Occasional Organizer
thenikonknight

CD/DVD will not boot up for P855-S5200 Toshiba Satellite laptop - Rude Tech Support

[ Edited ]

Hello. Has anyone else tried changing the boot device order on this computer, only to find that their laptop boots right up to Win 7? I pressed F12 just like it states in the manual (and then pressed F2 to enter setup). I changed the boot order so that the CD/DVD boots first and even went as far as to have the HDD boot last. I saved changes and rebooted. To no avail, it still boots right up to Win 7. So I called Toshiba tech support for assistance.

The tech support(less) rep was real quizzical wanting to know why I wanted to boot from my CD/DVD. There are different programs that I have on CD that boot directly before the OS (for example, I like change things up a bit and run Linux once in a while). For some reason this guy didn't like that I wanted to  boot off my CD/DVD from my laptop. Frankly, he didn't buy the computer and it doesn't matter what  or why I want to boot from a CD/DVD. It's a brand new computer that does not function properly. I called Toshiba Tech support to fix a flaw in the computer that was sold to me. Anyway,  I was trying to explain but he kept cutting me off and was very rude. He told me that since I have followed procedure in the manual correctly, that I'd have to go to Toshiba's Advanced Technical Support for a fee. REALLY?! One of the simplest procedures that I have performed on every box I have ever owned, and this guy didn't have a clue to make it happen on a new machine. Instead offering any more explanation than Advanced Technical Support, that rep just hung up on me. Evidently his tech support training consisted of trying to squeeze more money out of the consumer after the purchase. Swing and a miss Toshiba. 

So, if anyone has had similar issue with not being able to boot directly off CD/DVD (especially if there's a work around) I'd really appreciate it.

If not I'll probably go to Best Buy and they can keep this Toshiba. Thanks.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: CD/DVD will not boot up for P855-S5200 Toshiba Satellite laptop - Rude Tech Support

[ Edited ]

Two things to try knight.

One, type HW in Start/Search box and click on HWSetup.  Click on  Boot Setting tab. Select ODD and then move UP to first place. Apply. OK.  See what happens now.

Second possibility is hold down C while powering on the computer.  This works on some computers to boot from CD/ODD.

BTW, I have never seen your problem ever before that BIOS selections would not be followed when correctly made. By "I saved changes and rebooted", I'm assuming you used F5/F6 to move your devices up or down leaving CD/ODD on top and then used F10 (Save changes and Exit) when you made your BIOS boot selection and then the computer automatically reboots.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Occasional Organizer
thenikonknight

Re: CD/DVD will not boot up for P855-S5200 Toshiba Satellite laptop - Rude Tech Support

C.B.,

You assumed correctly as I did use F5/F6 to move the devices up/down until my CD/DVD was at the top. I tried going in and using HWSetup. As soon as I ran HWSetup - it just confirmed that my earlier selection was already present (CD/DVD in first position).  I also tried pressing C as you suggested but that did not work either.
I appreciate your input. I have one more shot at Best Buy to see if the Geeks can solve this dilemma (which I doubt).

I may just throw up a video on YouTube to show the BIOS failure of this system.

It's too bad, I used to love Toshiba until this incident. I have a Toshiba laptop from 2004 that is still kicking (and it does boot from CD/DVD). I have even spilled a 1 gallon jug of water all over it - and it came back to life after it dried. I don't know if all P855-S5200s are like this or if I just got a POS. That coupled with the fact that I had deal with that less than knowledgeable and extremely rude tech support rep. Because of the those factors, I will take my computing dollars elsewhere.

Hey Toshiba....are you paying attention??

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Are you absolutely certain the CD you are using is bootable?  Does it work on other computers? I'm not trying to be a smart--s; sometimes, we all overlook the obvious in searching for answers.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Occasional Organizer
thenikonknight

Yes. I have 2 other computers here that I have tested out and used with success. In fact, I made a bootable Linux CD just last night that works. I understand checking the obvious first. However, it just looks like I have a rotten apple. When I get a chance, I'll video tape using a bootable CD on my other systems, then using the same CD to show how the P855-S5200 goes through it's own boot routine bypassing BIOS. Maybe this computer is a HAL 9000.

Thanks for your input.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

I just wish I could have been more help but I can't think of anything else to try.  Good Luck!

C.B.

skynet11

Nope, it's not just your computer. I can't boot from my Ubuntu CD either. This sucks!

Mceppi

Hi. I had the same problem but could find out the way.

with the notebook powered off, you press F12, and without realising, you press power button.

