Occasional Contributor
seeker613
Accepted Solution

usb port connection not made w/Droid2

[ Edited ]

Whenever a Droid2 smartphone (Verizon) is connected to a usb port it should give a msg stating that a usb connection was made. This enables connection options to be chosen i.e. 'charge only' or 'seen as external storage device'.

Whenever (as in every time) I connect my Droid2 to my desktop Win7 Home Premium 64bits, I get the msg in the notification area that there is a USB Connection (much like the Windows Taskbar). However, this does NOT occur when I attach my Droid2 to my a665-s6089 psaw3u-08803c. It never worked to show that droid Notification, ever.

The laptop is also running Win7 Home Premium 64bit OS. Verizon tech support agrees that since the droid notification protocol works when connected to the desktop & not the laptop, that it must be something w/the way the laptop USB communicates w/the droid. I have plugged other devices into the laptop's USB ports; so they are working w/other devices & I have tried unsucessfully w/all of the USB ports to plug in my droid & get the notification. 

Also, oddly enough, when I connect the droid to the laptop's usb port, I do get the 'charging' icon to show that the battery in my droid is getting recharged, so there is some low-level only communication between my droid & my Toshiba A665.

I am fairly technical, & have taught computers & networking; but this one has me stumped; although I suspect that it may have something to do w/the class of usb port on a laptop vs. desktop. It can't be a usb-in-sleep-mode issue; cause other devices do work properly in all of the Toshiba's usb ports.... Maybe this is some driver issue as the notification is all about the usb connection being made/recognized on the droid & it does always work when I connect it to my desktop.

Anyway, all help appreciated, I really need to have the ability to share files, pics, etc. between my laptop & droid & without the usb connection being properly established I do not have access to the dialog on the droid to change between 'charging' & 'seen as external storage' which is what I need it to do.

TIA, seeker

Eli
--
I find that I always have choices. Sometimes it is the choice of attitude.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: usb port connection not made w/Droid2

Satellite A665-S6089

I found the following instructions from one successful user of NirSoft's USBDeview.

--------------------8<------------------- <snip> ---------------------
It's a single EXE file. I simply placed it on the desktop.  If you're using it with Windows 7 (and probably Vista), start it by right clicking on the icon, and select "Run As Administrator". If you don't do this, the program will appear to be doing what you tell it, but it actually won't be doing anything because administrative rights are required for uninstall. 

Your phone should be disconnected at this time. Remove all other USB devices that might be using the same drive letter as the Droid.

When you run it, look in the list for your Motorola phone. It will be listed as "Motorola A855 USB Device". Take note of the drive letter assigned to it, you may want to change this later. Select the line, then right click. Choose UNINSTALL. 

Leave the program running, now plug your phone in. Windows will indicate "new hardware found", and the phone will reappear in the list. Try to mount it. It should work. This is all I did.
--------------------8<------------------- <snip> ---------------------

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
seeker613

Jerry, thanks for a quick reply. You certainly rate super contributor in my book!

I am getting the replacement for my laptop soon (dead media buttons, & intermittently working fan, now that I mention it- have you heard any history or anything to watch out for w/the fans on Toshibas? for it to go flaky within the 1st week is scary & I don't want to have to do musical replacements....) & will try your solution & let you & everyone know. 

I'm just curious, why was the usb on the Toshiba not recognized right out of the box? It was on my desktop; is there a diff ver. of Win7 Home Premium 64bit on the laptop?

oh, & btw, the Droid2's model # is a955 :smileywink: for future reference. I love my droid2!

Thanks again & will advise as soon as I'm reconnected w/my Toshiba.

Eli

Eli
--
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't know the answer to your questions. Possibly has to do with the BIOS. Did you try the one released in October?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
seeker613

Jerry,

I'm using the 1.8 ver of the bios, & after visiting elsewhere here, that is the latest version...

which setting would you recommend checking? I'm good w/computers but new to the latest laptops.

TIA, your timely help & replies are appreciated.

Eli

Eli
--
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't know any more than I told you, Eli. Let us know whether the USBDeview idea works.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
seeker613

Jerry, sure thing; howeverthe snows in NYC (& elsewhere) prevented me fm getting my replacement LT; but rest assured I will share w/you & others when I get my hands on the new one. Least I can do- & pay your help fwd @ the same time. Sent fm my Droid2
Eli
--
Occasional Contributor
seeker613

Alas, my new LT was on the Fedex truck this a.m. but around 6pm I got report that due to weather conditions they were NOT able to make delivery… :-< I'm busy using Toshiba Restore util to wipe all of my stuff b4 I return it. Hopefully I will have good news on Thursday. Bye for now,
Eli
--
Occasional Contributor
seeker613

Jerry, I finally have an answer for you.

I got the new LT & got everything set up, & after running USBDeview & attaching my Droid2 to & refreshing the screen it is clear that the Droid2 doesn't see the USB port & Windows doesn't see the Droid2.

My suspicion is that it is an issue of drivers; & since it is early in the a.m. on Jan. 2nd; nobody is there is Toshiba tech support & same w/Verizon; I was on hold way too long & just gave up.

Eli
--
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Sorry that didn't work. I thought it would. Usually in cases like this, the registry gets mixed up among the various past USB devices it's trying to remember. In those cases, using USBDeview to remove previous entries clears the way for the new one.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
seeker613

Jerry, Alas, it was always on a clean, 'new' machine that I tried to get the two pieces of technology talking to one another; no old instances of usb connections- but it was good to learn of how ports can interact. Keep up your good work! Maybe I'll get lucky w/my other query posted on fans functionality… All the best,
Eli
--
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Please let us know how it goes, Eli.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
seeker613

Jerry,

I look fwd to being able to post a solution that all can benefit fm...

All the best,

Eli
--
Occasional Contributor
seeker613

Success, finally got to speak to a level 2 techie, the problems getting a call back were based on my anonymous call rejection feature on my phone & the problem with my LT not generating a USB connection on my droid2 was because the replacement USB cable did work for charging, but it did not work in terms of usb connection to make the droid2 to be seen as an external storage device.

The original, out-of-the-box cable, however, DID make the connection & I am now a happy camper!

The level 2 techie was very good & he helped me isolate this down to a bad cable.

Eli
--
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Wow, a bad cable. There's a moral in there someplace.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
seeker613

Jerry, not just a bad cable, but one that masqueraded as a good one! Moto put out a driver for charging & file-sharing. This one charged… Moral of the story is just b/c it looks like a port, driver, or compatibility issue; it doesn't mean that we can afford to forget the basics. Shoulda tested w/other cable myself, but it _did_ look more like one of the other issues, esp. a compatibility issue. So the lesson is stick w/the basics, even when it looks complex. Any case, it was nice working w/you on this. All the best,
Eli
--
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So the lesson is stick w/the basics, even when it looks complex.

Yup.

-Jerry