AWWang
Accepted Solution

Missing CD's for Toshiba L305-S5944 Notebook.

I got a Toshiba L305-S5944 few days ago and it seems to be missing all CDs.

The CD's I need is:

Microsoft Windows Vista.

Toshiba DVD Movie Factory.

Toshiba DVD Player.

Toshiba Support.

Toshiba.

and

Google Desktop/Picasa 2.

If Toshiba can send me CD's, I'd be very happy.

If anyone here works for Toshiba and can send me CD's, I'd be happy to provide info on my computer and address but obviously via Private Message or E-Mail.

Thanks from New Toshiba Coustomer, er I own a Tosh with DOS, :smileytongue:!

~Mr. Wang. 

Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger

Re: Missing CD's for Toshiba L305-S5944 Notebook.

[ Edited ]

AWWang wrote:

I got a Toshiba L305-S5944 few days ago and it seems to be missing all CDs.

The CD's I need is:

Microsoft Windows Vista.

Toshiba DVD Movie Factory.

Toshiba DVD Player.

Toshiba Support.

Toshiba.

and

Google Desktop/Picasa 2.

If Toshiba can send me CD's, I'd be very happy.

If anyone here works for Toshiba and can send me CD's, I'd be happy to provide info on my computer and address but obviously via Private Message or E-Mail.

Thanks from New Toshiba Coustomer, er I own a Tosh with DOS, :smileytongue:!

~Mr. Wang. 

I think Toshiba expects you to make your own recovery disks, using the procedure starting on page 61 of the L300 Series User Guide.

You can order a set of recovery disks by calling Toshiba Customer Service: (800) 457-7777.  The last I heard, there was a $24.95 charge.

Chuts

Most laptop makers, if they don't provide those Factory Restore CDs, give you a way to make your own.  Although judging from two purchases of L355 laptops in the past few days, even though there was a booklet describing how to make those Factory Restore CDs, there wasn't the "Recovery" icon on the desktop that the booklet referred to.

Occasional Advisor
Techman

Chuts, you are right, either you get the discs, or you get a hidden hard drive partition that you can recovery from and you can still make the discs.  I have heard Best Buy will soemtimes delete the icon from the desktop as part of thier "clean up".  You might search the program files directory and then under the Toshiba directory.

This signature left intentionally blank.
Chuts

Techman, thank you .... I was scratching my head looking for either the Factory Recovery icon that was supposed to be on the desktop or according to the booklet, I could also go to Start>All Programs>Recovery Disc Creator, and that wasn't there either. 

I found the feature in Program Files>Toshiba>Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator - in case anyone else needs the info.  The executable you need to start making the discs is TRDCLchr.exe

These two laptops were purchased from Walmart within the week for friends, and although they may never need these Recovery discs, it is always good to have them.  I recommended that they use Acronis True Image and after removing all the trialware and crapware they both made backups.

But although I can see that Best Buy might remove the icon, I can't see Walmart doing so.  Anyway thanks again, you saved me a call to India.  LOL.