Occasional Contributor
trumanlake

And repairs take how long?

Just curious how long does it take for warranty repairs?  Apparently the hard drive failed ( 6 month old laptop), was sent to Depot repair 12/16/10, still no change in status.  L455D 

Occasional Builder
17incher

Re: And repairs take how long?

They are usually pretty quick if the part is in stock. My Optical drive replacement took less than 5 business days turnaround time.

Dell XPS 17 | corei7 andy Bridge | 8G DDR3 | 1TB x7200 | BD-RE | 1080P
Occasional Contributor
trumanlake

Just thought it odd. If in fact it was the hard drive , I didn't know they were that scarce?! 

Occasional Contributor
trumanlake

And here we are Jan 14, was told the part had arrived. That was at the beginning of the week. Still nothing, no updates. I think the no information is the worst part, why the secrecy? I guess if there is no information then no one can be held accountable. What is the problem????? 

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

trumanlake,

Have you checked at http://depotstatus.toshiba.com? 

If there's no update there then send me a Private Message with your laptop's serial number and I'll forward it to Depot management and request that you be contacted.  Click here to send me a Private Message.

Jim

Occasional Contributor
trumanlake

Thank you Jim.

I really want to post this so others that are having the same problem can see that they are not the only ones.  The thing that probably upset me the most today was the statement, " unit is part of an issue alert".  I am no stranger to repair, I am a Field Engineer for a large technology company, and also from time to time run into parts issues. But the customer is kept in the loop, and a engineering change to a piece of equipment that is a known issue is not realized at the last moment!  A model number would have triggered that info right at the beginning of the repair. Because, our customers are losing money for every minute the machine is down.

The wife was to haved worked on reports for school over the Christmas break, which you can see the laptop failed just days before. ( sent in 12/16 ) The laptop that is now in depot repair was a replacement for an older Toshiba which worked without fail for years, and was the main reason to replace with another. But now we are rethinking this decision, and to refer this to another, I would have to think about that long and hard.

And yes, I haved checked the depot site several times each day.  And that is why I emailed them the first time and it was finally posted that there was a part on order, then that was removed after several days, but nothing was reposted to inform us of the current status.

Below is the last group of emails that was sent and received.

1/14/11  4:40

The tech had to order another part for your unit as part of an issue alert on your unit. The part has an ETA of 02/11/2011.

Toshiba Repair Depot Toshiba America Information Systems

1-800-457-7777

ToshibaRepair@tais.toshiba.com

For helpful information about the operation and maintenance of your Toshiba laptop computer please visit Toshiba Laptop Forums at http://laptopforums.toshiba.com.

Sent: Fri 1/14/2011 4:35 PM
To: TAIS Repair UPS Depot
Subject: Re: status update please

I hate to keep bothering you but it has now been 4 business days and still no update since the last email stating that the parts were in. May I ask what the problem is now?

THanks

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "TAIS Repair UPS Depot" <Toshibarepair@tais.toshiba.com>
To: " **********
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 4:21:51 PM
Subject: RE: status update please

The call notes show the part has arrived.  The part must now be matched to the unit and delivered to a technician for repair.  If there are no complications with the repair, I expect the unit to ship within three business days. 

I apologize for the delay and the inconvenience.

Toshiba Repair Depot Toshiba America Information Systems

1-800-457-7777

ToshibaRepair@tais.toshiba.com

For helpful information about the operation and maintenance of your Toshiba laptop computer please visit Toshiba Laptop Forums at http://laptopforums.toshiba.com.

Sent: Mon 1/10/2011 5:02 PM
To: TAIS Repair UPS Depot
Subject: status update please

The explanation that was on the depot repair page is no longer there. Have

the parts arrived or are they still on order?

The wife is in need of this computer for her work, we would like some kind of idea of time please.

Depot # *******

Serial #  *******

Thank you

Occasional Contributor
trumanlake

Jim I sent you a PM.

Nettey

That's kind of funny, because my satellite did the same thing to me around 6-9 months old, hah! Mine was hard drive failure, too. It took roughly 2 weeks I would say, after they sent me the box, and I shipped it back out. I would like to add that when I got the laptop back, it was clean! Haha, shiny and new =) Hope you get yours back soon, I didn't know what to do with myself while mine was in Kentucky getting repaired!

