contributor
mikie39

Re: Satellite L675D-S7104 hard drive warning

Hopefully you have made or purchased recovery software in case the hard drive crashes completely.  If you haven't made recovery media you should do so as soon as possible (or buy a recovery set from Toshiba).  

Also, from my own experience with several dozen customer toshiba laptops, if you have a toshiba hard drive it WILL fail anywhere within 3 to 12 months -- I don't know who is making them for Toshiba but they need to STOP because the total lack of quality is destroying the Toshiba name.

Since it is so new you should still be under warranty.  At least I would hope so, although many of the companies now only offer 30 day warranty.  Call Toshiba or visit the warranty checking link below .....

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/globalEntitlement.jsp?nav=Warranty

Don't get me wrong, Toshiba is a GREAT laptop company and I wouldn't use or recommend anyone else, but their hard drives are purely CRAP.

Enjoy,

Mike

WillySixer

Re: Satellite L675D-S7104 crashed and now won't reload....

I was using my computer two days ago, and it went to blank screen and oversize mouse....now I can't get it to do anything....created a rescue disk, and that won't help...any ideas?  Not even sure what caused the computer to freeze up and crash?  Of course I didn't make a set of back-up disks.....do I need to reload Win7, etc. and if so will I loose everything on my hard drive?  Any help will be appreciated.. thanks, bill

Regular Contributor
mikie39

Go to the link below and order a set of recovery disks. Or, if you want to save $25.00, call toshiba and explain you couldn't get backup disks made because the PC kept crashing (they may send you a set for free).

https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceUnitVerification.jsp

You should also invest in a good virus protection program (since all this could be due to virus).  I would recommend Bit Defender 2012 internet security.  Go to bitdefender.com if interested.  Bit Defender has been the highest rated and most effective protection for many years and continues to lead the pack.

To recover data from your old HDU the best bet is to remove it from your PC, use one of the external devices (like in the link below) to place it in and copy the things you need from it to another PC.  Remember -- you can NOT copy applications like word, excel, etc.  They must be reloaded when the restore disk is run or from DVD if you added any apps that were not on the toshiba basic load.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182197

If the data recovery sounds over your head ask a tech or a friend who works on computers to help.  You could also get it all done for you at a computer repair place, but I expect it would run around $100.=

Let us know if we can advise you further,

Mike

WillySixer

thanks Mike....had hoped that I wouldn't have to go that route, but have been thinking that was an option...not sure if I have destroyed some sectors on my hard drive, and hence it won't open or possibly just had the hard drive die, as I have read this is not the best HD...I have Norton installed, but that still might not have stopped a virus, if that is what it is....coincidentally your link is for Egghead, and that is where the laptop came from a few months ago...so will try to save what I can on the HD, and move on...won't lose too much...so might just cut my losses and move on....more trying to find out what is the reason for the problem, before I go too much further ie. virus, or hd failure or....so was hoping that this symptom was definitely a known issue...thanks, again

WillySixer

so still need some more help....I have now tried restore disks, reloading win7, and all I basically get is the computer eventually going back to trying to find the problems..at this point, I am just trying to restore it to original settings....basically if I leave it sitting long enough I get to that point..occasionally I can get to a screen that should allow me to reset to original, but it won't go there but instead gets me back to the repair loop...any help would be great...frustrated, bill