Occasional Contributor
digitaloutsider

HOW-TO! Satellite L455D Turion Processor Upgrade (Pictures included)

[ Edited ]

Okay, so I just recently got done upgrading the processor in my L455D-S5976 so I figured I'd share the steps I took!

WARNING: To begin, please understand that you are voiding your warranty by opening your notebook for any reason (although I made a lame attempt to hide my laptop's identity by obsfucating the barcodes :robotwink:). There are no user servicable parts inside. I take no responsibility for you breaking your computer. Please have a rudimentary understanding of how computers work before you try any of this yourself.

You will need:

A donor processor

Precision screwdriver set

A high quality thermal comound like Arctic Silver

Patience

Let me preface this entire article with a few opening lines. First and foremost, I am an Intel fanboy. I know very little about AMD processors and nearly everything that I know about AMDs I learned from doing this project. The last AMD rig I had was a 900 MHz Athlon if that tells you anything. I got this laptop for free from the company my friend's dad works for. They apparently bought a number of these notebooks on clearance and ended up ordering too many. They were unable to return them so they ended up handing them out to some of their higher ranking employees. He already has a high-end laptop and had no use for this one.

The L455D-S5976 appears to be some sort of Wally World-specific low end notebook. It retails for like $397 last time I checked, making it an extreme budget full-size laptop. It's ugly, but it's a nice option for someone who needs cheap portable computing. It has a nice 15.6" display, WiFi, ample USB ports and comes with Windows 7 Home Premium. Unfortunately it's powered by a slug of a processor, an AMD Sempron SI-42. All around, the processor wouldn't be bad for everyday computing, but I regularly use Photoshop and I'd love to watch HD videos on YouTube.

I had done a little research and I had found that some people were having good luck swapping out their Semprons for Turion 64s. To be fair, that's about where my research stopped. I found a Turion 64 X2 TL-58 on eBay for $15 shipped and picked it up. I knew it was 1.9 GHz and Socket S1 and that's about where my research ended. This was bad. I ended up putting the processor in, only to try and turn it on and immediately get the odor of burning electronics. I figured I fried the motherboard or something, but I threw the Sempron back in, and lo and behold, it still worked.

I did further research into the board and processor swaps and found that the later Semprons (in this case, one in the Griffin family) utilizes the Socket S1G2. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOCKET S1 AND SOCKET S1G2. Thankfully that was just a $15 mistake. It could have been much worse. I compared the Sempron and Turion family of processors and tried to match mine up to it's closest dual-core counterpart. I found the Turion 64 X2 RM-72. It was also an S1G2 with the same clock speed, same voltage, same HT speed and the TDP was only 10w higher. It appears Toshiba also used this processor on the exact same chipset in higher end Satellites. I picked up a brand new one on eBay for $40 shipped.

Here's what CPU-Z looked like with the Sempron:

So let's tear into this thing and see what we're working with!

1. Remove the battery, memory and hard drive from the bottom of the laptop. Remove all of the screws on the bottom. Unscrew and disconnect the WiFi adapter.

2. Flip the laptop over and remove the silver trim piece above the keyboard. Remove the screws holding the keyboard on. Lift the keyboard up and disconnect the ribbon connector. These connectors loosen by sliding the white plastic tabs away from the connector itself. Please be careful as these can be extremely brittle.

3. Beginning on the end closest the screen, begin to detach the silver front bezel, but DO NOT pull it away yet. You will need to disconnect four connectors: trackpad, power button, left speaker and right speaker. Remove and set aside. Remove the optical drive. Disconnect the USB header connector. EXCERCISING EXTREME CARE, disconnect the display connector. Disconnect, detach and remove the CPU fan. Slide the power adapter plug out of it's slot. Remove all of the screws on the motherboard and carefully remove it from the chassis.

4. You should be left with this:

5. Flip the motherboard over and you'll see the heatsink and heatpipe. Remove the four screws and detach the heatsink from the CPU.

6. Here is the CPU exposed. Unlock the CPU and remove. This is the thermal grease from my first botched Turion installation. You will have much less, and it will probably be crumbly and fall apart.

7. Sempron SI-42 and Turion RM-72 side by side:

8. Here is a shot of the Turion installed. Now is the time to apply some thermal grease on the processor. Again, I suggest a high quality brand like Arctic Silver. Apply a thin layer on top of the processor along with a small bead in the middle. Clean off the heatsink with ISOPROPYL alcohol. Allow it to dry and reattach. Reasemble the laptop, cross your fingers and power it on.

9. SUCCESS!

10. It's nice, but it needs one final touch..

There :smileyhappy:

Here is CPU-Z afterwards:

$40 later and this thing screams. I'm completely satisfied with the power I have now. Idle temperatures as I type this (with Firefox, Photoshop, Irfanview, iTunes and AIM running) are ranging between 49 and 55 degrees C, which is only slightly higher than what I was seeing with the Sempron. Windows Experience Index rates the processor as a 4.9. HD YouTube video is smooth, maybe a TINY bit choppy in fullscreen.

So if you're looking for a cheap dual core laptop and aren't scared of tearing anything up, pick up an L455D and toss a Turion in. You won't regret it.

Here is my Geekbench report: http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/265345

Toshiba Satellite L455D - What's a Sempron?
AMD Turion64 X2 RM-72 2.1 GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Nakkie_Marc

Re: HOW-TO! Satellite L455D Turion Processor Upgrade (Pictures included)

Very nice guide!

