Occasional Contributor
Prspaniard

RAM for P75-A7200

What are the RAM specs for the currently installed sodimm in the two hidden slots on the P75? I want to add two modules to the empty slots. I am looking to add 8gigs X 2. What is the current voltage and CL. And who sells them?

Thanks for any info.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: RAM for P75-A7200

Satellite P75-A7200

See the spec above. I like to get memory from Toshiba or use Kingston's best.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Prspaniard

Jerry , thanks for the reply.

I saw the specs earlier.  It did not have any info on the CL or voltage values.  The RAM slots on the bottom has 1.5 DDR STD written.  CPU Z says CL is 11.  I am trying to match the RAM already installed.

I could replace all RAM if I could get to the hidden RAM slots. Do you know how to remove the keyboad to get to the hidden slots?  

Or I could go with what is listed on the empty slots.   Or will any of my options work with mixing voltage and CL between hidden RAM and empty slots.

CPU Z says CL 11 , which means Votage is 1.35.  But, empty slots says 1.5, might mean CL 9.

Looking for advise on what others have done.  What do you think?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'm a Windows guy.

Dave (drev9) can probably answer those questions.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
JeffInSeattle

Best Buy employees I dealt with used the Crucial website to look up the RAM requirements when I bought the P75-A7200.

Just type p75-a7200 into the search at crucial.com, the database knows about our laptop.

(http://www.crucial.com/search/searchresults.aspx?keywords=p75-a7200)

I ended up buying 2x8GB Corsair Vengence DDR3-1600 CL11 ($140), because that was what they had on hand. Works like a champ.

With the P75-A's 8GB I now have a 24GB configuration. I thought about filling the other two slots with 8GB sticks but I was worried about voiding my warranty. I've been checking Windows' Taskmanager memory monitor occasionally and it shows that I am barely using half the installed RAM even with 200+ layers in Photoshop. I probably could have gone cheaper and just installed 2x4GB for a 16GB configuration, but I'm happy with the spare headroom--room to grow.

*** My Toshiba: P75-A7200, 24GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 720GB HD, Win 8.1 ***
Occasional Contributor
Prspaniard

I purchased the Kingston KTT-S3CL/8G. I installed in the two empty slots until I can figure out how to remove the keyboard. The fit was exact and seen upon boot. I use VMware and the original eight gigs of ram was above 90 percent used. I would like to replace the two eight gigs with the two four gigs.

Toshiba support told me to ask BestBuy for help. Why is there no communication from Toshiba support?

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad R 61. When I needed help Lenovo provided schematic . I also did not have the screw that locks in the CD drive and Lenovo send me a bag of screws which included every screw for the R 61.

What's the deal with Toshiba not supporting the P75-A7200 ? Or Withholding information ?
Occasional Advisor
JeffInSeattle

[ Edited ]

When I was deciding which laptop to buy I pared the list down to two, the P75 and a Lenovo of similar spec. The Lenovo was ~$300 more (with a worse screen resolution) before Best Buy put the P75 on sale ($380 savings in the end). I'd say a good portion of that $300 goes to providing customer service. Hey, at least we get the Toshiba Forum :smileywink:

RE: Toshiba sending you to Best Buy for help with the two hidden ram slots

I'm guessing, but I think they are sending you to the Geek Squad because 1) they are not trained to instruct you on disassembling the laptop, 2) they don't have the info you require, and 3) they are helping you avoid voiding your warranty.

I doubt the Geek Squad will be much help, though. I asked for advice from them on finding the two hidden slots when I picked up the laptop. The folks staffing the desk at my Best Buy just shrugged and said they didn't know.

winstondon

[ Edited ]

Hello, I have the same set CMSX16HX3M2A1600C10, cosair vengance two 8gb DDR3L 1600 cards :smileysurprised: 

They seems to work ok till I update my Bios to 1.1 today! The computer just wouldn't turn on with any of the  RAM slot ocupped by either card!

Then I remembered what I saw on the Bios update history.. one of the line was...

• Added: System shut-down process when unsupported 1.5V DDR3 RAM modules are installed.

I am sure my cards are fine

Is anybody having problem with the Cosair Vengance 2 x 8GB on your P75 after the Bios update like me? :smileyembarrassed: 

If someone have no problem with the same cards.. perhaps I should send my laptop back to toshiba?

Occasional Advisor
JeffInSeattle

This is an interesting post. I was unaware that there was a BIOS update. What issues are addressed by the update/why did you update?

I can't find any info on CMSX16HX3M2A1600C10, so I assume you mean CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10; I have the same RAM configuration. I'm not having any problems, but your post motivated me to test the memory and got me to thinking.

So I ran the Microsoft built-in memory diagnostic tool in Basic, Standard, and Extended modes (had to kill the Extended test after 11 hours because I needed to work) with "No Problems Found."

I purchased the Corsair memory because the BestBuy geek squad recommended it (after a floor employee sold me incompatible memory). They also told me that the L in DDR3L was implied in the Corsair memory. Apparently they were wrong. The Corsair website is a little screwy and hard to use but I found our RAM (corsair webpage for cmsx16gx3m2a1600c10) and on that page they recommend 1.35V for 4th generation i7 machines. (So now it appears that the L in DDR3L means 1.35V.) But, I couldn't get their website to provide a SKU or a webpage for the 1.35V memory they mentioned.

