buckjohnsonus

How to disable BIOS and HD password...WITH BIOS ACCESS.

[ Edited ]

My friend set a BIOS and hard drive password in the BIOS on a L505-S6946.  Now, if this computer weren't a Toshiba piece of crap and were a normal computer, I'd just go in, go into the user BIOS password, leave the field blank, hit enter and it would remove the password so the user didn't get it at startup.  Unfortunately, this is a Toshiba piece of crap and that doesn't work.  Windows keeps looping because the OS has been corrupted so I can't get into the OS.  I called Toshiba and they want money just to tell me how to get rid of these passwords.  If I were locked out it would be one thing, but this should be easy and even in the manual.  Tech Support barely speaks English and obviously doesn't give a rat's **bleep** about the customer.  How do I remove these passwords?  Just to clarify...I'm not locked out...I just want to get rid of the passwords.  I think the disk password is keeping me from backing up the data so that I can restore the system.  When I put the drive on my usb adapter, it won't add the drive on my computer.  I'm wasting so much time trying to do something that is easy on every other computer in the world, can anyone help?

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

Re: How to disable BIOS and HD password...WITH BIOS ACCESS.

[ Edited ]

The disk password will keep you from being able to access anything on the drive, including the operating system,  you can only remove that password if you know it, and tell it to clear the password in the cmos.

The bios is not made by Toshiba it is made by a third party bios company, and it works just like every other bios out there.

Asking for assistance in a nicer manner would probably have gotten you more information.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Page 146 of your User's Guide.  The User's Guide is found on your hard drive in Adobe Acrobat Format and can be downloaded from the Product Support Link at the top of this page. 

I'll give you a hint though.  You don't set or change them in the bios, you do so using the Toshiba Assist Application. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

buckjohnsonus

As much as I love being told to RTM...perhaps you should RTP (Read the Post)...I can't get into windows because the OS is corrupt and Toshiba's repair program was absolutely worthless, so unless they make a bootable .iso for this "assist" (I could be wrong, but I saw no such thing), I can't run that program.  So what's the genius backup plan in this situation??? 

buckjohnsonus

Ok lord...let's go through this.  Step 1...I hit the power button.  Step 2...I hit F2.  Step 3...At "Enter Current Password', I enter the password.  Step 4...I enter the BIOS and go to the "Security" tab. 

At this point I have this on the screen:

"User Password Is: Set" (unable to select)

"Supervisor Password Is: Clear" (unable to select)

"Set User Password: Enter" (able to select)

"Set Supervisor Password: Enter" (unable to select)

"HDD...User Password Status: Registered" (unable to select)

"HDD...Password Select: User Only" (unable to select)

"Set HDD...User Password: Enter" (able to select)

When I select either of the two available lines and hit backspace and enter, or just hit Enter to clear the password it has no effect.  So NO...I repeat NO....this DOES NOT work "just like every other bios out there."  If you think a normal BIOS ignores calls to get rid of the BIOS and hard drive password and ties this into the OS you haven't been working with computers very long.  I'm sorry for the attitude, but I'm a tech that's been doing this stuff for over a decade and this is absolutely one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen and I'm wasting my day on something that should take 10 seconds. 

I need to get rid of the hard drive password so I can access the drive, backup the data and reinstall the OS...how is this done when the OS is screwed????  There's a reason other manufacturer's haven't done this, evidently Toshiba was too dumb to figure that out.  So what's the answer?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Then boot to a Windows disk and use the Startup Repair to fix the OS.  Just insert the passwords when prompted.  If you can't fix the OS that way boot to a Linux Live CD like Knoppix and recover the data that way.  Again, just insert the password when prompted.  It's always worked for me. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

buckjohnsonus

The Toshiba repair environment (or whatever the hell it's called) tries the Windows repair function and that doesn't fix the problem.

Regarding, booting to Linux, how would that work?  Lord said the password disables disk access and I tend to believe that because when I put the disk in my USB adapter the OS won't read it.  It won't show up under Western Digital drive diagnostics either.  What does setting the disk password do to the disk???  If I had to guess I'd say that it screws up data in the boot sector, or file table that it reverses (allowing it to boot) when the hd password is entered.  It's somehow preventing the disk from being read, or somehow putting some middleware on there.  How would booting to Linux make the disk readable???

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

You can't read it on another system as the password is tied to the bios on the laptop.  If you boot to a Linux Live CD the bios is still in control of the drive and as long as you insert the password you will be able to access it.  You just can't get access to change it from Linux.  I've never had a problem doing it on other Toshiba laptops so I can't see why yours would be any different.

mido03

I just wanted to disable bios and HDD password for satellite L505, I tried many ways but none of them works,could please help me

with this issue.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

You can only disable the passwords if you know what they are and enter them into the appropriate field.  If you don't know what they are, there is nothing you or anyone else can do to disable the hard drive password.  It simply isn't possible.  Not even Toshiba or the hard drive manufacturer can do it, and no data recovery service can circumvent it.  Once it's locked down by use of a password, the ONLY option is to use that password to gain access to the system and disable it. 

