Occasional Builder
ericuse165

Fan speed issue

I think there might be a issue with the fan and heat sensors. My fan dose not run at a low speed when my pc is on. It will turn off and stay off for a bit then it will turn on at a very fast and loud rate. It will do this for as long as I have the pc on for it will not run at a low rate. I do not think it is sopost do that I think there should be somekind of low fan rate when my pc is on. My pc runs at 50C and from what the specs say that is hot. So am I right or wong and might there be a issue with the fan? I think there should be a low constant fan rate when the pc is on and not no fan to very fast rate. It happens when the pc is idle it is doing it more frequently and seems like for a longer time. I am using Toshiba monitoring and other software. They all read CPU temperature 30-32%(41C) Fan speed 90% the issue is random and happens when you just leave the pc on all day it will happen.  I do not think and as you know this issue will not show up on a pc diagnostic test. But I really feel like there is a issue with something I mean come on I never new or herd of a pcs fan run at 90% when there is no need to. A fan kicks on when the pc needs it to and mine is kicking on at 90% all day everyday when there are no signs of my pc needing it. Coming on at 90% all the time thats a new one to me if you guys think there is no issue. I had many Toshiba laptops and other brands and you did not even here the fan at all. I timed how long the fan was on for this is no joke started at 11:55pm stopped at 12:56pm 90% all the time

I attached some print screens I sent to them. They said seems nomal one shows temp and fanspeed at 90% and one show fan at 0%. So I am not sure whats going on

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Re: Fan speed issue

Hi ericuse,

Thanks for posting the screenshots. 

I don't see anything conclusive about the PC Health Monitor screens. The main thing that got my attention was that the CPU temp was reported to be lower when the fan was at 90% than when it was stopped. However, there are important things that could cause the fan to spin up that aren't reported by this simple utility, such as GPU temperature (if your model has a GPU -- which model do you have?)

It's normal for the fan to be completely off at times, when not needed, and it may be that it runs at a low speed at times but is not loud enough to be noticable.

I think there's a misunderstanding with regards to temperature and specs. The only temperature I'm aware of that's referenced in spec sheets is part of the environmental specs. This is referring to the ambient temperature for the location that the laptop is being used -- not the CPU temperature of the laptop itself.

And that pretty well exhausts my knowledge on the topic, or lack thereof...   ;-)

Jim

Occasional Builder
ericuse165

I have a Satellite L640D-ST2N01 if you look at my specs it lists what the temps should be. So you do not think there is a real issue?

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Toshiba's Detailed Spec sheet on shows environmental temperature specs for the laptop, not operating temp specs for any components. I think you're confusing that environmental temperature specs for the operating specs for the CPU. The environmental temp spec essentially tells you the min & max temperatures that the laptop can safely be exposed to for two conditions -- while not in use (turned off), and while in use.

Jim

clang1979

I have a T135-S1309 and once the fan goes to max speed, it stays at max speed until I shut down or put the computer to sleep (it will just run all day).

I had other fan problems about a year ago (erratic behavior) but they went away when I upgraded the BIOS. 

I don't want to get the newest BIOS upgrade becuase the newest one is programmed to disable the computer if a certain flaw is found (this is a matter of a product recall on the t135).  

I depend on my computer too much to allow for the BIOS to disable the computer and for me to send it in for the product recall.

Is there any way to fix the fan problem without risking disabling my computer?

Occasional Builder
ericuse165

Clang1979 I have kinda the same issues and they tell me it is normal but I am not sure. Your might be over heating.

Regular Contributor
FunkeA

[ Edited ]

I do not think this is "Normal". Please see this post done by me elsewhere in this Forum which provides potential explanation and corresponding solution to this problem.

Andreas

1averyadd

It sounds like it might be overheating to me.

Woodward

Hi All,

Can anyone help?  I have the same issue with my Toshiba Laptop.  My fan speed is almost always at 90%, even with no applications open .  At times it does go down to around 65%, but spends the vast amount of time at 90%.

I've attached a PDF screen shot.

Laptop Model-A660/A665/A660D/A665D.

Please help.

Jason

Occasional Contributor
ronnie18

well i have 2 questions for yall

1. is there a way to control fan speed

2. can temp be set to degrees instead of C

sorry i cant be of help just trying to get help

Satellite L775D-S7108 windows 7 64bit sp1 17.3inch screen
Regular Contributor
Funky1096

Fan speeds are controlled by the BIOS. The BIOS is programmed by Toshiba. They decide when the fan turns on, speeds up, and turns off. There are third party applications for dell inspiron laptops that control fan speed and set degrees are celsius or fahrenheit. i cannot find any for toshiba laptops. so if you suffer problems from heat buy an external fan or a new more custimizable and supported laptop.

laptops- ex satillite l755-s5353 inspiron e1505 desktop dimension 400/300
Occasional Contributor
ronnie18

[ Edited ]

is there a web address that i can go to for third party apps? thanks (i havnet got a laptop yet)

ya i was looking at dell. still stuck with toshiba brand because of the features toshiba has plus i get best features for under 500 compared to other laptops

i attached a sreenshot of things i can monitor on my school owned macbook laptop can the pc health monitor do most of that at top of screen

Occasional Advisor
jhvance

Try this for a decent 3rd-party app to monitor temps and possibly tweak the fan speed:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Occasional Contributor
ronnie18

thanks i shall give this a try when i get the computer