curiousgeezer
Accepted Solution

Radio off/on

[ Edited ]

May as well fess up now, I'm really tech-stupid! When I attempt to access my "local connections", I get a message that a connection is not possible, because the "Radio is turned off". Previous attempts to "Turn On Radio" did not work! And now, I can't even find the the OFF/ON setting! Pleeease help!!

Peter

Re: Radio off/on

Please include your full model number when posting problems on the forums. It can be found on the bottom of your laptop.

- Peter
curiousgeezer

I left my laptop info out of the original post.

It's a Toshiba P745-S4217

Peter

Just to be clear , you can't connect to your network at all? You're using Wi-Fi, correct?

There should be a strip of touch-activated buttons above the keyboard. One controls the wireless. Make sure the wireless is enabled. After that's turned on, hold Fn and press F8 to turn on the wireless software. It should show an image in the center of the screen to indicate that it's toggled.

- Peter
nascarfamily

I'm having the same problem, but when I use the Fn/F8, it tells me, "Wireless communication is disabled. Please turn on the Wireless Communication Switch." I have no idea where this "switch" is. The Laptop is a M645-S4114.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

According to the specs of your machine, there is a wireless on/off switch in the System Control Panel located just above the keyboard and just below the screen.  Consult your User's Guide to learn what all those buttons do.  It is at Start/All Programs/MyToshiba/User's Guide. Peter mentioned that in the post just before yours!

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
curiousgeezer

Well, somehow it's comforting to see there is someone else having the same problem!

Anyway, here's the picture so far-   I am getting conflicting messages! When I touch the "Wireless" button at the top of the keyboard, I get a message in the center of the screen that says "Wireless switch is off". But when I touched it a second time the center message changed to, "Wireless switch is on"! Now, all the while I am doing my little button touching act, there is a separate message down in the right hand corner of my screen informing me that, "Hardware Radio Switch Off"!  The corner message (though interesting) doesn't seem to have any connection to reality, as your button touching trick (at the top of the keyboard), worked just fine! I am now able to connect to my local wireless networks! Of course, first I will have to talk someone out of the key, or access code, but at least now I have "4 Networks Available", as opposed to, "No connection available while radio is switched off"!

Thanks very much for your help!!  That was too easy, maybe I should run an ad, "Free room and board for anyone who completely understands the workings of the personal PC"                 Toodles, cg

nascarfamily

I had gone through the User's Guide a multitude of times today and have tried to use the "switch" your speaking of, but mine doesn't register anything when I touch it to "turn it on or off". I don't get the messages your speaking of "cg"; I wish it had been that easy! It's almost like the computer isn't registering that "switch/button" at all. Now what?

Cindee

Peter

I'm glad it worked for you cg! Trust me, wireless networks provide a lot of headache for many of us!

- Peter
Peter

nascarfamily, let's try reinstalling TVAP.

Toshiba Value Added Package(v1.3.19_64; 09-30-2010; 48.16M)

Hopefully that touch button works after reinstalling that. You'll want to enable Wi-Fi by touching that button and then also pressing Fn+F8 to toggle the wireless. Confusing!

- Peter
nascarfamily

Peter, this is great and I was thinking that something needed to be reinstalled, but how do I do that when I can't get on the internet from our Toshiba computer. Right now I am on the internet using one of our Dell laptops. How do I reinstall the file to the Toshiba laptop when I can't get on-line from it? Hope my question makes sense. Please bear with me...I'm not real computer savvy!

Peter

Your question definitely makes sense. Can you download it on another computer and move it on a USB stick?

- Peter
nascarfamily

That is exactly what I will do! Thanks so much Peter!!

Matt1

I am having the same Problem with my Toshiba M645-S1441 model. I cannot connect to the internet because it says my hardware radio switch has been turned off.  The top touch strip above the keyboard on the laptop does not work, because of previous problems.  I took the laptop into GeekSquad (tech service) twice after two malfunctions of this top touch strip. They gave it back to me with everything working except this top strip.  The hardware radio switch is located on this strip, and therefore I cannot touch it to turn it back on.  I also tried the FN key with F8 to turn it on, but all I get is "Internet Connection Disabled, please turn on your hardware radio switch".  So, is there another switch somewhere on the laptop I can use to turn it on? Or somewhere in the software I can go to enable it?Please help

Peter

Matt, are you sure you don't mean M645-S4114?

If so, try downloading and installing TVAP.

Toshiba Value Added Package(v1.3.19_64; 09-30-2010; 48.16M)

- Peter
Igorkey

I have a p745-s4217 and am having the same issue. The wireless button above my keyboard makes the glick sound but it doesn't toggle between on and off. I have tried the FN + F8 but it doesn't do anything either just says wireless communication is disabled but I can't enable it no matter how many times I press it. I download some sort of Toshiba Value Package that brought up new flash cards but the F8 function disappeared. I did a system restore to the computer from last week when it worked fine and I tried to remove the battery, A/C, reset the BIOS and still nothing. What else can I do?

I remember there use to be a way to click on a help window embedded in windows that would turn it on.