tabl10s

HDD password reset.

I just bought a used Laptop and the HDD is encrypted. I'd like to reset the password in BIOS. Does anyone know the default setting to get me started? I can set the User password but not the HDD. Also, I've tried installing another drice(Hitachi)and the Laptop won't recognize it. What to do?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: HDD password reset.

You'll need to get the password from the previous owner as there is no way to reset a HDD password without it.  The laptop manufacturer can't do it, the hard drive manufacturer can't do it, your local repair shop can't do it, not even the various drive recovery services can do it.  It doesn't have anything to do with not being able to verify the owner of the laptop or ahrd drive, it simply can not be done.  You can't even format the drive and start over. 

If the person you bought it from can't provide you with the password it's probably a stolen laptop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

tabl10s

It's not stolen. Se  if you can help me with this problem. I bought a new HDD and the laptop refuses to recognize it. It has been formatted but still a no-go. Any suggestions?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Not without know a LOT more information than you are providing.  But I still say that if someone sells you a used laptop that they actually owned they would know what the passwords are and would remove them or give them to you when they sell it to you.  If they don't it's a dead giveway that it's either stolen or damaged beyond reasonable repair.  There is NO legitimate reason to sell someone a laptop and NOT provide the new owner with all of the passwords needed to use it.  Check with your locak law enforcement agency and they can run a check on the serial number for you to verify this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

tabl10s

It was purchased at Fry's with the receipt included. It originally had Vista, but I decided to wipe it because the owner's niece had downloaded stuff from Limewire causing it to have a virus. The original HDD was encrypted causing me to purchase the new HDD which isn't recognized.

I've been told that a BIOS update may fix the problem but Toshiba is supposedly terrible at customer support. Is this true?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

You still haven't told me anything useful about the laptop.  There is no way to know what hard drives will or won't work in it or if there are any bios updates that might help without knowing which laptop it is. 

Also, is it not recognized in the bios or by the OS install disk?   What OS are you trying to install?  Are you using an actual install disk or the recovery disk set for that model?  If you are using a Recovery Disk Set are you sure that they are for that specific model?

Finally, if ehey informed you it has malware on the hard drive due to the previous owners neice, then why didn't they provide the HDD password?  You could then just wipe the drive to rid it of any malware. 

tabl10s

Satellite A205 Dual=Core.

Toshiba HDD:2D91 Replacement: Hitachi 5K500, B-500 SATA 3.0Gb/s

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

You are bound and determined to make this a s difficult as possible aren't you.  Would it be too much to ask that you answer ALL of the questions FULLY instead of forcing us to extract the info piece by piece?  It's like interrogating a prisoner getting information from you. 

--------------------8<------------------- <snip> ------------------

You need to make sure that your XP install disk is at least SP1 level or higher for it to recognize a hard drive larger than 137gb in size.  You can integrate SP1, SP2, or SP3 into your XP Install Disk by using nLite as per this guide.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=117189

Because Windows XP doesn't have native SATA support you'll need to follow this guide http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=107504 to integrate your SATA drivers into your XP Install Disk.  If your system has an Intel chipset motherboard do yourself a HUGE favor and use the Intel drivers they link to in the guide. If your motherboard uses an AMD/ATI motherboard chipset substitute this driver http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-68363.html for the Intel drivers in the guide.  Since you refuse to provide the model number of your system there is no way for us to tell you which one it is.

You can integrate your Service Packs during this procedure as well.

Install your drivers in this order.
Restart after each driver and take the time to test between drivers.

The driver installation order is a GENERIC one that isn't model specific so not all will apply to your model.

The names are generic and may not match the names on the files exactly.  You'll need to use your best judgment and common sense to determine which ones to install.