Occasional Contributor
trumanlake

I believe it's the frustration, if it was known that a certain change had to be installed in a particular model, then why wasn't that ordered against that work order right from the beginning.  Not that it bothers anyone at the depot, they're not the one that has needed the computer for work. That item won't be in until 2/11.  Oh, and by then I wonder what else will be needed.  That will be 2 months. But who at Toshiba cares? This experience is a very good advertisement of the quality and speed of service, I think that they all will take this into consideration at the wifes workplace when it is purchase time.

Occasional Contributor
Joycegl

My hard disk has to be replaced, I just filled out papers to ship it in to the depot, they charged me shipping 24.00

shouldn't that be free? It is still under warranty, thanks Joyce

Occasional Builder
17incher

If it's under warramty it should be FREE!

Occasional Contributor
dvd_94

Joycegl,

It sounds like you may have requested 2-day shipping.  I recently had my 10 month old Toshiba in for HD replacement also -- asked them if there was a cost to me for shipping either way -- they said 'no' unless you want it expedited.  It  took about 5 days to get the free box; then a few days to get to KY (I think), then a couple of days to repair it -- the longest period was with the carrier shipping it back (almost a week if I recall) -- whole process took about 3 1/2 weeks.   Came back like new and did not cost me a cent.  :-)

aeroplans

[ Edited ]

My Satellite L750 is currently being repaired. I spilt some cleaner on the keyboard while no OS was installed on the hdd. So I can't get into the boot menu to install windows. It has been 4 long days without it and I'm bored out of my mind :smileyindifferent:

v_d-_-b_v

I sent mine back on 1/26/10 for an unknown Hardware issue (keep shutting off like for a power surge, but not even plugged in half the time) and it got there on the 27th, but no change since. I am going crazy without it. 

Amanda

v_d-_-b_v

Yeah when I went through the online thing it gave me the option of paying $23.98 to have a box sent to me (4-5 day wait), or $23.99 to go drop it off at a UPS store and have them pack it, no free options available. I agree with Joyce. It's under Warranty, I already paid a good amount of money for the computer, Toshiba could at least spring for the $24 shipping for something that was messed up to being with.  Those are the little things I think of when someone asks me if they should buy Toshiba. Through at least there customer service wait isn't HORRIBLE like Acer.

Amanda

Occasional Builder
17incher

[ Edited ]

I used to owned a Satellite and was gonna buy the newer P770 Core i7 if it wasn't for the hideous 'tree-bark' textured designs, but anyway I bought a Dell XPS 17 and I must say that the service has been nothing but steller. I'm not trying to put Toshiba down but it seems like every little thing, they require you to send the unit in. There were some troubles with my new Dell and when I called customer support they offered me the choices of either to send a tech out to my residence, or send me the parts directly (both next-day service) so I can install them myself -- and I chose to do it myself. This eliminated the trouble and prevented me of not having my laptop for up to 10 days, or more. When the DVD Drive got defective on my Toshiba, I requested to have it sent to me because it was an easy fix but they required me to send it in. I've also encounter the same problem with the Blu-Ray player on my new XPS and Dell sent out a replacement Blu-Ray 'Burner' (not player) and I replaced it in less than 2 minutes, dropped the old one back with a returned label.

I will still buy a Toshiba if they revise their designs, but as for now I am fairly happy with my new XPS 17 and the service (both Customer and Tech Support) from Dell. Also, couldn't beat 12/mos zero/deferred-interest financing.

dkds23

I've been waiting over a month for them to simply register the warranty I purchased. I have made a total of 12 calls all on my cell during peak hours and am continually being told they are sorry for the inconvienience, but they are working on it. If the other repair I had done by toshiba is any sign of things to come, it will take another 2 weeks to fix it once the warranty shows up in the computer so the techs can authorize it. I too had dell computers and am so used to being able to chat online with a rep, and have parts or a tech on my doorstep in 24-48 hours. I am not at all happy with my decision to go to Toshiba this time and when the warranty (if it ever gets processed) runs out, I will never buy Toshiba again.