Occasional Contributor
david_jr

Email from Toshiba support Bios upgrade ver 3.10 Model: Satellite L755-S5349

We just recently got our laptop back from Toshiba after a Toshiba Bios download bricked it and Toshiba had to fix it (under warranty).  That was just over a month ago and today I got an email from Toshiba Support saying an update to bios is available:  ACPI Flash BIOS version 3.10 for Satellite/Pro L655/L750/L755 (PSK1W/PSK1X/PSK2Y)

Now I can't really find much on this doing a search and am very nervous after what happened just a short time ago.  Anyone else get this update notice?

Peter

Re: Email from Toshiba support Bios upgrade ver 3.10 Model: Satellite L755-S5349

If you're not having an issue that this BIOS update addresses, you shouldn't risk it.

- Peter
Tigi

Re: Email from Toshiba support Bios upgrade ver 3.10 Model: Satellite L755-S5349

I also received a message about the update for my laptop L755 S5107.  I was nervous about installing the update from the forums I have read.  I am not going to do the update.  When is it that I should do the update?  What problems would I begin to notice if it is time to do it?  Thank you for any advice.  I just recently purchased this computer because my other Toshiba laptop kept getting a blue screen and crashing.  I finally have it back up and going so anything makes me very nervous to do to acomputer if not 100% necessary.

Peter

Usually what you should do is check the support page for your model, find the BIOS update, and read what it does. Here's a direct link to the newest BIOS update for your model:

ACPI Flash BIOS version 3.10 for Satellite/Pro L655/L750/L755 (PSK1W/PSK1X/PSK2Y)

The second bullet point is the only one that looks important. Most of the others correct a minor issue. If you have one of those issues, then you should do the update. Whether or not you want to apply the update considering that second bullet point is up to you. Keep in mind that most BIOS updates work fine. However, you don't hear about talking about those cases because there's not much to talk about.

- Peter
Tigi

Thank you so much Peter.  I do not have issues with either of them now.  Just debating on doing the update because the second one seems very important and probably should do it to prevent it from happening.  Thanks again I truly appreciate your help.

cristina_98404

Hey Peter,

Is there any way to send PMs on here?

I got a notice regarding the latest BIOS updates and ignored it. I had a lot of issues after I installed the last ones. I heard you should only install these updates if you need them. Yesterday my entire laptop froze and I had to force shut it down. Same for today. So I have no idea if I should install the BIOS updates for this reason or not. I am weary because the BIOS updates seem so problematic.

Please reply anyone when you can.

Peter

Yes, you can send PMs. Click on the user's name to see their profile. Then, on the right, there will be a link to send that person a PM.

Go ahead and read the description of the BIOS update to see if it addresses any issues that you're having. If it does, go ahead and try it.

- Peter
MR_D

Hi All!

Mine just bricked! Had it 32 days when I got the "Toshiba Critical Update".  I just wish I had seen this forum before downloading. 

Peter

I'd recommend calling customer support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
david_jr

Thanks for all the replies.  Ours does not seem to have any of these issues so we'll pass for now.

Rud70

[ Edited ]

please tell me whether I should update the BIOS on Satellite P755-S5198 BIOS version 2.30 Windows 7_x64 I'm sorry I did not speak English

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

No, you should NOT unless you are having the trouble Version 2.40 is released to cure which is:

Version 2.40 - 2012-01-12

• Made a change to return correct HCI function data when RTC wake is disabled.
  • Set the default boot speed to "Fast" and enabled the Legacy USB function for Toshiba America Best Buy SKUs.

Chances are very slim that this change applies to you and updating the BIOS can cause many fatal problems.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit