Phoenixblade

Toshiba ODD Utility and Optical Drive Power

I have a A665D S6059 I am having trouble with the optical drive.  I can not seem to get it to work correctly in regards to the Toshiba ODD Utility.  It seems by default it boots with the power to the optical drive as off, the only way I can get it to turn on is if I go into Device Manager and do a scan for hardware changes.  I have tried to do the following to get it to work;

1. Adjusted power options to off or on for the optical drive pwoer settings
  2. disabled the ODD Utility service on bootup
  3. Tried to use the FN - Tab kay combination to toggle the optical drive on and off

All of these tries have failed.

How can I either make the optical drive powered on by default at boot and or get the manual on/off to work properly

BTW it is a windows 7 installation.

Ed

Occasional Contributor
gacpac

Re: Toshiba ODD Utility and Optical Drive Power

I have the same problem. I have Toshiba a665-s6086

ODD is working fine. but in the Utility seems to be OFF and i cant eject it with FN+ TAB

«Gυillε»
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A665D-S6059

Satellite A665-S6086

I don't have a Toshiba machine here to look at, but you may have a power setting that applies.

See the section TOSHIBA Power Saver Settings Vxxxxx in this document.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
gacpac

Actually i already checked that, and i uninstalled the TVAP and installed the new version and still the same.

«Gυillε»
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't know anything else that would affect the power of the ODD, Gυillε.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
gacpac

For Some reason the Intel rapid technology driver is causing the problem 

uninstall it and then restart the Toshiba Optical disc Drive Service and the Optical drive it's going to work again with the FN+TAB function

this Intel rapid technology driver is also causing an issue with the TOSHIBA HDD PROTECTION SERVICE that cannot run.

If you don't have this Intel driver installed, INSTALL IT and then UNINSTALL because maybe you have a registry error or something like that.

Like was happening to me.

«Gυillε»
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

For Some reason the Intel rapid technology driver is causing the problem 

Tell us more. Which version? Had you for some reason updated it?

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Version: 12.5.0.1066)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
gacpac

Well i have this version

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver 11.5.2.1001 

and it's something with the services.msc of windows when i uninstalled the problem just gone, and also i had another problem with the HDD Protection that the service cannot start because some program it's using it i don't remember well. 

But the last thing i did was only uninstall the intel RST and restart de pc the ODD just started to work after a few months.

and i reinstalled the HDD protection because the service started working fine but the application wasn't working. 

As i said i reinstalled and the things worked again after uninstalling the intel RST.

I have a TOSHIBA A665-S6086

Intel core i3 370M

8GB RAM

500GB HD

«Gυillε»
Occasional Contributor
gacpac

i Will install the new RAID driver and then test. File name: SetupRST.exe Version:12.5.0.1066 Download Date:03/22/2013 Status:Latest Size:16.38 MB Language:Multi language Operating Systems:Windows Server 2008 *, Windows 7 *, Windows 8*, Windows Server 2008 R2* https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=22676〈=eng&iid=dc_rss
«Gυillε»
Occasional Contributor
gacpac

Jerry Actually i updated and it seems that the toshiba services can't work because the Intel Rapid Storage Utility is using the Hard Drive and ODD first, so the Toshiba Utilities cannot admin the Drive and ODD.

Reinstall the Intel Rapid Storage so the utilities can work

-Toshiba HDD Protection

-Toshiba ODD Utility built in TVAP

«Gυillε»
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

the Intel Rapid Storage Utility is using the Hard Drive and ODD first, so the Toshiba Utilities cannot admin the Drive and ODD.

Makes no sense to me, Gυillε. I have no idea what's going on there. Sorry.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
gacpac

Well it's like the Web cam for example, you cannot use it for 2 programs at the same time
«Gυillε»
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

First I've heard of this...

-Jerry