Cody_Jimmy

Can I install a discrete graphic card to this laptop Satellite L755D-S5130 ?

Hey all watsup !

I have purchased a Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5130 about 25 days ago which has AMD A8-3520M with radeon 6620G integrated graphic card (512 dedicated video memory).

But I noticed that card hasn't a good gaming performance like discrete cards, as I can't run battlefield 3 on high details smoothly and prototype 2 is not playable even on lowest graphics details. and much more games..

That's why I thought of adding a good-gaming discrete card to this laptop like radeon or nvidia even it's expensive while I'm not going to change this laptop.

BUT I don't know it's possible or not ?!!

I have asked many people and technicians about that matter but they don't know what they say lol .. some keeping telling me no and some telling yes and some telling according to your motherboard ... even the store i bought the laptop from don't know the answer.

So i found that Toshiba official support is the only place where i can get detailed and confirmed information about that.. please help me with that because i'm upset !

My motherboard is >>

Manufacturer    AMD
Model    Torpedo (Socket FS1)
Version    PSK32U-03L00MB
Chipset Vendor    AMD
Chipset Model    K12 Bridge
Chipset Revision    00
Southbridge Vendor    AMD
Southbridge Model    A55/A60M
Southbridge Revision    11

AS the peccy program shows

Please help me with detaild information as you can, and many thanx in advance :smileyhappy:

Regular Advisor
billkunert

Re: Can I install a discrete graphic card to this laptop Satellite L755D-S5130 ?

I think you will find that Toshiba lap tops which have integrated graphichs, especially higher end graphics like those on the AMD a series chips, will not have space for a separate graphics card.  My computer has the A8-4500M and my graphics performance is quite good.  I use Microsoft Flight Simulator X which, when it first came out, was unusable on most computers due to low frame rates.  I run at pretty high settings and maintain about 45 to 50 FPS.  Train Simulator 2013 is also pretty resource hungry and I get around 30 to 35 FPS with medium high settings.  I upped my memory to 8 gig and installed a 240 gig SSD which helped somewhat.  I had a desktop with a Radon 6670 1gig card and a triple core AMD running at 3GHZ with 6 gig of memory and a SSD as the Cdrive.  Switching to the laptop did not cause that great a performance drop in performance in my simulators.

L875D-S7232 (Win 8.1)
Cody_Jimmy

Re: Can I install a discrete graphic card to this laptop Satellite L755D-S5130 ?

Well, actually i'm not satisfied with my 6620G integrated card as i can't run high end games well.

Batllefield 3 >> lowest setting 20-25 fps with some fps drop

NFS: The run : lowest 25 fps with FPs drop

Crysis 2 not playable even on the lowest setting i got 15 - 20 fps

Prototype 2 lowest setting i get like13-17 fps >> Crap and not playable at all

and more games..... r rly crap on my notebook

While i can see ppls who got laptops with discrete cards like GT 525 or GT 540 can run games much smoothly with high settings

My friend has bought a laptop >>But not Toshiba just another company<< with a core i5 processor and integrated graphics intel HD 3000 .. he could buy a Nvidia 4GB discrete card and could install it on the motherboard of his laptop ...

So i was asking if i can do the same idea ... those toshiba laptops which have integrated graphic cards  as standard, manufacture should be taken in mind that ppl may need to install a discrete graphic card and can't be stuck with this limited graphic performance.

So i hope that some technicians can inform me with this information and i would be grateful :smileyhappy:

Frequent Advisor
drev9

With all of the different brand laptops I have worked on (Toshiba of course, Dell, HP, Asus, Acer, MSi, Sony, etc) that have utilized integrated graphics, I have never seen an expansion slot for a seperate graphics card. 

In some models, there are more than one style motherboard, some with integrated graphics, and some with slots with graphics cards.  In those cases, the only way to upgrade from integrated graphics to a seperate card is to replace the whole motherboard. 

With laptops, it's not cost effective for the manufacturer to add connectors for options that aren't installed from the factory.  Most laptop owners don't upgrade their hardware, they just replace the whole system.  If you are a gamer, you should look at a laptop that is built for gaming.  I have a Qosmio X505, and it doesn't even break a sweat playing my games... no frame rate warnings... no lag... just pure fun.

Cody_Jimmy

Yup, i got it

So noway to install a discrete graphic card, however exchanging the whole motherboard

then i find a better choice to sell out this one and try to get one with a good discrete graphic card

How much is your Qosmio X505 gamning latop?

Frequent Advisor
drev9

The X505 is 3 generations old now.  You can pick up X505's for a decent price on eBay with one of 3 different graphics cards.  Mine has the GTS 250M which is the lower end of the 3, but I have had no issues playing any games.  I like the X505 because it has the 18.4" screen, which is awesome for games and movies.  The newer systems have slightly smaller screens

If you want to go newer, they have the X775 and X875 series.  The X875 series was just released a few months ago.