nemo1600

laptop FAN Problem

The fan on my A135-4527 Satellite laptop goes on and off for very short periods of time...laptop heats up plus it's NOISY as fan does thos every 30 secs or so.  Any solution????

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: laptop FAN Problem

have you tried to clean it out. they collect a lot of dust

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
tbernot

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same problem with my brand new i3 A665-6068 unit.

There is no reason in the world for this to be the case.

The fan turns on, ramps up to full speed, dials down to slow speed, runs for 5 seconds than turns off.  This repeats every 30 seconds.  It is INCREDIBLY annoying.

Web searches turn up no solution.

Toshiba has to have a way to correct this problem otherwise I will be returning this laptop and they can take a loss on the sale of a new unit.

All I want to do is have the option of the fan to always be on low (and automatically ramp up when it gets too hot) or to operate as it does now.

I very much like this laptop, but if I can't fix this, I will switch back to HP products.

PLEASE HELP.

friendly_member

Me too.

I have a brand new (5 days) Satellite A660 and the fan is constantly turning off and on.  It does not feel hot and the fan comes on even if the only thing I run is a browser or the PC Health Monitor.  The health monitor shows the cpu is at 39% and the fan is running at 63%. When the fan runs, it is never less than 63%. If I use eco mode the fan doesn't do this, but the performance is also not that great and I didn't get all these great features just to always run in eco mode. I have the new i7-2630qm quad core and 6gb of ram so I expect to generate a lot of heat at times. But the fan goes on and off even when I do something as simple as opening a browser.

And why does the fan always operate at 63%?  Why not at a lower speed when I'm not doing cpu intense apps? I'm really disappointed because this laptop is super fast and has all the features I wanted but the fan is very distracting. I'm thinking about returning this as well.

friendly_member

I messed around with the power options and I think I found a solution.  Go into your Power Options (Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options).  Click "Change plan settings" for the power plan you want to use. Click "Change advanced power settings." Select "Toshiba Power Saver Settings", then "Cooling Method".  Select "Battery Optimized" for On battery and Plugged in. That should do it. The fan should not come on when you brush against the mouse pad or simply open a browser, and hopefully will kick in when the cpu really warms up.

BE CAREFUL! I would recommend only using this option for when you really need it to be quiet because you obviously do not want to overheat your cpu and fry your Toshiba! I use the Toshiba PC Health Monitor to check my temps and fan speed and make sure it's not getting too hot.

tbernot

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that, but that is not really an answer to the problem. 

Toshiba is leaving it's users hanging here.  Not one response from anyone from Toshiba on their own forums.  Pretty sad.

friendly_member

Darn, I thought it would help and it does almost.:smileysad: I think the problem is the same as what appears to be going on in the other fan thread in the General forum which is: Once the fan goes on, it just doesn't want to quit. I notice if I start out in Eco mode (battery optimized), I can get the cpu to 48% temp before the fan comes on. But once the fan comes on it and it gets above a certain temp it is not going to go off again even if the cpu cools to 38%.

I think this is a problem with a lot of laptops from various brands. Because i have been looking for a new laptop to replace this one and I haven't found one with the features I need and with no customer complaints about the fan. It must be a very common thing to overlook during design or else it is an issue with certain processor or chipsets or something. This is my first laptop and I think I might just go with another desktop again. Maybe this much power is just not meant to be in a laptop computer.

By the way, I called Toshiba about this problem a few days ago and they said it was normal. I really don't think the tech took me very seriously, even though she was polite and friendly, because she didn't even ask me any questions or if I was having any problems. She treated me like it was a customer complaint and not an actual issue with the laptop, even though she gave me a number in case anything happened with heating or any problems. So I think Toshiba is never going to deal with this problem because this is just "normal" operation.

dpl645

[ Edited ]

I have a L645D and I tried your solution (changing the advanced power settings) and keeping it on Balanced Power and it has worked so far for my machine. I also uninstalled the ECO mode utility.  I have Speedfan running all the time to make sure I am not frying the cpu.  I have not been able to configure speedfan to slow the fan, but at least it can tell me what is going on.

joeyp

I have an A665 I3 I bought 4 days ago with same issue. I was wondering wether it was a lemon but I guess it is a common issue with these models. The power setting change helps but I can't help but worrying if the CPU is cooking away. I have another 10 days to decide whether or not to return it for a full refund. Not sure which other laptop to buy. Other than the fan issue, I do like this one alot.

nachotime

[ Edited ]

I have mine for 4 and a half months.  It has already been in the shop once for fan issue and when i got it back they said there was no problem with the fan.  First day i had it back a got a pop up saying turn off computer and send in for repairs. It just heats up and turns off.  I have to send back into the shop for another 3 weeks.   6 week total this will have been in the shop after owning it for 5 months..   Just brutal!  I work on the computer so any day with out it hurts but 6 weeks come on. JUST HORRIBLE SERVICE AND EVEN A WORSE PRODUCT!  FIrst and last Toshiba product ever for this customer.