Lene

Satelite A105- S2001 Memory

I have a Satelite A105- S2001 laptop and I would like to upgrade the memory.  I purchased a Kingston P2-4200 1GB memory card from Best Buy, but when I installed it in the computer, it wouldn't even start up.  Did I do something wrong, or could I have gotten a bad memory card?  Not even the guy from the GEEK Swad could figure it out.  Also, what is the MAX. memory I can put in this laptop?

Lene

Re: Satelite A105- S2001 Memory

Is there some thing that I will need to activate with in the programing to start the prcessor

droc

Did you try to alternate the slots?  Could try that.  Also 2 gb max for that model.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=131093...

^Under Detailed Specs

Lene

I think the guy at Best Buy tried switching the cards, and it didn't work.  I will try again with another card to see if that works.  Thank You for your input.

droc

Also, you could try *only* the Kingston memory, and then *only* the original chip, to see if for some reason the two memory chips are incompatible.  Shouldn't be a problem but worth it from a troubleshooting standpoint.

Lene

If the two are not compatable, can I just replace the old on with one 2GB memory card, or do I have to keep the original one in there?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Satellite A105-S2001

Toshiba computers are picky about memory. To be sure you're in spec, use only those from Toshiba or Kingston's best. The spec above calls for part number PA3411U-2M1G, which is Kingston's KTT533D2/1G. Kingston's PC2-4200 is the lower-priced ValueRAM. Avoid that.

You can mix or replace modules consistent with what the spec calls for. See the section Adding memory (optional) starting on p. 53 of the User's Guide.

Satellite A100/A105 Series User's Guide

-Jerry
droc

[quote]512MB(min)/2048MB (max), 2 memory slots using 256MB, 512MB,or 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz SDRAM, dual-channel support requires two memory modules of same capacity and clock speed[/quote]

I would assume from the above that maxing this one out would mean using 2 1 gb RAM chips of the specification in the quote.  So each slot would contain a 1 gb chip.

Lene

I have tried the Kingston in both slots with and without the other chip.  It still didn't work, so I think the thing to do is order the chip directly from Toshiba.  Then maybe I can get one that will work in my computer.  Whoever said Toshiba's are touchy with the memory card was sooo right.  I've tried three different chips and none of them have worked.:smileysad:

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

the kingston you have tried might not have been the right line of kingston. they make value ram and they make their KTT line. the KTT is the only ram that works. if you buy from toshiba you will most likely get kingston KTT or the same as what is in there but be careful because alot of the info on toshiba direct is posted incorrectly

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Best Buy normally doesn't stock the KTT line.  Most of what they stock is the cheaper KVR line which usually doesn't work well in Toshiba's and the high end Performance ram that sometimes works, but itn't worth the extra money.  I seriously doubt that what you got from Best Buy is the KTT that Toshiba's need. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Lene

So, the DDR isn't the right chip?  Where do I find the KTT?  I haven't seen them anywhere in my town.  Also is it still the PC2-4200 chip?  This is confusing and getting frustrating; I'm ready to just trade it in on a Mac.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

DDR is the type or ram, KTT is a product line. go to kingston's site and put in your info and it will show you the correct ram and you can order it directly through the website.

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Where do I find the KTT? 

See my message.

KTT533D2/1G

-Jerry