thatawesomeguy

New to Computers. Need Help. Satellite C655D

[ Edited ]

Hey guys,

So I feel that its important to go ahead and warn you guys Im completely out of my element. Iv been a mechanical guy all my life but this is the first time Iv ever fooled with computers.

That being said I just received with Laptop (Satellite C655D) as a gift. Its by no means a bad computer but I would like to be able to improve it if possible. I have recently begun arranging/producing music as a hobby. I dont game or edit video. What upgrades could help me?

I already know that upgrading the RAM never hurts. Also from my understanding the processor for this computer is soldered to the motherboard and the graphics are integrated so aftermarket processor/graphics card is out of the question.

So my question is what else can I do to improve this computers ability to run audio work programs? What programs can I download to kill alot of the unnecessary background programs and just boog down the computer? All responses are appreciated!

Thanks,

Daniel

Regular Contributor
Funky1096

Re: New to Computers. Need Help. Satellite C655D

There is a freeware program avaliable to windows users that allows you to easily modify startup processes, drivers, and other advanced things here's the link you can also find it in help and support part of a windows box, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

laptops- ex satillite l755-s5353 inspiron e1505 desktop dimension 400/300
thatawesomeguy

Thanks alot. I also wanted to ask about whether or not it is possible to upgrade the sound card? I have an issue that I will be playing a track and suddenly it will scratch then go back to normal. It does it through everything from the stock spreakors to a pair of Beats so Im sure it doesnt have anything to do with the speakers themselves. So is it possible to replace the sounds card? If so would that help this problem? If not how else could I fix it?

Thanks

Regular Contributor
Funky1096

You might try updateing or uninstalling/reinstalling your audio drivers.

faulty audio drivers or poorly made ones can some times cause that.

thatawesomeguy

Alright well I tried to update it what I think is the driver (its named Conexant SmartAudio HD)and it said that the driver was up to date. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled it but Im still having the problem. Now assuming that that was what I was supposed to do what else now can I do to fix the problem? Can I upgrade the audio driver to something better? Also does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the audio card in this computer? If what I did at first was completely wrong what is the right way to do it?
Regular Contributor
Funky1096

What is your computers full name?  Not just satellite c655d.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

The audio is integrated, so it cannot be upgraded.

Some of the C655D models have a processor that can be removed.  It all depends on what motherboard your model has.

Steve_Wellens

You can't install a new sound card per se...

But you can buy external sound cards that use the USB port to connect to the machine.  And it will have to be connected to some external speakers.