otisincoronado

Can't move pointer when I boot up

My recently purchased laptop is a Toshiba L845-S4240 Satellite.  My problem is this.  When I boot up, the pointer is in the middle of the screen, and will not move.  Obviously, this prevents me from doing anything further, so I am stymied from the start.

I have tried the F5 hotcard key, and it shows that the touchpad is enabled.  I have looked for a solution to this problem, but all solutions involve "clicking" or double-clicking, after selecting something on the start menu.  Obviously none of these things are feasible without moving the pointer.

Any suggestions?  Oh, and I have called the 800-457-7777 number for customer support and it is always busy.

Thanks.

Otis in Coronado California.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

Re: Can't move pointer when I boot up

are you pushing "FN" along with "F5"?

Jerry_Lippey

That happened to me just the other day. A reboot didn't help.

I was able to use the keyboard to open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), navigate to the pointing device, open it's Properties, choose the Drivers tab, click the Uninstall button, and restart.

All that using only the keyboard. Surprised me that Windows is so versatile.

Fixed the problem.

-Jerry
otisincoronado

Here is the followup SITREP (yep, I'm ex-Navy) and solution.  I was finally able to get through to the hotline, although I was disconnected the first time I got through, and spoke to "Michael."  He led me through the following:

Using the "windows" button on the keyboard, and the arrow keys, I turned off the machine.  Flipped over the machine and removed the battery.  Turned the machine back over and held down the power button for 20 seconds (to drain off any residual charges).  Flipped again, and reinserted the battery.  Plugged in the charging power supply (wall power)--not so sure why this step would be necessary if your battery is well charged, but I don't question experts!  Pressed the power button to turn the machine on.  When fully booted, I tried again to move the pointer using the touchpad.

It didn't work at first, but when I toggled the F5 key (the enable/disable key for the touchpad), it enabled the touchpad and my finger strokes moved the pointer.

Note that in my case, anyway, it was not the fault of the F5 toggle being in the disable position.  Before removing the battery, I had tried this several times (i.e., toggling the F5) without success.  Removing and reinserting the battery is what did the trick, here!

My thanks to Michael the troubleshooter!  I gave him a 10.

Regards to all:  Otis Cole

otisincoronado

Hi, Drev9:  No, I wasn't pushing the FN key with F9.  Apparently on my model it is the F5 key by itself, and, and you will see from my SITREP, that seems to be good enough.  Thanks for your interest...

Otis Cole

otisincoronado

To Jerry:  Thanks for your advice, as you will see from my second message (SITREP) it was solved by the Toshiba trouble desk a different way; however, I think your way would also have worked if I had been smart enough to know how to use the "window" key on the keyboard to call up the start menu.

Thanks for your trouble!

Otis Cole

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks for the feedback, Otis.

Yes, a reset of the computer often works miracles. You'll find it mentioned often in these forums.

-Jerry
momma-shannon

TO OTIS: I just purchased a new laptop (C855D-S5110). After the initial setup, I was setting up my home screen, internet & email pages. At some point I stopped and came back later to finish, but had NO POINTER. Pad didn't respond and there was no sign of the pointer. For 2 days I tried everything I could think of....NOTHING. After reading your posts, I tried what you said Toshiba had told you to do & it worked. Thanks for posting the fix!! LOVE THESE FORUMS!!
Shannon - North GA