vacationlover

Battery life while laptop is powered-off

How long should a laptop battery be able to hold a charge while the laptop is turned off?

I have a Satellite L645.  If I fully charge the battery (with the laptop turned off), then set the laptop aside for a week, when I next try to use it, the battery is dead.  Shouldn't it be able to sit around for several months without going dead?

Frequent Advisor
drev9

Re: Battery life while laptop is powered-off

do you completely shut the computer down, hibernate, or sleep?  If you tell it to sleep, it wont last long on the battery.  Both hibernating and shutting down should should be fine though.  I hibernate my L350 sometimes several weeks at a shot, and it doesn't kill the battery(and it's 5-6 years old). 

vacationlover

Yes, I completely power-down the PC (not hibernate or sleep) and still the battery goes dead in a few days.  And this is with a new battery! 

The battery had not been holding a charge for quite awhile, and while the PC was still under warranty, I contacted Toshiba, and they sent me a new battery for free.  But it didn't solve the problem.  And now the warranty has expired.

It seems that the problem might be with the PC itself, or else all their batteries are crappy. That's why I wanted to see what other people were experiencing.

jjanedan

Laptop Battery Do's:

1. A new notebook batteries comes in a discharged condition and must be charged before use (refer to the devices manual for charging instructions). Upon initial use (or after a prolonged storage period) the battery may require three to four charge/discharge cycles before achieving maximum capacity.
2. If the battery will not be in use for a month or longer, it is recommended that it be removed from the device and stored in a cool, dry, clean place.
3. A charged battery will eventually lose its charge if unused. It may therefore be necessary to recharge the battery after a storage period.
4. When charging theLaptop Battery for the first time the device may indicate that charging is complete after just 10 or 15 minutes. This is a normal phenomenon with rechargeable batteries. Remove the battery from the device, reinsert it and repeat the charging procedure.
5. Reconditioning your R522 Series battery can increase the full charge capacity of your battery. It is recommended that you let the battery run to less than 3% at least once a month.

Laptop Battery Don'ts:

1. Do not short-circuit. A short-circuit may cause severe damage to the battery.
2. Do not drop, hit or otherwise abuse the battery as this may result in the exposure of the cell contents, which are corrosive.
3. Do not expose the battery to moisture or rain.
4. Keep battery away from fire or other sources of extreme heat. Do not incinerate. Exposure of battery to extreme heat may result in an explosion.

you can visit it:http://www.pcbatteries.ca/

vacationlover

Hi jjanedan,

Thank you for the info.  Those are all good tips.

But in reference to #3... "A charged battery will eventually lose its charge if unused."

I am aware of that.  But my point is... Shouldn't "eventually" be a couple of months, or at least a few weeks?  Not just one week?