mgabriel2

E55T-A5320 - Memory Upgrade

[ Edited ]

Just got this Laptop and a Toshiba Encore tablet bundle from Best Buy ( Cannt find this model on Toshiba's Site ) 

E55T-A5320  Toshiba Satellite Laptop 

Specs Show:

• 4GB

• 16GB

I would like to upgrade the RAM to either 8 or 16 but cannt find any information on how todo this.

I tried taking all the screws out of the back but couldnt get the cover off ( there are no "Doors" on the back just 1 solid back plate.

Serial # XXXXXXXXX
    Part #  PSKPJU-01E023

[Moderator edit to remove serial number.]

Kazdagi

Re: E55T-A5320 - Memory Upgrade

Yes, does anyone have any information on this memory upgrade? I must admit I am sorely disappointed in the lack of info from Toshiba on this process.

Thanks - Kaz

mgabriel2

Agreed the info on this laptop is lacking 

Peter

I sent you both a PM.

- Peter
cmb551

I am looking to do the upgrade for my memory as well. As the poster said above there is only a solid plate on the bottom of the laptop. Can you please provide guidance or post a how-to? Thanks.

DylanKnight

[ Edited ]

Can you please provide the install info as well?

Does it come with 32 bit or 64 OS?

Kazdagi

So I took a chance and removed just the 12 screws on the bottom, slowly and carefully unclip/release the plastic bottom from the computer, replace the memory, then went in reverse. All is well. No hidden screws under the rubber feet or stickers for me, just the 12 screws that are obvious. Hope this helps.

Kazdagi

Dr_B

I would appreciate any information you could provide on installing additional memory in my Toshiba Satellite E55T-A5320. I removed the back screws but I am hesitant to pry the back off for fear of breaking something even though one other person on this blog seems to have done it successfully. If there is a right way to pry the back off, I want to do it that way. BTW, whoever wrote the manual blew it by saying in effect that 4GB was enough to do anything.Toshiba gets an "F" grade for that statement. Other than that, I'm pleased with the E55T-A5320 so far.

SailMarco

I also would like to be sure that just removing the 12 screws on the bottom and gently removing the back is all that has to be done to upgrade the memory. 

Also is there only a single memory slot (i.e. 1 - 16gb DDR3L) or 2 slots (2 - 8 gb DDR3L)? 

Does it make any real difference if I use 1333 or 1600 memory? Thanks

nilanu73

All, it looks like there is not enough information available about this particular model of Toshiba laptop. I recently bought the bundle & wanted to upgrade the RAM & Hard Drive on the laptop for my use but like many others initially I could not open the back panel of the laptop even after removing all the screws.  But after enough struggle I figured out how the backpanel can be opened and the internal circuits of the laptop can be accessed for RAM & HDD upgrade. Let me share some of the information about the memory upgrade first -

The laptop comes by default with 4 GB RAM. It can be upgraded to 16 GB

Memory that the laptop uses is 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

There are 2 memory slots available to put 2 x 8 GB modules

I used a combination of Cricial & PNY memory modules (with same matching memory spcifications mentioned above) which works perfectly on my Dell laptop but for some reason the Toshiba does not like the PNY whether in combination with Crucial or alone so beaware not to buy PNY memory to upgrade this laptop. Crucial works fine.

Unlike the other laptops we have been seeing so far the battery for this laptop is also located under the backpanel & is distintively different than the regular laptop battery we are used to with (I've been seeing laptops since late 90 :smileywink: )

Now how to open the backpanel of the laptop to be able to upgrade RAM, HDD or to change the battery -

Open all the screws carefully.

Then with your nail or something flat & thin (like a thin screw driver or a credit card) try to open the backpanel starting from the front of the laptop - this is very important - always start from the front of the laptop then slowly & gentelly keep opening the backpanel by both the sides going towards the back (where the hinges are located) and finally take it out. There are 21 plastic notches along the edge of the backpannel. If you are not careful & try to do it fast you'll end up breaking the backpannel. I opened the back twice so far following the process I explained & I did not have any trouble.

e55t_hackintosh

@Peter can you please PM me the instructions?

Also thanks  @nilanu73 

Peter

PM sent.

- Peter
Archetas

Can I get a source and instructions as well?

Thanks!

e55t_hackintosh

@Peter this is kinda cheap. You said you would PM instructions but all you sent was a disclaimer saying that we shouldn't upgrade our computers. I'm upgrading my A5320 next week from 4 to 12 GB following instructions from @nilanu73 (thanks so much!). This will be not my first, but the SECOND Toshiba I've upgraded (the last one was the Portege R500-S5006V from 1 to 2 GB). I'm using a "Crucial CT102464BF160B 8GB 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 Memory Module" set from BH Photo and Video for $72.00.

@nilanu73 unrelated question but what happens when you use PNY?

Peter

I don't have how-to instructions, and I didn't claim to have instructions. I did, however, have related information that I sent in the PM. I also didn't say that you shouldn't upgrade the computer, however, I did have some warnings in the PM. I'm sorry I don't have more information for you.

- Peter
e55t_hackintosh

Update: I used the instructions from @nilanu73 and successfully upgraded from 4 to 12gb. This computer flies now! I ran Asphalt 8 Airborne at a smooth 60fps. However, when I got frustrated and banged on the palm rest, it crashed. Now downloading OS X Mountain Lion installer for VirtualBox for beginning iCrap development.