Kwincy

How to get GPS working on Satellite U925t

The spec sheet for the U925t ultrabook tablet mentions built in GPS and I see the Broadcom GNSS geolocation sensor listed under device manager in Windows 8, but streets and trips 2013 doesn't detect a GPS receiver.  Does anyone know how to get it working?  Also, I can turn GNSS off and on under devices in Windows 8 Pro but nothing happens.

Techitrucker

Re: How to get GPS working on Satellite U925t

[ Edited ]

Same problem here only I'm using ALK Copilot Truck. I'm fortunate because I have a Verizon Jetpack 4620l that also has gps and it works until I figure this out. I also noticed that none of the built in apps or any of the other mapping programs made for Windows 8 that I downloaded from the store, or Bing or Google maps in the browser worked either, so this problem is not limited to desktop apps added later. The gps was a huge selling point for me since I used it to replace the tablet I was using previously for navigation.

Edit: Toshiba is friggin insane. Called them for help on this problem on a two day old computer and they want me to pay them for support. I had to bully him to elevate the problem. Not so great customer service on a pretty expensive laptop.

Kwincy

I really hope this gets resolved.  I love the slider as it seems very study, but the gps and nfc are the reasons I bought it in the first place.  I'll keep an eye on this thread and keep you up to date!

Kwincy

I got more info on the GPS card that is installed in this computer.  It is an Azurewave mini-card gps module, model GPS-M25H.  Hopefully I can do more research on this card so we can get it working under Windows 8.

Techitrucker

I got hold of someone in Tier 3 tech support thats trying to get this thing to work, but no luck so far. I get the distinct feeling that Toshiba was expecting to just plop a module into a laptop and it would just work. We did get a driver that was not on the support website that added the Microsoft sensor driver that was not there before but something else must still be missing because it still does not work. If we ever get this figured out I will post instructions here though I'm thinking some kind of compensation is in order. We where working on this for five hours yesterday.

Alb3rt

I are about to buy the new u925t, but I just read this forum and I encountered what GPS doesn't work, please... let me know if you have found another malfunction with this laptop .... because one of the things I like about this was the GPS and slider keyboard....

Techitrucker

The gps is non functional with any program from what I can tell. Toshiba says they are working on it. If it gets resolved by them before i get so frustrated i return the device, i will post the fix. The keyboard is very nice.

Alb3rt

ok, im really frustrated, i was emotioned to get this laptop .... you know if the NFC, bluethooth and WIDI are working well , or there are any problem with it..... will you could recomend other device???... thanks guys for your time

Kwincy

[ Edited ]

Bluetooth works just fine and I assume widi works too, but I don't have a widi receiver.  The latest Intel widi driver and software does install and detect the widi transmitter, so that is hopeful.  I hope to have a new Windows 8 phone with NFC to test with this laptop by the end of this week.

EDIT:

NFC works just fine, I tested it with a Nokia Lummia 810 using tap and send via NFC.

Kwincy

Also, the problem seems to be with not only the GPS module, but with the silicon labs USB to UART as well.  Most GPS software looks for a COM port to communicate with the GPS, and the silicon labs device (which as defaulted as COM3 on my u925t) isn't providing the translation from USB to a virtual COM port to any software from the GPS module.  I've downloaded and installed both Turbo GPS and Franson GpsGate to test the module, but only Turbo GPS can see the GPS module via the sensor API built into Windows and it actually identifies it as the Broadcom GNSS geolocation sensor correctly.  I don't know what to do to make it work after this point though.  Attached to this post is my screenshot, and I hope Toshiba looks at these forums.

Techitrucker

I don't really think Toshiba looks at these forums, but apparently they do get a lot of phone call. American tech support finally got hold of me tonite. According to him, as you suspected Kwincy, the module does not use com ports like a traditional gps module. What this means is that no legacy software will ever work with this devices built in gps. They also will not be making a software patch to make it work. Apparently they can't. In his words, no one in the California headquarters agrees with the decision to promote the gps in this device since its actually pretty useless and though he wouldn't promote it, he would totally understand if people want to return the computer. Apparently the decision to promote the functionality was made in Japan, not here. As for the NFC, it is only going to work with Windows Phone, period. They still don't know what its actually going to be used for since their idea for using it for credit cards fell through, but right now its just there. He said devices shoulf see it but it doesn't really have a reason for existing right now. The Widi works. I have one in my truck and have no problems with it. Personally, I think I'm going to return mine and get the Dell XPS 12. If I'm paying this much money, might as well get the much better screen, the ability to have more ram and the bigger hard drive. Good luck guys.

Kwincy

[ Edited ]

That really sucks.  I really hoped that GPS would work with the software I just bought.  In regards to the RAM and SSD, they can be upgraded.  I just upped the RAM to 8GB (the max it can take), and I put in a 256GB mSATA SSD with no issue.

Kwincy

Toshiba just posted a service bulletin on the u952t support page regarding the GPS.  They say it IS supported and working under the built in Maps program in Windows 8:

When the laptop looses connection to the internet, Windows 8 location API uses GPS to determine geolocation. Geolocation is updated in real time as the user physically moves the device. However the maps themselves DO NOT update in real time since there is no internet connection. If the internet connection is lost while viewing Maps, a message indicating lost internet connection appears in the lower Left of the screen.

Interesting.  Maybe Microsoft will allow the downloading of map regions for the maps program.  Still, this solution isn't as good as using your own mapping software, so I think Toshiba still has some work to do.

a6000000

[ Edited ]

I install Visual Studio 2012 prof. and WindowsKernelModeDriver8.0 =wdksetup.exe on win8 home  3 times.  I build  the  SensorsGeolocationSampleDriver sample  and the error appears:     
            "Update VC++ Projects...". Install WindowsKernelModeDriver8.0 ...  
   I tested the sensor  C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Tools\x64\sensordiagnostictool.exe =ok,  it runs fine and show Lat. and Lon.  and I can save a log..xml  in win8 iexplorer.
    in Google-Maps is my location =ok (toshiba U920t with Broadcom GNSS Geolocation Driver for Windows 8)  so GPS sensor API works with Google Maps  :-)
     I installed  again
     . WDK 8  
     . WDK 8 Redistributable Components
     . TURBOGPS GPSDirect NMEA driver from www.turboirc.com/gps7/ 

I am happy, after update VS2012 (2) then I run in VS2012 left down corner there is a TAB CodeAnalysis  and then                        

SensorsGeolocationSampleDriver sample BUILD work OK!   :-) 

1>  Successfully signed: E:\Downloads\SensorsGeolocationSampleDriver\C++\x64\Win8Debug\Package\sensorsgeolocationdriversample.cat

1>  ====== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 2 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

a6000000

also this htm example works just in  iexplorer  on my U920t , there is also C++ code on the article

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd317655%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

copy the textbox and save maybe as  latlon.htm  an it works  :-)

MikeCindi

The issue seems to be that the new OS (Win8) and the new GNSS (vs GPS) combination creates an issue of no output to a COM port.  Thus most (all?) current desktop software (i.e. MS Streets & Trips) won't see the GPS output because it's not going to a COM port.  Perhaps either Toshiba or Microsoft will issue a fix for this since the current app software doesn't allow maps to be downloaded/cached (i.e. require a network connection) which is worthless when you're in the middle of nowhere and only have this ultrabook.  Centrafuse has a fix but it didn't work for me.