ssly3333

How much faster is an i5 than an i3? Is the extra $100 for an i5 well worth it?

How much faster is an i5 than an i3?  Is the extra $100 for an i5 well worth it? I’m disabled; thus, I’m on a very limited budget.

I’m about to buy a Toshiba Satellite through Toshibadirect.com with an i3, 6GB of ram, 3GB of Level 3-cache, with an integrated 4050M graphics (but with the option to upgrade to an i5 instead for an extra $100). I was wondering if I should go with the i5, which means an extra $100 to add to my already hefty debt.

I mainly use my laptop for voice recognition, Word 2007, Outlook 2007, photo editing, and creating logos in Coreldraw (which I hope to turn into a business making logos)—I don’t have time to play computer games.

I just don’t want to end up wishing I bought  the i5 instead with possible future software (though I probably will stick with my current software because of lack of money), but I would like to save the $100!

Thanks for some of your precious time.

Stephen

Regular Contributor
reg_B

Re: How much faster is an i5 than an i3? Is the extra $100 for an i5 well worth it?

Voice recognition (Dragon dictate, et al) has run well enough on much slower and simpler systems for 15 years or more - single core, MEGS of memory, not GIGs, etc.

I don't think an i3 would be lacking for the apps you describe, if anything 6 Gig of memory MAY be excessive, so if you want to cut your costs a bit that might be a good place to prune.

I have an I7 with 8 Gig of Ram, primarily because I do fairly large compiles that previously took overnight on a dual core system with 4 Gig memory.  On this system they are down to 2 or 3 hours.

MOST of the time this system is hideously idle (-:  the old dual core machine would be adequate for everything else.

Hmmm, now I've typed that I wonder why you think you even "need" an i3

Your choice, your money, etc., but it may be worth saving a LOT more than $100 by going for a dual proc machine.  4 cores probably don't do much for most people - beyond the "wanna have" factor.