A bios password can be removed by a qualified tech, but no responsible one will do it without your providing proof of ownership of said computer.  Since that proof of ownership can't be verified on a forum like this, no one will be able to tell you how to do it in here. 

Think of if this way.  If someone stole your laptop, would you want someone to tell them how to break into it to steal your personal data?  Since there is no way for us to determine if the laptop is yours or not, we are trying to protect the owner of the laptop.  No one is saying that you did steal it, or are trying to break into a laptop that isn't yours, just that we can't know one way or the other so a responsible person would err on the side of caution and not divulge anything.

Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

Talleldo

I have a similar issue with an a505-s6965. The drive was getting sluggish so I used third party software to zero it out. Now the drive is unusable either installed or in an external enclosure. I checked all the paperwork that came with the laptop and nowhere does it say what the password(s) are. After speaking with Toshiba Technical support, I was instructed that I could send the laptop in and the password would be reset.

Here is the issue imo. I purchased this laptop, I own it and the parts within it. As long as do not use any of these parts to steal proprietary information, I have a right to the material and hardware within it. In other words, if I choose to, I can use the drive as a door stop, an external drive, a back up drive or anything else I choose as I have purchased it along with the laptop.  A recent US Supreme Court decision would back this logic up. In my case, I can send the laptop in, (not just the hard drive) and they will reset the password. In other words, Toshiba has the key to something I purchased. Hmmmm, That just doesn't seem right, or legal.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

You are way off on this. Toshiba does NOT set any passwords at the factory so there aren't any to provide. The only passwords are set by the owner, and there is no way that Toshiba would know what they are.

Next, if a hard drive password was set, then one would need to remore it PRIOR to zeroing it out, or using any other third party utilities like that on it. Once you zeroed it out, you lost any chance of being able to access it again as some of the encryption information that is on the hard drive is now lost making it impossible to access it again.Toshiba does have the capability to reset the main bios password, but not the hard drive password. NO ONE can do that unless they have the original hard drive password, and since Toshiba did NOT set that they won't have any record of it.

What is the EXACT error message that you recieve when you attempt to use the drive? How are you attempting to format/initialize it?

Talleldo

hd drive was removed, secure erased using internal program, error reports after that using a usb connection resulted in cyclic redundancy error, Smart status checked out ok. Re-inserted drive back into laptop and attempted using original disks to do a clean install. Before getting into the boot section, I am asked for the drive password. Three errors and the computer shuts down. So, I speak with Daryl at tech support and he admits there is a password but he is unable to give it to me. That I must send the laptop in in order to get it restored. 

Now how WAY OFF am I on this?

Hey, thanks for your time though. I am so glad you can see what is going on AND have the knowledge of my communications up to this point. 

Talleldo

Just one more point. There is no documentation of any password mentioned on any of the paperwork that came with the laptop. Nor is there any mention of there being a password on any portion of the drive. I have all the original paperwork, I gave the tech my number, registration. He KNEW who I was, and yet still had to have the drive/laptop Someplace, somehow, somwhere, there is either access to this password, or a method to erase it. 

Problem Toshiba has the key (password) to unlock a drive I purchased as part of the laptop. They sell or sold these drives seperately as add ons as well. I have enjoyed the product as a whole or else I would not have looked for a replacement drive for it. Which in the end is my more cost effective solution, to replace something that could be working, that I paid for, but do not have access to. Is this customer protection? Or something else?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

If there was a password on the drive when it was shipped from the factory then you would have needed to enter it every time you started the laptop. Since you obviously didn't need to do that, there wasn't a password on it when it was shipped.

And Daryl is wrong. There is no way that Toshiba or anyone else can remove that password. The only way to do so is for the person who set the password to enter that in. Since Toshiba did NOT set the password originally (proof of that is that you have not needed to enter a passworde previously) they would not have that password. Toshiba does NOT set ANY passwords on computers. The only password that they can remove is the bios password that gives access to Setup the Bios, or to enter the computer at all and those can be removed by clearing the bios itself (something that anyone can do if they have the right tools). The hard drive password can NOT be removed that way for security reasons.

The most likely scenario is that you have been infected by some malware that has locked the drive and you attempt to wipe the drive didn't remove said malware and/or the lock. Either that, or you updated the bios without first removing the hard drive password, but since you claim that you haven't been using one (and I'm not doubting you on that) then that shouldn't be the problem.

And for the record, IFToshiba had set a password (and there is no way that they did), there is no way they would release it over the telephone as there wouldn't be any way for them to verify that you were the actual owner of said laptop.