I'm left scratching my head. The RAM we have works fine (pre-BIOS update), but is 1.5V in a computer that appears to require 1.35V. When I use my hardware inventory tool (Speccy), it tells me that the Samsung memory that came with the P75-A (in the two hidden slots) is actually 1.28V, which I've never heard of before. And over at Tom's Hardware a one-year old post from a "memory master" says, "DDR3L runs at both 1.50v and 1.35v so on a laptop it's good to further reduce power drain IF the OEM BIOS will actually allow the lower voltage..."

On this laptop, with this memory, I've worked on multiple 4GB, 200+ layer images using Photoshop with no complaints from the software. The BIOS (pre-update) seems to like it. I'm not sure what to think, but I'm not gonna fix anything (BIOS) if it doesn't appear broken. But your post has unsettled me, there may be long-term considerations to running mismatched sticks of RAM or the hardware may be tolerant. I welcome more info.

BTW: the built-in memory diagnostic can be found by typing "memory" at the Start screen, clicking Settings over on the right, then picking "Diagnose your computer's memory problems" from the list on the left. It requires a restart and runs in what looks like DOS/PowerShell.

winstondon

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply and  the constructive advise and informations.

I uploaded the bios from V1.0 to V1.1 as recommanded by the Service station program included by Toshiba 1 day after I powered it up. 

I will try out the dianostic, I wonder if there is a way to run the dianostic with my set of CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10?

Thanks!

winstondon

From the look of it.. the new 4th generation platform want to run with 1.35V RAMs (seem from many other haswell laptops). 

Anyone interested buying my P75-A7200 :smileyvery-happy:?

Occasional Contributor
Prspaniard

[ Edited ]
I am surprised to to read about the 1.5 RAM issue. The two slots have the 1.5V written on them.

Take a look at this 1.35v memory.

CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9

http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-16gb-high-performance-laptop-memory-upgrade-kit-cmsx16gx3m2b1600...
adachee

[ Edited ]

Your not the only one who is having issues. I updated BIOS yesterday. Same issue! I'm using PNY brand. I was running 16 GB in addtion to the factory installed RAM. Once I updated BIOS, my laptop would not boot. Once I removed installed memory laptop booted up with no issues. I blame TOSHIBA for not properly testing BIOS release.

I was told by "tech support" to monitor system for issues. You are not alone. Contact tech support and let them know of your issue. Hopefully they can fix this and release a new update. The last option is to send your laptop back and have them reflash BIOS to old version.

UPDATE : BIOS update does not support 1.5v memory. Do not update BIOS or your system will not boot up with 1.5v memory installed

Change History:

Added: System shut-down process when unsupported 1.5V DDR3 RAM modules are installed. *****(DOES NOT MATTER WHICH BRAND)*****

http://support.toshiba.com/support/driversResults?freeText=1200005515.

ThePawofRizzo

"I updated BIOS yesterday. Same issue!"

Same problem for me as well: update to 1.1 and with some G.Skill RAM it wouldn't boot.  I took the RAM out, and it boots fine.  So, I downloaded the 1.0 version of the BIOS again, and reapplied it. Then, put the RAM back in.  1.1 is supposed to also deal with some Windows 8.1  updates, but I'll see how everything goes without the new BIOS as I don't want to buy more RAM right now.  Hopefully a 1.2 BIOS update will fix the issue.

nullptr

Hello

I was wondering if you guys were able to downgrade the bios to 1.00 successfully.
I have the same problem and don't think I can buy/replace the sticks.
Hope TOSHIBA can fix this issue ASAP.

Regards.

ThePawofRizzo

Sorry for not getting back sooner nullptr.  Yeah I rolled back the BIOS to 1.00 just fine.  Just download the 1.00 BIOS and downgrade using the same steps you use to upgrade the BIOS, and choose to go back to 1.00.

Thell

FYI, for people experiencing the "won't start" issue on brand new machines (when they haven't done any updates or any such thing...  Newly purchased machines can (and should) have more recent BIOS code installed from Toshiba, so don't freak out; just check the voltage of your ram, and if it is 1.5 exchange it and try again.

Rolling back the BIOS is a temporary 'work-around' and not a fix.  You never know if/when you may want to update in the future and it'd suck to have to make the decision based on a few sticks of memory.

dmdavis1957

You can reflash your own bios back to the 1.0 version.  You will need to take out the ram that is 1.5v and then boot up and then reflash using the 1.0 version.  I wasn't sure if it would do this but it will ( at least it did on mine).  Once back to the 1.0 version I then put may 16 gb of the 1.5v back in and everything is fine.  There is a newer version out now version1.4 but it makes no mention of fixing this back so that the 1.5v ram will work.  also i know everyone says not to update the bios unless you are having problems but Toshiba's website says this fixes the problems you are going to have with windows 8.1.  So basically if you don't update the bios don't update the windows unless you are wanting headaches.

Occasional Contributor
hardfive

Since bios 1.5 is out, and this thread helped me so much, I wanted to update it.

Bios 1.5 still does not allow 1.5v ram. When I updated to 1.5 (straight from 1.0) then tried to install ram I had from a previous laptop, laptop wouldn't even turn on.

I flashed back to bios 1.0 and am happy to report my 1.5v ram works perfect and my system recognizes it.