bladediablo11

L655D - S5050 CPU Upgrade?

I have been searching for hours to see what kind of upgrade I can do with my processor. I just ordered replacement memory so I can go to 8GB instead of 3GB and now want to see what is available for my CPU.

Currently this is what is on my laptop: (in case some of you don't know what comes with this model)

Windows 7 Home Pro - 64 Bit

AMD M880G Chipset

AMD Athlon II Dual Core P320 - 2.1 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache

The memory I ordered was 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 PC3-10600

I'm sure someone out there can help me, because google hasn't been to friendly with me today.

Peter

Re: L655D - S5050 CPU Upgrade?

CPU upgrades are not officially supported by Toshiba.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's not possible. Good luck!

- Peter
Frequent Advisor
drev9

ok, if you were running an intel processor, I could probably give you some options.  Unfortunately, I have little experience with AMD, and haven't needed to research it.

This is where I always start.  Look at the other L655D's that use the same chipset, but different CPU's.  Make sure they are all the same socket type.  Then compare the processors to see which is best.  You can do a Yahoo search for the name of the processor and "benchmark".  This is the best way to find the best processor that is known to work in your system.

Beyond that, you again research all CPU's that are the same socket and use the same chipset that you have in your computer.  You run the risk of trying a CPU that may not work, but you may find one that works well and is better than anything installed from the factory.

I have had great luck with upgrading Intel chips in my laptops, but again, I started out with what was proven, and went from there.  

RavinArt

I found this page  http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_S1_(S1g4).html to find compatible  CPUs. 

RavinArt

OK. So CPU upgrades are not officially supported but I have a question about the design of the motherboard. Is the chip a solid part of the motherboard or does it plug in.  I ask because I have heard that some laptops the CPU is a solid integration and is not really possible (with my knowledge) to upgrade.  If it is not a plug in CPU is the mother board a plugin to the computer or is it hard wired in. I would assume that you would have this information about the4 product. 

I also have a L655D - S5050.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

your CPU is socketed.  Some of the older laptops had hard soldered CPU's, and the netbooks with Intel Atom processors are hard soldered.