fish4specs

Satellite C655 screws falling out - anyone else

[ Edited ]

I have a Satellite C655 bought in December '11. Couple weeks ago I pick it up from desk and heard a tiny little tap sound. Looked around and found a small screw from bottom of case. I replaced it and checked and tightened all other screws. Then last night, I was closing the screen and heard a click and noticed a small gap between the top of the case and the bottom. Looking aroung I again found a screw on the table.

This seems to be a recurring problem. I have seen a few posts on the board about screws but not a huge number. Have other noticed the being a recurring problem or is it somewhat limited. Didn't take note on the first screw but on the second i didn't see any thread lock material. Anyone know if this was a manufacturing spec. I've only had one other laptop (a Compaq from 2001) and It had blue thead lock on the screws. The laptop does go through heat cycles, just being turned on and off. Heat cycles and mobility seem like enough to cause screws to loosen without thread lock.

I'm not trying to bash Toshiba. This is my first Toshiba and for the most part I'm pretty satisfied. Just wondering if there was a manufacturing oversite. Should I send it in to be checked? Should I just buy some Locktite and put a little on each screw or could this cause some warranty issue?

Thanks for any input

Dan

Frequent Advisor
drev9

Re: Satellite C655 screws falling out - anyone else

All of the Toshibas I have owned and worked on have had loctite on the screws.  I have yet to work on a C655 though, so I can't say for sure on your model.  My mother's dell used to loose a screw here and there, so I used Loctite 242 on it, which worked perfectly.  The 242 keeps the screws from backing out on their own, but allows you to remove them with a screwdriver if needed. 

Zachazoo

Yes my screws fallout all the time and im missing to back ones right now which is makeing my screen have play and i dont know were i can buy any!

yallison

I have also lost a screw on my C655 Satellite.  It show F6 to be the one I need.  Best Buy was not able to help me.  Any information as to where one can be found would be greatly appreciated!

Frequent Advisor
drev9

ebay.  People sell screw sets from used computers for a couple bucks. 

Shoal_Creek

After measuring with my calipers (that measure to the nearest thousandth of an inch) and then converting to metric, these screws appear to be 2.5x6mm wafer head with a 0.45 pitch. Just had one pop out and disappear today. Pulled another one and measured it with the calipers and M2.5x6 would only be a few thousandths of an inch away from my measurements (well within tolerances).

jojo0766

i have the same exact problem, its the cheap plastic body case they use, the screw on mine disappeared into the casing though! and it was never tightened???? toshiba will not work with you, i tried, its my first toshiba and my last! i feel for you, someone told me to maybe use superglue and clamp it?

farmeremt

I have had the same problem with ours. When I sent ours in the first time to be repaired under warranty all they did was glued it in place. I found this out when the left side went bad after the warranty went out. I can work on computers but Toshiba bottom case where the hinges are mounted strips out. Bad design and they will not fix it. I fixed the left side myself and now the side they fixed is going bad again. I have found where they improved this problem and I am going to order a new bottom case. I believe Toshiba should at least replace the case but they will not. They rather lose customers than to keep them. I will never purchase a Toshiba product again.

GuitarManJack

I have been having the same problems as well with my laptop. I do think it is a pretty decent laptop and everything, but when all of the screws are falling out, that kind of makes my wanting of another Toshiba product plumit. Best of luck with your model but I have just about had enough *Kerplink* to last a lifetime.

---------------------------------------

Jack

Techie/Musician

Best Budget Graphics Cards

sannin

my laptop is actually lifting up the scew if not coming out at all its stuck. I honestly dont want to loose my laptop because i love it so much,on top of that the scew is not tightened i tried but its not working. I think the insides damaged.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

Just search C655 Hinge repair on youtube.  I put a video on there to show how to fix this issue.

sannin

are you talking to me? i will go look at it right right now thanks very much!!!!!

sannin

thanks so much . I am not a professional but is it possible to do it myself??

mcpheex3

I have had this same problem. It started within the first couple months I had my C655. First the right side, then the left side. It lifts open the laptop case when I try to lift up the screen. First I moved around some screws. But now so many have fallen out there are none left to replace it. 

Now, the power cord opening has shifted and I can no longer plug in my cord!

It really upset me that Toshiba wouldn't at least provide the screws and instead sells them for $27-$60! This will be my last Toshiba. 

Thank you for posting the video. I will go check it out.

Regular Contributor
LumberGumRubber

[ Edited ]

Well obviously, whoever designs these systems like this has a screw loose. Would be most interesting though, to pick up ones' laptop off the Desk (or the floor) and only the keyboard came up with the rest remaining in its resting place. To say the least, it would have to be rather embarrasing, especially if there were two dozen ASUS owners sitting by laughing!!! Consequently, I'm going to keep a bottle of Molasses and Crazy Glue right handy!!! :-]

Eaglebeck

The screws dropping out are due t a design flaw. The plastic the holds the brass "nut" which in turn holds the hinge screws breaks. I have a repair shop and 90% of the C655s that come in have this issue, I think the c655 is a good value and have sold many new and used ones. My wife and in-laws all have these and every one of them has had to have the screws on the back corners repaired. I logged on to this forum today to see if Toshiba has offered any form of fix, apparently not.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

Eaglebeck, if you search ebay, there is a chassis available with an upgraded hinge mount design for the C655.  I have seen a few posts on the board, saying that it works well compared to the original design.

LukeCox

Hi fish4specs,

This is actually a known issue by Toshiba. You may take this to any Toshiba Warranty Repair centre in your area and have this fixed for free. There has been a new bottom case released for all Satellite and Satellite Pro models (C650, C655,C650D, L650). This issue is coverable by warranty even if your unit is out of it's warranty period. They will replace the bottom assembly of your machine and re-fit the screws. In some cases Toshiba may also replace the Top assembly, Hinges (L/R), and any cables that may have been damaged, as well as the LCD mask & assembly.

Simply quote the following Engineering notice: TAP-EN-20130202-A 

Hope this has helped you out and if it has, throw me some Kudos :smileytongue:

cll
cll

I've had one screw on bottom of my Satellite Protege R705 that was very loose.  I discovered this when checking for missing screw because I had one fall off of it while picking it up.  I know it fell from  from my computer because it hit my right hand as I picked it up & it looks similar to the ones on the bottom of the computer.

My problem is that I have screws falling out of the INTERIOR of my computer because there are NO missing external screws! 

Another one fell out today when I picked the laptop up by the top of the screen (while it was open).  I did not see this one fall but heard it hit the floor & it was exactly the same type of screw as the first one.  Again, there are not screws missing from the exterior of my computer, or the opened DVD player.  So far my computer still works OK, kind of.  I'm having issues but technically everything runs on it.

robert62

Who did you (Luke Cox) contact to get this information.  I cannot get any of the "Toms" or " Johns" to acknowledge the problem in the first place and they refer to the Toshiba Repair Center for out of warranty repairs?