Will241987
Accepted Solution

Print screen button isn't working.

Hello everyone. I'm a new Toshiba owner.

First thing is, the laptop has given me 0 problems since i first got it 25 days ago. But whenever i try to print screen, i see the button, but each time i press it, it takes me to the bottom of the page.

My toshiba is a L870 by the way. Thanks in advance.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Print screen button isn't working.

[ Edited ]

Try holding down the FN key while you hit PrtSc key.  This should give you the whole screen.  If you just want the active window, press FN+ALT+PrtSc. I assume you know that the Print Screen action just copies the screen to the clipboard.  You have to then paste it in whatever application is desired.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Will241987

Thank you so much. It's indeed FN + prtsc button.

sube_s

Print-screen

How to find Print-screen button in Toshiba keyboard and how to Print the screen shot

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Print-screen

[ Edited ]

The Print Screen (PRTSC) key is to the upper right of the keyboard just above the 10-keypad. I explained above how to do a Print Screen. I then type Paint (this can be other picture manipulation software if you prefer) in the Start/Search box and click on Paint.  In Paint, click on Paste.  Then click on Save As and give the picture a name and select where to save it. Then, you can refer to that location to use the picture any where else you want to. 

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
shiviolet

Print-screen button not working

I have a Satellite P775D, running Windows 7 HP SP1 64 Bit and am also unable to get print screen to work. I am holding the FN key, while pressing the END key, which is alternately labeled PRTSC, and nothing gets copied to the clipboard.

I am quite familiar with doing print screens, and how it is supposed to work...but for some reason this one doesn't.

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Print-screen button not working

[ Edited ]

Is the FN key working otherwise?  For example, does it bring up the Flash Cards?  If so, try a simple restart. 

C.B.

shiviolet

Flash Cards? Not sure what those are...this is my first Toshiba...

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

See your User's Guide starting on page 209. I see they now call them Toshiba Cards or Hot key Cards.  If you post back again, please include your complete model info as in my examples below.

C.B.

shiviolet

Toshiba Satellite P775D-S7144 Windows 7 HP SP1 64 Bit, and no, I do not have flash cards or hot key cards, or any other response when pressing the key

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Uninstall TVAP (Toshiba Value Added Package) using Control panel, Programs and Features.  Download THIS TVAP and install.

As far as using Print Screen is concerned.  Even if we get that working,  I recommend using the Windows 7 Snipping Tool which is much more versatile than Print Screen.  With it, you can print the full screen, only the active screen OR any part of a screen easily. Give it a try and play with it a few minutes and I believe you will never use Print Screen again.  Type Snip in the Start/Search box and hit Enter. Later, you can make a shortcut for your desktop. See HERE for a video tutorial about the tool.

C.B.

shiviolet

Followed your instructions, FN key still not responding, but I like the Snipping Tool! Thank you for that...

Any other ideas as to why the FN key suddenly is not working? Also, my Toshiba folder is now missing from all programs...what is going on???

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Obviously, you have more problems than your original question about Print Screen.

First, if you are still under warranty, you might want to call Toshiba Tech Support at 1-800-457-7777 and they will work with you in real time.

As for the FN key functionality, if TVAP doesn't make it work, there is only one other alternative.  That is to recover your computer back to the out-of-box state that existed the day you first started it. See your User's Guide I referenced for you before, "Recovering the internal storage drive" starting on page 62,  for a complete explanation of what this does and directions of how to do it. That action would also bring back your Toshiba folder to Start, All Programs.

If you don't want to do this and your Flash Cards/Hot Key Cards are still active, hover your mouse near the top edge of your screen and the Flash Cards will drop down and you can select and use them with the mouse rather than the FN+F# keys. If that doesn't occur, you will have to find a file labeled Flash Card Settings or Hot Key Settings or similar where you can select that option.

As far as your Toshiba Folder missing from All Programs is concerned, I doubt it went missing all by itself but it is certainly possible.  In any event, even though the folder may be missing from the Start/All programs location, chances are very good that it still exists on your machine.  Go to Start/Computer/C Drive/Program Files & then Program Files X86.  You will find a Toshiba Folder in each of those files and all of your Toshiba Features and Utilities will be there somewhere.

Good Luck!

C.B.

shiviolet

I am an experienced user, and am not in the habit of deleting folders containing utilities for the laptop. This is the second one I have gotten, since the first one would not power off.

I have found the Toshiba files where you indicated, but I do not have mouse hover flash cards. I have also found Toshiba files moved into Favorites for some reason. I swear this system is possessed or something...has been acting goofy since I installed the TVAP you recommended, ended up with a keyboard overlay that I could not get rid of, had to restore my machine via restore points to back to where it worked last.

As far as Toshiba tech support, when I called them about the machine not powering off, their great solution was to pull the battery...yeah, right...I'm gonna do this every time...got a replacement, but like I said, files are being shifted around like the machine is haunted, or it is a quirk of Windows 7...at any rate, I couldn't care less about the flash cards, and I will just deal with the rest of it. Tech support does not seem to feel I have a problem, yet I have been in the business of building and supporting laptops for too many years to count to believe this is not some weird Toshiba issue.  Will I keep this machine? Probably. Will I ever buy another Toshiba? Doubtful...

weniouish

i'm glad i found the answer in this site.. thanks for the useful tip :smileyhappy:

MT82

Thank you for that information, I was having a hard time with the print screen function as well, and your post saved the day!

cpo
cpo

I cannot get my Toshiba Laptop L855 Satellite to print to either my Epson Phot Stylus R280 or my Lexmark C543dn.  Tried everything I know.  Anyone got any suggestions?

cpo

jc5502

PRINT SCREEN TO SCREEN SHOT FOLDER ISSUE!

I am a new Toshiba Satellite user and spent the last 2 days trying to find out how to print a screen that automatically sends it to my Screenshots Library Folder!   Windows key + Prtsc key do not work.  FN key + Prtsc key do not work.

SO... I called Toshiba support - and after spending more than 5 hours and several 'remote' assists, with 4 different Toshiba reps - no one could resolve this.

I called Geek Squad - another hour on the phone - no answer!

I finally resolved it myself and sent Toshiba a SUGGESTION that they include it in their manuals and share it with their SUPPORT STAFF!!

YIKES!!!

Anyway - here it is!

FN key + Windows key + PRTSC (End) Key and.... presto - your print screen is in your Screenshot folder!!

YIKES!  TOSHIBA!  Get with it!! 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Different versions of Windows do some things differently.

It's no secret that Windows 8 captures a screen shot by Windows Key + Print Screen key. Microsoft has it here, for instance. See the first item.

Take a screen capture (print your screen)

Windows 8 makes use of the Window Key because in tablets that's essentially the only button available. In a tablet, you would use the Volume Down instead of the Print Screen key.

You'll find that and many other keyboard shortcuts in this list.

Comprehensive list of Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts

You may want to learn about the Snipping Tool as well.

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

-Jerry
Sharrygranny

Re: Print-screen

I am using Firefox, and up in the right corner are 3 bars. It says "Open Menu" when you roll over it. Just open, go to Print, and it will print the screen just fine. Or you can save the page.

I tried the sc  and ? I don't know where the clip board is? anyone? Anyway, this works fine.