Chipset software
Display driver
Sound driver
Modem Driver
If your machine has the internal WiFi card, then install the WLAN and/or WiFi driver
ACPI Common Modules (required for Power management tools to function)
Toshiba Console
Display Hotkey utility
Touchpad Driver
Touchpad enable/disable utility
Toshiba Network Device Switch utility
Toshiba Power Saver Utility
Toshiba Controls
Toshiba Utilities

tabl10s

Sigh. I'm not a computer guy. I know the basics(somewhat). I just discovered that the Hitachi HDD is SATA and the Toshiba is not. I thought that newer technology would have a different connector type, but it doesn't allowing the SATA to connect without a hitch.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

And yet you still can't (or won't) tell us what the model number of your laptop is so that we can offer some real advice that might help you.  Even a person on their first day of computer use should be able to post that considering how many times it's been requested. 

If the system came with Vista preinstalled at the factory then it came with a SATA hard drive.

tabl10s

I've already posted that it's an A205 Satellite.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

That's like saying it's a Ford F series Truck which essentially tells us almost nothing.  Just like Ford makes a LOT of different trucks in their F series that don't all use the same parts, Toshiba makes a lot of A205 models that don't the same configuration.  They don't use a model number with 10 or more digits in it if all of them weren't important. 

tabl10s

A205-S5809

Model#: PSAF3U-0SH00V. 

Does this work? I was told that if I load Vista or W7, the problem would be solved. Someone else said to download the driver's.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

That model does have a SATA hard drive.  Win 7 and VIsta do indeed have native SATA support built in so they would be able to install right out of the box without any midifications to the install disk like XP requires. Since that model only comes with 2gigs of ram and can't be upgraded beyond that 32bit Win 7 would be the best option of the two.

tabl10s

Cool. I also have a SAT M105-S3041(no model #)that came with XP. Can this be upgraded to Vista/W7?

Thanks.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

M105-S3041 IS the model number for it. 

While it might technically run WIn 7, it might not do so very well.  While Win 7 would install on it, Toshiba doesn't support it on that model so they don't supply any Win 7 drives or utilities for it.  You might be able to find the necessary drivers directly from the chipset manufacturer's, you won't be able to get the utilities for it that will provide full functionality. 

And you would need to upgrade the ram from the orignal 512megs to the 2gigs (it holds a max of 4gigs) for Win 7 to run well on it if you do find drivers.  My advice would be to keep XP on it as it will run better and perform better overall with XP than it ever will with Win 7. 

tabl10s

What's the most RAM and biggest HDD that can be installed in both machines?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I've already told you the max ram for each, 2gigs for the A205-S5809 and 4gigs for the M105-S3041 (3gigs if you are running a 32bit operating system). 

Both can handle any 9.5mm thick 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive of any capacity.  Currently, the largest that fit these specifications are the Western Digital 640GB Scorpio Blue, but it does suffer performance wise compared to the 500GB Hitachi 7k500 or the WDC Scorpio Black 320GB.

paulinhosantos

Hello

Can you help me please?

I have a Toshiba HDD in a Dell Inspiration Mini 10 that has an hdd password (my son was playing with the bios password and accidentaly put a password on the HDD and now the computer askes for the password. These are my data&colon;

HDD password error code 13462
System Service Tag code F6CX1L1

HDD Toshiba 
S/N X9OFTM1XT F11 (I don't know if it's X90 or X9O but i think this will help me) 

I send a photo of the disk.

Thanks in advance. Best regards and keep up the good forum. If I only subscribed know it's because I allways found here what i needed until know! This is a great forum on Toshiba users.

Paulo

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Please edit your post to remove your Serial Number.  It isn't needed and should NEVER be posted in a public forum.  No support person would ever need or ask for the serial number for any reason in a public forum.  They might ask you to send it via a PM, but only do that if you know the person is an actual employee of the company (like Jim, the admin here sometimes requests it to assist users).  NONE of the rest of us are Toshiba Employees and have no need or use for your serial number.

It isn't possible to recover the password or reset it, or even to recover the data on the hard drive. It isn't a matter of no one willing to tell you how to do it, but an actual physical problem that prevents it from being done. If the person who set the password doesn't remember what it was, then there is absolutely nothing that can be done with that hard dri ve period. Your only recourse is to purchase a new hard drive and start over.

Sorry, but that is just the way it is.