I have been looking for something like this for a long time and I think I will make an attempt myself.

Thanks a lot for putting this online.

Marc

Occasional Contributor
digitaloutsider

No problem! And good luck!

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Cd2008

Bought that processor today, along with some thermal paste. Gonna hook it up when it ships in :smileyvery-happy:.

Thank you so much digital for this guide.

Occasional Contributor
digitaloutsider

Awesome! Hope everything worked out well for you!

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
albrtijo

Hey, digitaloutsider, how can you work on Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 when I'm sending this message on Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976??????

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

There are thousands of laptops that are L455D-S5976.  The difference is the serial number each unit has.

L455D-S5976 is just the model number.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
Racer541

I got a question.  I have the same model laptop, I'm getting the AMD Turion64 x2 TL-60 dual core.  Its not a Griffin series but a Tyler series.  Will I have issues in the BIOS or getting it started before I start cracking this thing apart and putting this in?

Racer541

For future reference:  This is how to decipher the product numbers and to elminate the chance of getting the wrong processor for your L455D model for the AMD family.  

TMZM82DAM23GG   AMD Turion x2 Ultra ZM-82 2.2 mhz processor

Basically you are looking for the last 2 letters in the product number.  Which will be GG.  This is the Griffin family of processors and will only work for the S1G2 socket.  If you do not get one with the GG (ie DC,DM, CT, etc), it will not work with the socket you have.  So to eliminate the chance of getting the wrong product, please look at the product number.  Good luck!

Racer541

Hello again, so I got the same AMD RM-72 dual core Turion and installed it.  Very very happy with it.  Very good write up also.  Thanks for all the help!

burke_jelani

I have the Salellite L455d as well

im happy that you figured the processor upgrade out.

i just brought a 

NEW AMD Turion 64 X2 2.1 GHz RM-72 CPU TMRM72DAM22GG

just as you said

40 bucks :smileyhappy: thanks a bunch. Now wish me luck hooking it up. I never opened a laptop up before but i got someone that will help me. Kind of nervous. Any Tips?

Occasional Contributor
digitaloutsider

Big thanks to Racer541 for that info!

And thanks for all the kind words! Good luck with all of your upgrades. As far as any tips, the best I can give you is just to take your time and rush or force anything. If you think you're putting too much force/effort into it, step back, make sure you've removed all wires, clips or screws and try again. The L455D is one of the easier laptops I've worked on (MacBooks and Lenovos/IBMs are nightmares!).

Use smart static damage prevention measures and have fun!

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
burke_jelani

thanks alot digital. and if you find out any better processors better than this AMD Turion64 X2 RM-72 2.1 GHz  please fill me in k thanks

burke_jelani

I had one more question Digital. Is it possible to put a video card in this Toshiba Satellite L455d

It says there are intergrated graphics but can i  put a video card on the motherboard. Is there even a video card slot on laptops motherboard. Reply When you get a Chance. Thanks

Occasional Contributor
digitaloutsider

You cannot upgrade the graphics adapter in a laptop. You're stuck with the integrated ATi Radeon 3100, which isn't awful in the great scheme of things, I guess.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
burke_jelani

thanks a bunch Digitalvisitor

well my processor should get today

i cant wait

ghost82

This is awesome dude. Just picked up a l455d for $150 (who cares if the case is scratched up). Ordered a new RM-72 and some paste. Also found an identical ddr2 RAM stick online, pulled from a donor with broken lcd. Im going to have a dual core 2.1, 2x2gb, win7, 250hdd, wireless LAN setup for under $300... This is just too cool. Good to see stuff like this online.

Occasional Contributor
amechi

[ Edited ]

hmmm ... toshiba should take a cue from this and make a laptop that its loyal customers are free to upgrade/downgrade/mod as much as they like not forgetting 'overclockable' :smileyhappy:

Ecclesiastes 3
deadendeavor

Is no one else having overheating problems from this upgrade?

I have a Satellite L455D and came across this tutorial with high hopes of doubling my processing power.  I bought the Turion RM-72 and followed this tutorial to the letter.  The laptop seemed to work alright for a day.  Then all of a sudden it would freeze, or cut off spontaneously.  I burned a CD and it automatically restarted itself, and told me it had recovered from a serious error.  I thought maybe I hadn't applied the Arctic Silver correctly, so I took it all apart and did everything over again.  Once again, it worked for a day, with temperatures reaching 76C under load.  Then it froze up and wouldn't come on.  I let it sit for 8 hours or so, tried to power it on and nothing happened.  So I put the Sempron back in for a few days, then took it apart and once again installed the Turion with yet another thin layer of thermal compound.  I had bought a laptop cooler, so I plugged that in and powered it on, but it didn't do a thing.  I could hear the hard drive trying to boot, but the screen remained black.  So yet again, I reinstalled the Sempron and here I am.

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance here.  I've learned about undervolting and was hoping I could do that to cut some of the heat out of the Turion, but now it won't work at all!  I'm at wit's end here.  Anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem?  Could I have fried the CPU?  I handled it with the utmost caution, but could heat alone have done it in?

deadendeavor

Forgot to note, my BIOS is updated to V1.20, which appears to be the latest update. CPU-Z labels my mobo as a Toshiba NBWAE, which I've found hardly any information on.