When power light starts, you press vseveral times F12 auntil you see a notice that says press f12 to enter boot options.

when you get the list of options from where to boot, select ODD and press ENTER.  it will boot from the DVD.

good luck

leogagliardi

I tried changing the boot order with the HWSetup.exe and, finally, I use the combination F12+power (on) and then F2 or F12. The boot order was changed to 

- ODD

- USB

- HDD/SDD

- LAN

And does not boot from a Debian 6 squeeze AMD64 Desktop CD.

It is my 5th toshiba since 2002 and I am very disappointed to be forced to pay and use Windows and, now even more because this limitation on the free choice of OS. I think this is unlegal

Hemerson

Hello, you have to do is:

1. Turn off the computer and when off press for 5 or 10 seconds the F2 key, release it and Bring it to press but in turn press the power button and the video will give you brand logo.

2. Press F2 and you will enter the setup, then the setup looking boot option.

3. Boot with F12.

Greetings from Colombia.

www.colombiamoodle.com

saiprem

Hold down F12 and turn the machine on.  Keep F12 held down untill you see "Entering boot device selection menu" at the botton of the screen.

mgregory

This was pissing me off for days... While looking to update to BIOS, I saw something about switching back to legacy boot mode to update the BIOS from a CD. I tried this and it worked! I can boot from any CD now. All you have to do is go into your BIOS, Go to the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot." When your done switch it back to UEFI.

Afarays

Man sorry u aint alone,Toshiba sucks,i jst got this pc bt its giving me alot of headache..it aint compatible i mean u cant boot from usb,stil i tried to replace the dvd/cd drive but all it can display is ide error...So hw can i instal an operating system on such a machine.
BennettBrown

Thanks to this forum, I had no trouble booting my new Toshiba Satellite C855D from the CD to install Fedora Linux.  Repeatedly press F12 during startup to get into the system configuration menus.  In the Scurity menu, disable "Secure Boot."  In the Boot menu, change bootmode to CSM.  This is grayed out until you disable secure boot.

Thanks for posting your suggestions!  It saved me a call to tech support.

Occasional Contributor
AskTosh22

Thanks, your instructions worked for me, I was able to boot from USB or CD/DVD. However, booting from HD's Win8 failed, I figured the "Secure Boot" must be changed back to "Enable", and "Boot Mode" back to "UEFI", in order for the HD's Win8 to be recognized.  Both "Secure Boot" and "Boot Mode" have been disappeared from the BIOS menu !!!

What are my next steps ????

Occasional Contributor
AskTosh22

Sigh ... Found Boot Mode, changed back to UEFI, everything's fine.

rr1024

Well I have the same exact problem, this piece of crap sucks. I have back up software that creates a disk image so that way if something happens I have a disk image to back up my system but in order to do something like that with any kind of back up software you must be able to boot from the cd or flash drive and neither work....it this piece of crap will not boot and always boots from the hard drive.

Occasional Organizer
thenikonknight

I ended up returning the Toshiba laptop because I am not going to deal with a faulty product and rude customer service. The customer service rep. (misnomer really) was rude, less than knowledgeable, and just an all around A-hole.  Luckily, I kept the receipt and it was within the returnable time period.
I immediately purchased an MSI GT60 - a way better machine than the p.o.s. P855-S5200.

Toshiba has no one to thank for this outcome except for their themselves and their faulty product. I used to be a long time Toshiba customer but not anymore.

Toshiba FAIL!

izzyb

I registered for an account just so I could tell Toshiba how offended I am by this.  I've been pulling my hair out trying to get this stupid piece of crap toshiba a friend brought to me to install Linux on only to run into this.  I will never recommend Toshiba to anyone again until this BS stops.  I've been selling, servicing, and supporting users for over 20 years and have always recommended Toshiba, but I can't recommend a computer that makes it hard for an average computer user to get in and do their own maintenance. Or make their own choices as to what to run!?  Who's computer is it after the customer pays for it? 

And another thing while I'm at it.  Why do you need 4 PRIMARY partitions and a partitioning scheme that makes it hard to install alternative choices.  Are you trying to say you don't want POWER USERS who BUY HIGH END hardware NOT TO BUY TOSHIBA?

...Izzy

lilggamegenius

on my laptop it dosen't let go to boot settings while it's booting but i found a program that changes the boot settings. i'm not sure if this is on your computer but found it on mine. search for a program called "system settings". i think it uses that instead of a bios screen so it's "noob compatible"