Bodhi
Accepted Solution

Memory upgrade problems with L45-S7423

Hi. My Satellite L45-S7423 came with 1 GB RAM and I wanted to upgrade it to 2GB. I purchased 2X Kingston 1GB DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) model# KVR667D2K2SO/2GR. I removed the old memory sticks and inserted the new ones, put the cover back on, etc., and when I powered up the laptop it said "Please insert the memory module to Slot A". I figured maybe the new memory sticks hadn't snapped in or connected correctly, so I powered down, etc., and removed the memory and re-installed them, this time putting the memory from Slot B into A and the memory from Slot A into B. Powered up the laptop and ... nothing. It wouldn't power up. The front light came on and the DVD drive whirred, but nothing else. Black screen. So I removed the new memory and re-installed the old memory. Same thing, the laptop wouldn't power up at all.

Anyways, after swapping the memory sticks in and out several times, I finally got the laptop to power up again. Except now, even with the old memory installed, it says "Please insert the memory module to Slot A". It doesn't matter if I have the old or new memory installed, it always says the same thing. If I only have 1 memory stick in Slot B it says "Please insert the memory module to Slot A". However, if I only have 1 memory stick in Slot A, the laptop won't power up at all. Black screen.

So is it fair to assume that Slot A is dead? That somehow I killed it while installing the new memory? That the only way Slot A is ever going to recognize the memory module again is by replacing it? Does that mean replacing the entire motherboard?

And is it possible to bypass Slot A? Slot B obviously still works and I can access BIOS but every time I start up the laptop (even if there's nothing in Slot A) it gives me that "Please insert the memory module to Slot A" message. Can I get the laptop to bypass Slot A and just read from Slot B?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I thought this was going to be a simple memory swap and now my laptop's kaput. 

Bodhi

Re: Memory upgrade problems with L45-S7423

Bodhi wrote:

I figured maybe the new memory sticks hadn't snapped in or connected correctly

Turns out this was the problem after all. Not thirty minutes after posting my first message I again removed the memory and re-installed it and this time the laptop fired up just fine. Seems to be working well (and much smoother and faster, yay!). I considered simply deleting this threat but since it's possible someone may encounter the same problem at some point I think I'll just add this post to explain what happened.

The first time I removed the old memory, when I unsnapped the latches each memory module popped up and was easy to remove. But each subsequent time that I removed the memory, only Slot B would pop up, while Slot A would just sit there. I'd have to spend several minutes just trying to fish it out (cursing Toshiba for their faulty design, heh). I just figured that whatever it was that caused it to pop up the first time had broke. Well, turns out I just wasn't inserting the memory module carefully enough. Finally while inserting it, I did so in a way that the memory would pop back up when I unsnapped the latches. That was the connection that was missing. I do think there's something wrong with Slot A for the memory to have continuously connected wrongly so many times, but not that I know what the problem was (and the new memory is installed) I'm not too worried about it.

Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger

Bodhi wrote:

Bodhi wrote:

I figured maybe the new memory sticks hadn't snapped in or connected correctly

Turns out this was the problem after all. Not thirty minutes after posting my first message I again removed the memory and re-installed it and this time the laptop fired up just fine. Seems to be working well (and much smoother and faster, yay!). I considered simply deleting this threat but since it's possible someone may encounter the same problem at some point I think I'll just add this post to explain what happened.

The first time I removed the old memory, when I unsnapped the latches each memory module popped up and was easy to remove. But each subsequent time that I removed the memory, only Slot B would pop up, while Slot A would just sit there. I'd have to spend several minutes just trying to fish it out (cursing Toshiba for their faulty design, heh). I just figured that whatever it was that caused it to pop up the first time had broke. Well, turns out I just wasn't inserting the memory module carefully enough. Finally while inserting it, I did so in a way that the memory would pop back up when I unsnapped the latches. That was the connection that was missing. I do think there's something wrong with Slot A for the memory to have continuously connected wrongly so many times, but not that I know what the problem was (and the new memory is installed) I'm not too worried about it.

FWIW, the module should be inserted at an angle, and seated into the slot before you press the end down into the retaining clips.

Good that you didn't really break the slot.

mikeple

L45-s7409 here.  Same deal when upgrading to 3gb here. The slots are real iffy and have to wiggle them in just right & with 3gb you have to have the larger in the right slot otherwise it wont do the L-shape mode,,, makes for some extra fiddling.