kn_andrea

My Satellite L510 function Button - FN is not working !!!

[ Edited ]

Hello Folks,

please i got some issues with my Toshiba Satellite L510 Laptop ..  All of a Sudden the FN button on my Laptop Stopped working for no reason . Before when i pressed the FN button all the options displays on the top of my laptop Screen from ESC, F1, F2, F3,F4, F5, F6,F7,F8,F9, Space and others ...

However for sometime now it does not work.. Whenever i Switch on my computer to use it and then If i press my FN button only the FN indicator lights show on the Key Pads but it does not work and nothing Displays on the top of the Screen for me to choose my Options.

So now if i want to do anything like Screen display Brightness or Switch off/on Bluetooth etc- I must have to go and Restart the Flash Cards from the Start Menu before FN can work ! I have Updated all my Drivers and the Problem continue ..

My laptop is Satellite L510 , Model PSLGWL-2003,  Serial Number  XXXXXXXXX  . Can anybody help me to fix this Problem so that my FN button can work on its on properly - Without my having to go and Restart my Flash Cards everytime i switch my Laptop on ??????   Thank you all in advance for your Cooperation.

[Moderator edit to remove serial number.]

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: My Satellite L510 function Button - FN is not working !!!

[ Edited ]

Yours is a Toshiba Asia model. Though it sounds like you already know where to get them, you can find their downloads here.

If the 'Flash Cards' don't appear at the top of the screen when you hit the 'Fn' key, then click the 'Start' button and type the word flash in the search field. In the programs that appear at the top, you should see 'Restart Flash Cards' and 'Settings for Flash Cards'. First, click on 'Restart Flash Cards', then again click on 'Start' and type in the word flash in the search field. This time click on 'Settings for Flash Cards', and make sure there is NOT a check mark on 'Disable all function keys', click 'Apply' and 'OK'.  Then try the 'Fn+Fx' keys again.

If this doesn't work download this file and double click to install it, reboot after loading. Then, try your Flash Cards Fn key again. If necessary repeat the above paragraph.

Toshiba Value Added Package

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

kn_andrea

Dear Moderator,

Thank you so much for your response. I have already tried what you asked and i look at the flash settings but it was Not Disbled .. it was not checked to be disabled ... The settings were Ok ..

Then i tried to download that Toshiba value Added Package as you suggested, however i have been trying to download it over fours hours now but it has not been able to complete.. My Internet is very fast 7.2 Mbps and yet it can not complete this download ... i wonder why this download keeps cutting off.

So i just went to my Programs and Features to check if i got this Toshiba Added value package on my Compu ter - then i saw that i already got a Toshiba value Added package on my system which was Installed on 24-03-2010 version 1.2.32 (55.4MB) .. Is this not the same as you suggest me to download? Or is this one am trying to freshly download a newer Version that contains more Features?

What should i do now ? Should i still continue to try and download this Toshiba value added package through the link which you gave me or what ?  I hope you can Clarify me on the next step to take as my FN issue is not yet fixed...   Lastly you mention something about " try the 'Fn+Fx' keys again " ?? Where is this Fx key located ? Because i have checked on all the keys on my laptop and i can not find a FX button ...... 

Super Advisor
miker643

I'm not a moderator. I'm just another Toshiba user. In fact, I'm an English teacher in South Korea.

Yes, regardless of whether you already have the Toshiba Values Added Package (TVAP), you should reinstall it. Cancel the download, reboot your computer, cycle the power on your Internet modem/router (power it off for 10 seconds and then power it back on). Restart the download again.

The Fx key just means any of the other function keys at the top of your keyboard. Like Fn+F8 to enable/disable your wireless, or Fn+F9 to enable/disable your touchpad, and so on.

Mike

kn_andrea

Dear Mr. Mike ( Super Adviser)

I hope that your doing fine there at Korea. I just want to update you that i have finally succeeded to download the Toshiba value Added package lastnight from the link and i installed it ... But after finishing the process and tried pressing the FN button - NOTHING HAPPENED !!

