zukman31

HDD Password Problem

I currently have a satellite A135-S4467 laptop. I took it to the local Toshiba repair place to have the Bios passowd cleared. Toshiba did warranty this problem but noe it is asking me for a HDD Password. The tech said I had to replce the hard drive , is this correct?  I did not have a HDD password set. If I replace the hard drive will this fix the problem or will the password go to the new hard drive also?  Please help if you can , I want to get my daughters laptop back up and working for her...

Jimmy B..

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: HDD Password Problem

[ Edited ]

Sounds like the repair shop screwed up.  I would contact them about fixing the problem they caused. 

Unless the hdd password is in the actual system bios then it should not go to the new hard drive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

zukman31

I complained like crazy before I left but they said that had nothing to do with it. He triead to sale me a hard drive but i left and did not purchase anything, can i replace the hard drive and get it back working?

Jimmy B.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

It normally isn't that difficult to do as long as you have your Recovery Disks.  That system uses a standard 2.5" SATA laptop internal hard drive which are readily available at places like Best Buy locally and online from places like Newegg and ZipZoomFly.  I recommend Western Digital as I have found them to be more reliable than the others.

I would give Toshiba Support a call though and complain to them about the situation. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

zukman31

I got one and it did fix my problem, I had a guy at the local PC store check my hard drive and he said it is fried. I bet it was done when they reflashed my BIOS. Im just happy I have my daughters laptop up and working. How hard is it to switch the operating system to XP Pro ? I looked online but couldnt find all of the drivers I would need to get it up and working correct.

Thanks

Jimmy

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

From what I can tell your model isn't supported by Toshiba under XP as they don't supply any XP drivers for it.  If you check all of the chipsets used you could more than likely round up drivers that would work under XP but you would lose any of the special Toshiba Utilities like the Fingerprint, Flash Cards, and Extended Tiles.  Drivers for the motherboard, display, sound, lan, wifi, modem, etc shoudl be found on the respective chipset manufacturers support site (Intel, Realtek, Marvel, nVidia, Texas Instruments, etc.) which would allow the system to run, but I can't say how well it would do so. 

If you do decide to try it you'll need to make sure that the XP install disk is at least Service Pack 1 level or higher and has the SATA drivers integrated into it.  XP doesn't have native SATA support so it can't install without the integration.  See this guide for details on how to integrate the drivers as well as which drivers you need.