guggesn

Matched pair of RAM installed, only one stick is recognized

Coincidentally, I had two customers this week, both with Satellite L25 S1192 laptops. Both came to me wanting a memory upgrade from the 256MB installed. I went to crucial.com and asked both to order or buy retail a matched pair of 1GB sticks, one stick per slot.

This is what client got from Crucial - 

1024MB  CT492845   Toshiba  Satellite L25 Series    DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

2nd client went to Best Buy and bought PNY, same spec.

The 2nd slot in both machines is not recognizing the RAM. I have swopped sticks, etc., and found that it's the 2nd slot that is disabled.

There was a post about dual channel, and how the RAM is used for Vid memory, but why doesn't total memory show up in Sys Properties. How can I tell if the slot is REALLY working.

Susan

guggesn

Re: Matched pair of RAM installed, only one stick is recognized

BTW, PNY seems to be Kingston, and I emailed Crucial support asking for a guarantee that their RAM works in a Toshiba L25 S1192 (and it might be Kingston, too). After all the testing I did yesterday and today, two different client machines, same make and model, it looks like a manufacturer's fault or misperception.

Yesterday it was unmatched pair, one bank of Kingston and one of PNY, but today was two banks of PNY 1GB, which is really Kingston (or it's a Kingston part number anyway).

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

I've seen PNY memory that was good fail to work properly in some systems, and even though they may have a kingston part number they are nowhere near as compatible as the real Kingston brand is.  Most likely it is a compatibility problem with that brand of memory in that model laptop. 

Always go with the exact same brand that was installed by the factory, or Kingston brand mrmory.  In laptops it is not uncommon for there to be compatability problems when you use other brands of memory.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
guggesn

OK, so I've now emailed both Crucial and PNY to confirm their memory is (or is not) Kingston memory and to guarantee that it will work in a Toshiba Satellite L25 series laptop.

So far I've only seen this issue reported with L25 series laptops, so I think there's something with that make and model. I peronally have never run across this issue in 15 years of supporting hardware. Crucial memory has never failed me to date. Toshiba Support - please comment!

Susan

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L25-S1192

Toshiba tech support is not available on the forum. We're just users helping users.

But it's well-known among us that Toshiba machines are very picky about memory specs. It's a crap shoot if you don't order the memory from Toshiba (whatever make) or purchase memory made by Kingston.

-Jerry
guggesn

I got a reply from Crucial and I will let you all know -

Hello Susan,

Thank you for contacting us.

The CT492845 is compatible for you.

There is this note on that system.

This system can accept either 512Mb or 1Gb based modules, however they can not be mixed.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

This system can accept either 512Mb or 1Gb based modules, however they can not be mixed.

That's correct, Susan. The spec I linked to in my message above, contains this.

dual-channel support requires two memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed
-Jerry