John_Blue
Accepted Solution

Restore A205-S5800 Back to Factory Settings

Hi, I am new to this form and I would like to know where I could get a link to the restore files.  I have an anti-virus software program that I can't get uninstalled, and I don't want to wipe and reload my OS.  Can someone please point me in the right direction.  I have a A205-s5800.  Thanks

Frequent Advisor

Re: Restore A205-S5800 Back to Factory Settings

John_Blue wrote:

Hi, I am new to this form and I would like to know where I could get a link to the restore files.  I have an anti-virus software program that I can't get uninstalled, and I don't want to wipe and reload my OS.  Can someone please point me in the right direction.  I have a A205-s5800.  Thanks

Can you clarify what you mean by 'restore files'?

What antivirus software is giving you the problem?

John_Blue

I lost my restore disks, and I would like to restore my laptop back to factory settings.  Can anyone direct me to where I can get another set, or where I can download them?  The anti-virus that I can't get off is Defender Pro

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A205-S5800 

If you are in the USA, call Toshiba's Customer Service at (800) 457-7777 and ask for the recovery discs for your model. Have your computer's serial number and a credit card handy.

For other possibilities, see the section Hard Disk Drive Recovery options beginning on p. 59 of your Satellite A200/A205 Series User's Guide.

-Jerry
Frequent Advisor

John_Blue wrote:

I lost my restore disks, and I would like to restore my laptop back to factory settings.  Can anyone direct me to where I can get another set, or where I can download them?  The anti-virus that I can't get off is Defender Pro

You can order recovery disks from Toshiba Customer Service: (800) 457-7777.   Because of copyright issues, the recovery disks are not offered as a download.

Note that the recovery process will wipe the drive as part of the process, so you'll need to make sure you have backups of any data you want to keep.

Hope this answered your question.

John_Blue

Thanks Jerry that's what I needed.  I gave them a call and luckly the disks are at no cost. 
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks Jerry that's what I needed.  I gave them a call and luckly the disks are at no cost. 
Happy to hear it, John. But how did you manage that? I read here that the shipping and handling charge is very high - something like $40.
-Jerry
John_Blue

Jerry,

I called that number at 3am one morning and talked to a guy by the name of Phil. I asked him some questions and he told me that he could send out a copy of the disks at no charge, because my ltop was still under warranty.   
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Aha, a warranty situation. Thanks for getting back to us.
-Jerry
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

That's a nice break.  ;-)   

My understanding is that normally there will be shipping & handling charges, in warranty or not.  The only exception I know of would be if the model is supposed to have media in the box and it is determined that it was missing.

Jim