Nalore1713

Black Screen After BIOS Update Satellite - M115-S3094

I was doing some driver updates on my computer and downloaded BIOS update from Toshiba,. The Update process went just fine but After it finish, The PC never boot up again.

I get the PWR light and AC light on , The Fan Comes on but nothing else. If I put in a CD in the CDROM, the CD light lights up, CD spins and then it stops,. All I have is a Black Screen,.

Laptop is Out of warranty Can anyone help., How can I reflah the CMOS?

Thanks,

Peter

Re: Black Screen After BIOS Update Satellite - M115-S3094

[ Edited ]

I believe you would need to get the notebook serviced. However, maybe it's just a problem with the display. You might want to try connecting an external monitor.

[Fixed a typo.]

- Peter
Regular Contributor
TimGallaway

You may want to try AQSTECH.com they do BIOS repairs for about 100 bucks + shipping. They fixed my P205

Nalore1713

Thanks for the reply petter but the computer worked fine before updating BIOS,. After Bios Upgrade, that is when System never worked again,.

Her are some aswer to what others may ask:

-No, Power was never interupted during the BIOS flash process,.

-External Monitor has been connected for testing and still nothing(even though I'm 200% sure LCD is working fine as it was working during the Flash Process)

- Once again, PC worked fine bfore flashing,. One day I was just looking around and updating drivers and decided to update BIOS since there was an update,.

I Do Bios Update all the time for personal and Work Computers., I have never had this problem ever,.  Toshiba really sucks,. Why would they release a Firmware if it only chrashes PCs beyond repair,. unless ofcourse it is a scam so the can make a buck or two in the repairing process. :manmad:

Badbios

Same exact thing happened to my computer today too. Same exact bios update lit up as needed then it boots but has no screen. Had to send resumes today, horrible service. Do they check their updates for quality before they post them? If this becomes a wide spread thing I think we should all get together and find a solution. I have a ton of data and work to do tomorrow. I'll call support now to see what they say and if they say out of warranty it cost x then this is a scam, otherwise they should pay for it to be fixed imediatley at a Best Buy. I'll report back and then we can go social media viral.
Badbios

Wow their website says 24 hour phone support just received a voice message that they close at 8pm.
Regular Contributor
reg_B

There is always some risk of blowing a bios when upgrading, you may do it a dozen or a hundred times successfully, but the stats are against you doing it EVERY time without failure.

The update notice from Toshiba on the 1.80 rev of AMI bios is very explicit on what you MUST turn off before attempting a bios upgrade - or expose yourself to the risk of a corrupt bios.

You MIGHT get away with not turning off everything they say to turn off, but your risk is higher.

That said, they do FAIL to give instructions on how to make a back-up of your old revision to a bootable recovery floppy disk.

I know, I know, "What is a floppy disk ?" comes the question from the pre-pubescent.

Sorry, it is a bit of history, but the bit you need when you have to restore a bios.

See ::BIOSMAN for this stuff.

You can PROBABLY copy a BIOS file from a known good same/similar Tosh machine and do a restore from that.

I am fairly sure that the process for that is on ::BIOSMAN site

Just be very sure that the machine you copy FROM has the same bios as the one you try to restore TO.

{Come to think of it, there probably isn't any further damage to be done, either it works and everything becomes wonderful again, or it fails and you are no worse off}

BTW, ::BIOSMAN appears to have abandoned the business of repair/replacement bios chips due to mechanical difficulties involved in physical removal of bios chips by owners - i.e. many/most are now soldered in and just about impossible for most people to remove/replace without damaging the motherboard.

There is still a LOT of good info on their site, probably good enough for THIS problem (as described)

Nalore1713

I'll looked at BIOSMAN website a bit more but so far, they keep mentioning Diskets (flopy Drive) for some of the recovery process for some system,. This laptop does not come with a flopy. I hope they have something that can be use via USB thumdrive or CDROM..

Nalore1713

So has anyone found a fix to this or is the PC now no more than just a paper weith on my desk?