TimmyB

Satellite A135 issues, need help! Reformat/Restore?

[ Edited ]

Ok...so here recently my Satellite has been running horribly! I have cleaned and scanned everything, and still its just running like it has some sort of bug(though nothing shows up). I dont have the restore cd's, however...I have a plain copy of Windows Vista. My question/concerns here, are if I install this version of Windows to my laptop, will it

A)Act as a "Restore" CD and set things back to a "Factory" condition with a clean start, which I would prefer or simply move the problems with the new version?

B)Will it wipe out all my Toshiba drivers, since I am changing from their Windows install, and if so...how do I get them back?

Please help! I need my laptop!!! Thanks so much to anyone who can help me! :smileyhappy: If you need the info, I am running a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 with Windows Vista Home Premium. The Windows CD I have is the new Windows 7. Thanks again!

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Satellite A135 issues, need help! Reformat/Restore?

[ Edited ]

If you use your disk you will definitely wipe out your drivers.  If it is Windows 7 many of your existing drivers won't work anyway.  You'll need to download drivers by:

1. Clicking on the Product Support Link at the top of this page
  2. Clicking on the BLUE TEXT LINK that says Show All Models
  3. Entering in your models information
  4. Clicking on the Downloads Tab
  5. Filter for your OS
  6. Download to your hearts content.

You can restore to the factory out of box state by using the process detailed starting on page 60 of your User's Guide.  If you can't find it you can download if from the User's Guide Tab at the above mentioned location.  You can also create your own Recovery DVD's by using the proceedure outlined starting on page 57 of that same User's Guide.

If you need the laptop I would avoid installing Windows 7 at this time.  Driver supoort is still in the development stage. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

TimmyB

I have tried all the steps to restore back to factory settings, but this model apparently HAS to have a CD to reboot from. So, my next question then is this. I have access to another Toshiba Satellite, but it is a different model then mine. Would it work if I created a Recovery CD from this laptop, and move it to mine? It does have the same OS, as well as basic specs. Just one is running with AMD, the other is Intel. Once again, mine is a Satellite A135-S4527. The one I can make the CD from is a Satellite L305D-S59222. Please help! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Might work, but I wouldn't count on it as the Drivers and settings would be different.  If you can't boot to the Recovery Partition and can't create them your best bet would be to either order a set from Toshiba for your specific system or try a clean install from whatever Windows Vista or 7 Installation Disk you have available.  You can download the drivers and hope for the best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.