HotCakeZ

Satellite A65-126 Hard Drive Failure?

Ok, Today i was searching the internet and reading an e-book in adobe reader. And my laptop began to freeze. (which has been doing it alot lately) and then i got the dreaded blue screen of death. laptop restarted. Loaded normally up until the windows XP boot screen. it was a black screen then a gray bar goes around teh screen. and then i get an error. Windows was unble to start file is missing or corrputed. ( not the exact message) C:/windows appatch/Cant remember the file name. Read windows recover from setup disk.

So i ran my windows xp media center disk. during driver dection. the latop would just turn off. it did that a few times. and then i finally got able to to go further with the setup go an error stating there was an error with the hard drive. i ran a check disk on the hard drive it said everything was good. but yet im until to boot up or format.

i got a few different errors on start up of the laptop. one looks normal checking everything but it keeps repeteing over and over. and one sayin hard drive disk error push ctl atl del. Also. the hard drive makes a clicking noise when its running its constant.

Is it a hard drive issue? if so. what kind of hard driver would i need? my brother has a dell laptop he dont use due to power adapter plug in problems. Im not sure its model but should the hard drive work/fit in mine? my hard drive says ATA/IDE on it. Can i only use that kind?

Thank.

Regular Advisor
Rincewind

Re: Satellite A65-126 Hard Drive Failure?

HotCakeZ wrote:

Ok, Today i was searching the internet and reading an e-book in adobe reader. And my laptop began to freeze. (which has been doing it alot lately) and then i got the dreaded blue screen of death. laptop restarted. Loaded normally up until the windows XP boot screen. it was a black screen then a gray bar goes around teh screen. and then i get an error. Windows was unble to start file is missing or corrputed. ( not the exact message) C:/windows appatch/Cant remember the file name. Read windows recover from setup disk.

So i ran my windows xp media center disk. during driver dection. the latop would just turn off. it did that a few times. and then i finally got able to to go further with the setup go an error stating there was an error with the hard drive. i ran a check disk on the hard drive it said everything was good. but yet im until to boot up or format.

i got a few different errors on start up of the laptop. one looks normal checking everything but it keeps repeteing over and over. and one sayin hard drive disk error push ctl atl del. Also. the hard drive makes a clicking noise when its running its constant.

Is it a hard drive issue? if so. what kind of hard driver would i need? my brother has a dell laptop he dont use due to power adapter plug in problems. Im not sure its model but should the hard drive work/fit in mine? my hard drive says ATA/IDE on it. Can i only use that kind?

Thank.

The specs for the A65-S126 say that it uses an Enhanced IDE (ATA-6) hard drive, so that's what you need to replace it with.  The A65-S126 came with a 60 GB hard drive, so you can replace it with one up to 120 GB with no chance of a problem.  Over 137 GB, you may run into the 48-bit LBA limitation, where the BIOS cannot recognize the drive properly.

As far as using the drive from a Dell, you need to be able to set the jumpers on the drive to Drive0 or 'master'.  Dell has used cable select drives in the past, and these drives are not jumperable and therefore usable in a Toshiba.  You won't know in this particular case until you pull the drive and look.

HotCakeZ

Thanks for the information :smileyhappy: So, From the sounds of my problem its a hard drive issue for sure? Becuase i dont want to run out and get a new one when its not that. im cheap :smileytongue:

Regular Advisor
Rincewind

HotCakeZ wrote:

Thanks for the information :smileyhappy: So, From the sounds of my problem its a hard drive issue for sure? Becuase i dont want to run out and get a new one when its not that. im cheap :smileytongue:

I can't guarantee that it's the drive, but all the symptoms point to it.  Note that chkdsk does not test the drive, only the file structure that exists on the drive, so running it and finding no errors is not an indication that the drive is OK.  Drive testing software like SpinRite costs more than a new drive.

If you buy a new drive and it doesn't turn out that the old one is bad, you can always buy a $20 case for it and use it for backup.  Oh, sorry, forgot you said you were cheap...

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Before you attempt to swap out the drive I would determince what brand of hard drive it is.  Go to that manufacturers website and download their self booting diagnostic disk and run the exhaustive test on your drive.  That should determine once and for all if the drive is indeed bad or not. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

HotCakeZ

Would be hard to do that since my laptop dont have a floppy drive. also now its not decting a hard drive. so im sure its the hard drive i get a new one on thrusday will determine what is what then

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Not difficult at all.  Just download the ISO that creates a self booting CD unless you don't have a working CD/DVD drive either.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

HotCakeZ

i never thought about that. not much of a computer tech. ill give that a shot :smileyhappy: thanks

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Good luck.  Post back if you have more questions.