rmrzero
Accepted Solution

Problem running in normal mode (sound card error?)

[ Edited ]

Hello.

So I've had similar problems with my Toshiba Satellite A205 before, but this time I'm hoping to get to the core of the problem. To be honest, I'm ignorant when it comes to the inner mechanics of a laptop. My laptop runs magnificently in safe mode. However, running in normal mode is an exception; when I choose to run in normal mode, it errors after the "Welcome" screen disappears and the screen turns black. Sometimes I get a cursor, and others I just get a black screen and my hardrive seems to be busy with a solid blue light for several minutes. Also, on occassion, it goes a step further (after leaving it to do its thing for almost 15 minutes) and loads the desktop and my desktop items, but performance skyrockets and it wont open up anything. However, safe mode works just fine. I also noticed that last night, even though my volume was all the way up, I would get the blue login screen but no login tone. After giving up for the night, this morning I was excited to hear the login tone as well as see my desktop in grasp, but it completely froze several minutes later.... I was able to see that my computer had my volume all the way up but the login tone in normal mode was very VERY faint.

I'm currently running in normal mode, and everything is working exceptionally well, however I cannot activate my sound devices nor test anything about sound in safe mode. I've done everything (rollback, boot repair, memory test) except for full system restore. The last two times, I gave up too easily and just inserted the repair disc and that was that, back to scratch and everything began working again. However, my apathy towards it was due to the fact that the last two times were when my laptop was fairly new, so I hadn't had much stuff on it at the time. However, now is not the time... I have lots of things I wouldn't mind losing, but I also have quite a few gigs I am willing to do just about anything to preserve.... Unfortunately, Vista cannot recognize my USB flash drive and my SanDisc reader is disabled in safe mode, so it seems I'm out of options for backing up my memory... (of course there may be other solutions that I know nothing about).

My very last resort is to just lose everything and start over, but I know that if I do that, it will only happen again. I'm hoping to get to the root of this problem asap. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Message Edited by rmrzero on 12-06-2008 10:21 AM
Message Edited by rmrzero on 12-06-2008 10:24 AM
Message Edited by rmrzero on 12-06-2008 10:34 AM
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Problem running in normal mode (sound card error?)

Unfortunately, Vista cannot recognize my USB flash drive and my SanDisc reader is disabled in safe mode, so it seems I'm out of options for backing up

Here are two ways of reaching your data.

(1) Download and burn an Ubuntu live CD. You should be able to boot that and access your peripherals as well as the hard drive. There's a description here.

(2) Remove the hard drive, mount it in an external enclosure, and access it from another computer.

-Jerry