It is so disappointing to go through all these hassles and then not getting the desired result! Later this morning i still tried again to re-install the TVAP again to see if it might work but it Does not work still ... When i press the FN button the functions Still Do not display on top... I Still have to go and restart the flash cards before i can do what i want or switch off my Bluetooth !

Is there anything thing else that i can do which is 100% Assured to repair my FN button and make it to work when i press it ???  I hope my problem can be finally remedied.. For your Information am now working in Indonesia too ... Not so far from Korea .. Lol .... Cheers and have a nice day as i await your assistance...

Super Advisor
miker643

....Is there anything thing else that i can do which is 100% Assured to repair my FN button and make it to work when i press it ??...

Nothing in life, especially with computers, is 100% guaranteed. But the closest we can come is to do a Toshiba Recovery and return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box setup.

Backup all your user files, documents, music, pictures, etc. Make a set of Toshiba Recovery disks/media by following the directions on 3-9 of your User's Guide. Then run the recovery utility from the recovery partition on your HDD as directed the bottom of page 3-9 and top of 3-10.

Toshiba laptops are very finicky about only using Toshiba supplied hardware drivers to work properly. That's why I recommend disabling automatic Windows Updates. When the recovery utility is setting Windows up, at some point Windows will ask 'Do you want to allow automatic Windows Updates?'. Answer 'No, I will decide later'.

Then after Windows is finished being setup, click 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and choose 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click OK.

Next, before installing any software, doing any updates or restoring your data, test your system and see if the Fn+Fx Flash cards are now working properly.

Assuming they are working, manually run Windows Updates until there are no more updates. But, when you get your Windows Update list, carefully check both the Important and Recommended updates. Do NOT let Windows update change or update any of your laptop's hardware driver/utilities. Keep running 'Check for updates' and reboot as necessary until there are no more updates. But, NEVER let Windows Update change your hardware driver/utilities.If you get any hardware drivers or hardware utilities, remove the installation check mark, right click on the update, left click on 'Hide update', then it will never give you this update again.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

kn_andrea

Dear Mike,

Since last time i have been trying to find my Windows Recovery and reinstallation CD which comes with a New Laptop when you Buy it, but i have not seen it .. I actually found my Toshiba cartoon with which my Laptop was packaged when i bought it new but Unfortunately No CD  was inside.

So am a bit not sure as to how to reinstall my Windows 7 again without a CD? And going through how you explained that i do it am not sure i understand your explanation .. I am a bit apprehensive to reinstall my Windows without a CD and detailed Step by Step explanation of what am supposed to do to get it right.

Honestly am not a Computer Expert or Geek and am scared about performing this windows Reinstallation without a CD.. I got lots of Priceless Family Pictures, documents, Music and other stuff on my Computer which i date not loose if i mess things up because Honestly i do not Know how to Back Up all my files on my Computer !!

I am so confused and scared at the same time and i do not know what else to do now .. I really want to fix my computer to become better and all Functions are working perfectly just as it was when i bought it newly last year, but i do not know how to do that without a Windows 7 reinstallation CD ...

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

If you do not already own one, buy a USB thumb (flash) drive and copy all your "Priceless Family Pictures, documents, Music and other stuff" on to that.

Windows 7 Backup & Restore

Your system probably did not come with Recovery/Windows DVDs. You need to make them first. There is a recovery partition on your hard drive that will allow you to do this.  You will need at least 4 DVDs. Click on 'Start', type in   recovery  , click on 'Toshiba Recovery Disk/Media Creator', follow the directions there to make a set of recovery disks for emergency purposes.

Running the recovery utility from the recovery partition on your hard drive is faster than running it from the disks.  To do this, shut down your system, press and hold down the '0' (zero) key, power on your system, keep holding the '0' (zero) key down until you see the Toshiba Recovery menu. Return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box. This will reinstall Windows, and all the Toshiba drivers, utilities, and software your system came with.

Again, as I mentioned in my previous post, the step by step instructions for all this are on pages 3-9 and 3-10 of your User's Guide. This link is a zip file, download it and extract your guide from the zip file, to see your User's Guide.

If you are uncomfortable doing this, ask a friend who is a geek or more comfortable with computer technical issues to help you. If you do not know who to ask, go to a professional:

Locate a Service Center

Mike