dkeener635

How to tell what motherboard I have

I have a Toshiba Satellite (Model L675D-S7016 PSK3U-01D001).  It has windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit OS.  I've had trouble with it freezing about 5 minutes into operation after boot.  The only thing I can do is power off with the power button and reboot.  After running malwarebytes and various other virus and malware scanning products, I think I have fixed the freezing-up issue.  My issue now is that it will not recognize any of the usb ports.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled all controllers and ports and drivers and it still will not recognize any usb device plugged into the port.  I have disabled and re-enabled usb support in the bios and it has bios version 1.50.

After much "googleing I came upon some information that it could be that I need to reinstall all of the motherboard drivers.

That is my question now.  How do I know what motherboard I have without taking the laptop apart?  After I do find the motherboard manufacturer, how dio I go about getting the drivers?

On Toshiba's support site under downloads for my system, I do not see any motherboard drivers listed.  If they are on the Toshiba site, where would the system board chipset drivers be located.

Thanks for any assistance.

David

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: How to tell what motherboard I have

Satellite L675D-S7016

What you're searching for is actually the chipset drivers.  The main chipset and its drivers are what controls the USB ports. Your unit's specifications show it has an AMD processor, AMD chipset and ATI (now owned by AMD) graphics card.  So, your chipset drivers are actually included with your AMD/ATI display driver package. Download it to your desktop and double click on it to install:

AMD Display Driver

You can try reinstalling this.  But, it may not work at bringing your USB ports back to life.  If it doesn't you may want to look at these 2 threads below.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Satellite-Laptops-all-other/model-m45-s165-usb-ports-2-0/m-p/8454#M1851

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Technology/Old-subject-USB-port-failure-new-board-member/m-p/16...

So, something you need to consider is backing up all your user files and running the Toshiba Recovery Utility to bring your unit back to its out-of-the-box state, the Recovery instructions begin on page 60 of your user manual.  If you haven't already, you should make a set of Recovery Disks with the Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator, you'll probably need 3 DVDs.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

dkeener635

miker643 wrote:

Satellite L675D-S7016

What you're searching for is actually the chipset drivers.  The main chipset and its drivers are what controls the USB ports. Your unit's specifications show it has an AMD processor, AMD chipset and ATI (now owned by AMD) graphics card.  So, your chipset drivers are actually included with your AMD/ATI display driver package. Download it to your desktop and double click on it to install:

AMD Display Driver

You can try reinstalling this.  But, it may not work at bringing your USB ports back to life.  If it doesn't you may want to look at these 2 threads below.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Satellite-Laptops-all-other/model-m45-s165-usb-ports-2-0/m-p/8454#M1851

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Technology/Old-subject-USB-port-failure-new-board-member/m-p/16...

So, something you need to consider is backing up all your user files and running the Toshiba Recovery Utility to bring your unit back to its out-of-the-box state, the Recovery instructions begin on page 60 of your user manual.  If you haven't already, you should make a set of Recovery Disks with the Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator, you'll probably need 3 DVDs.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for your complete and thorough reply...  "Kudos to you"...  Unfortunately reloading the Display Drivers did not correct my problem, nor did following the advise of the other two threads you mentioned.

I did create the recovery media and have since reloaded my laptop to the "out-of-box-state".  Figured I might have to do this and fortunately all of the ports now seem to be working.  Hopefully this rules out any hardware issues.

Now the thing that is really a pain is reloading my apps (Microsoft office, etc...) and waiting for all of the windows updates (windows 7 service pack one is a "doozy"...)

After doing this, I'm going to drag out my "macrium reflect - imaging software) and make sure I have a good backup image to restore to if ever needed in the future.

Thanks again for your help.

David

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

David

Happy to help and thanks for letting us know what happened.  When you do the Windows Updates, be careful to NOT let Windows Update, change any of your hardware drivers. Generally speaking, you almost always want to stick with the latest Toshiba supplied drivers for your unit.  I always have my Windows Update configured to never update automatically, then I can thoroughly review all the proposed updates and make sure to 'hide' any I believe will negatively affect my system.

Good luck.

Mike

Veevslav

Actually it is not the gfx drivers. It is the mainboard drivers. Big difference. Even in an APU environment there are different motherboards with different northbridge and southbridge configs and drivers.

Maybe its time for Toshiba to invest in some qualified tech support and upload the mainboard drivers to their web page.

Case and example, I own a C875D-S7225. They took the time to upload the mainboard drivers if I was to upgrade to windows 8, but did not upload the mainboard drivers for a windows 7 environment. Trying to upgrade to windows 7 64 pro from the home premium.

Bottom line dont buy Toshiba.

Peter

You shouldn't need to upgrade any drivers when upgrading from Home Premium to Professional.

- Peter