pcurranh

Re: HOW-TO! Satellite L455D Turion Processor Upgrade (Pictures included)

I Just installed a Turion x2 64 Ultra ZM 80, 2.1 ghz, 2 meg L2, and it's up and running great, temps at 44 degrees celsius idle, though under 100% load went as high as 69 degrees briefly, though I'm usin a cheap thermal  compound right now, will be gettin arctic silver or something similiar soon, but even with this generic compuund it runs cool, at least as cool or a degree or two lower then the sempron it came with did, under idle to normal use loads, i.e. web browsing, movies and mp3 playback etc.... I'm running the bios v. 1.30 - 11/25/2010, btw. so yes, if your l445d is one of the ones that will accept a processor upgrade, provided you put a griffin core based chip, the Turion Ultra should work, any of the ZM series are Griffin(GG),are the last 2 letters in the cpu serial on the upper left side. Got mine for 25.99 on ebay, and the seller I went through had more than available at the time i purchased mine. so It's definately worth the gain, especially at that price, to get an ulltre, it raised my cpu score in windows expierence index from 4.1 qith the sempron to 5.2 on the turion Ultra, hope this helps, it's working great for me, this thing is screamin fast compared to before, so for the low prices you can find it for, it's a small investment that will really pay off if your machine atkes the chip. Here's my Cpuz Info link, http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2042066

mysticlotus

I was just about to go and buy a new processor to upgrade  my sattellite 350d rv70 turion x2 64 2ghz upto an x2 ultra and then I noticed on your cpu pic that it was only running at 500 mhz. Can you confirm that it runs faster, Ta.

mbze430

Hey there... I was just given a L455.  I am also trying to upgrade it, and looking for information on which highest processor it will go up to.  After reading your post on putting in a ZM-80.  I am thinking of getting a ZM-88 or ZM-87.  

So my question is... how has it been working out for you with the ZM-80? 

mbze430

[ Edited ]

I was finally able to find a US source that had a really good price on a AMD Turion Ultra ZM-87.  

Just wanted to let everyone know, it works perfectly!  I am in the process of undervolting the CPU.  But default, the idle temp is 47C and highest I got it to go with Prime95 is 87.5C.  On a more realistic "real-world" I was able to play a 1080P 10mbit MKV "well".  The CPU only got up to 75C.

NOTE:  Since I DID NOT install a fresh copy of Win7 x64, and upgrading from a Sempron SI-41, Windows did NOT see the right amount of P-State.  Sempron has 2 and the Turion has 3.  The way to "fix" his is to go to device manager and remove all the ACPI Management -> Reboot -> let it re-detect everything, then I was able to get the 3 P-States.

P-State 2 = 600mhz @ .750v (stable for 2 hours) MAX Temp 49C

P-State 1 = 1200mhz @ .875v (stable for 2 hours) MAX Temp 57C

P-State 0 = 2400mhz @ 1.112v (stable for 3 hours) Max Temp 88C

mbze430

Anyone know of a Win7 64bit Fan controller that works?  I tried SpeedFan but that didn't work.

Masonv

An I the only person that had a problem? I have the same machine. The Only ddifference is that I used an RM-70. Basically, I get a blank screen when booting with this CPU. The original SI-42 let's it boot fine. I need help!
DeejayRay

hi! Firstly sorry for my bad english! i'`m from Romania and i followed your upgrade and i decided to try it on my toshiba satellite l455d laptop. i installed an Amd Turion x2 Rm-70 processor and it`s working fine. what concerns me is that my idle temperature is 46-50 degree , and when i`m watching hd 720p videos than it`s 63 stable.. i would like to mention that didn`t used arctic silver , but i used arctic cooling thermal comound.. i would like to ask you that this temperature is normal or i should buy arctic silver thermal comound like you said in the description.. Thanks

KamranHesen

Thank you for this tutorial. But also I wanna recommend people to check this website . You can find systematic and any inforation about upgrading PC and BIOS. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-to-Upgrade-Your-CPU/427

Gunslinger313

I found this thread by accident while searching for something else. It was interesting, so I gave it a shot.  $18.00 later on ebay I had a used Turion processor and a tube of Arctic Ice.  Updated the bios to 1.30 before cracking the case and an hour later this puppy was humming along with a dual core Turion 64.  I've been playing with it on the web, youtube and had a cd playing in the background, the processor is not running any hotter than the Sempron did, and the speed is awesome.  Great article - thanks!

CPU currently at 44c,  low 44c high 53c.

sttatik

I checked my modeI..will it work with part number psly5u-00q01t?
sttatik

S1g2 compatible?
crazydog231

Spoiler

thanks for all that you do but i am looking for the frame of the laptop the top and the back of the lcd do you no were i can find them thanks 

crazydog231

JakeHarris

I did this upgrade and was having serious trouble with this at first.  Couldnt get anything to boot up until I decided to switch my stick of ram from one slot to another and WHAMMY!  It started right up.  I know this thread is old but figured my issue may help someone out!!