Occasional Contributor
Amber311311
Accepted Solution

Optical drive automatically turns off due to power saver

I had a problem not being able to burn a disc 

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Satellite-Laptops-A-Series/missing-burning-drive-please-help/td-p/22362...

that I solved myself when I figured out it was because the optical drive turned off on its own.

My new problem is how do I get the optical drive to stay on or to be able to turn it on when I need it?  Doing a search in the forums here I found several other people with this problem but no good solution.  Unless I am missing it? 

I did see the suggestion of going into the advanced power settings and making sure the optical drive power management was set to on for both plugged in and battery power.  This does not solve the problem though because my computer randomly turns the optical drive on and off as indicated by a pop up bubble in the right side of my task bar.  I also tried pressing fn and tab to change the setting but this does not work either. 

How the heck do I get the thing to stay on?

Im running windows 7 64 bit and have a sattelite A660

Occasional Contributor
Amber311311

Re: Optical drive automatically turns off due to power saver

[ Edited ]

I've been researching this problem for 3 plus hours on my own and I have still not found a solution.  I am 99% sure it has to do with the Toshiba ODD Power On/Off Utility.  For some reason the utility turns the optical drive on and off as it pleases.  COUNTLESS people have had this problem with a variety of Toshiba laptop models.  

Here is the only documentation I can really find explaining what the Toshiba ODD Power On/Off Utility is and what it does.  

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/ebtext.to?page=360_optimize

I've also taken some screen shots of:

Toshiba ODD Power On/Off Utility which is found in my task bar.

I am not sure what any of the setting seen on here really do (other than the notify optical power on/off which causes a pop up bubble when it does decide to turn on and off).  I have tried adjusting other settings but nothing seems to change. 

Toshiba ODD Power ON/OFF Utility

Advanced power options - in my search I have found that many people think that the problem can be fixed by adjusting the advanced power settings seen here.  I have tried switching them to on and off but neither seems to help the problem. 

advanced power options

On Toshiba Support's front/home page I saw this:

So I clicked on it and it brought me to a windows application's page called fix it (http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us).  I downloaded and ran the app.  It looked for problems and the optical drive turned on!!  I thought the problem was fixed and I burned the CD that I had been trying to make for hours.  About a minute after the CD finished burning I got the dreaded pop up in my task bar that the optical drive had been turned off.  I have since not been able to get it to come back on agian.  I also can not get the CD out of the drive.  I tried re running the fix it app but each time I have it says that "windows didnt detect an optical disc drive.  It might be disconnected or unpluged".  UGH!

I also tried seeing if I could uninstall Toshiba ODD Power On/Off Utility but I don't see it listed in the uninstall programs window... or in my programs list at all.  

and of course I have tried restarting my computer several times

Please someone help me!!

Occasional Contributor
Amber311311

[ Edited ]

So I finally thought about trying to disable it from the startup menu.  After some trial and error this seems to have worked!

Im going to explain how I did this so hopefully it will help someone else in the future. (I have windows 7)

1) Go to start and then type in msconfig.  The system configuration window will then pop up.

2) Click on the services tab.

3) Scroll down until you find TOSHIBA Optical Disk Drive Service and TOSHIBA Power Saver.

4) Unclick the tick marks next to both of these and press apply. 

5) Go to the startup tab.

6) Scroll down until you find TOSHIBA Power Saver.

7) Unclick the tick mark next to it and press apply.

8) Close System Configuration and restart your computer. 

I'm no computer genious but this has seemed to work for me.  My optical drive is on and has stayed on for quite awhile now.  Im not 100% sure if it was necessary to disable all three of those but I figured what the heck... I am aggravated enough with it! 

I'd also be interested in knowing other's solutions if there are any?  As in how to get the utility to work properly without disabling it?

UPDATE:   My optical drive has turned off again!  :'(   I havn't got the slightest clue about what else to do/try.  HELP ME!  

Each time I restart my computer it seems to stay on for a couple minutes now and then it vanishes again. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Instead of disabling the Power Saver application, Amber, see this Toshiba document (from Germany).

It tells how to set the optical drive power to On. Scroll down to Optical Drive power management.

How to handle the power managment features of Windows 7

(Those things in Msconfig.exe should be rechecked.)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Amber311311

Hi Jerry,

Thank you so much for responding.  Your sugestion was the first thing I tried as I saw it suggested somewhere else.  I actually have always had the power options set in the suggested way.

Optical Drive power management
The ODD power management specifies whether the drive is powered on or completely disabled. By setting the power management to "Off" the drive will be completely disabled to conserve battery capacity. However, if the drive was disabled, it becomes unusable until the option was set to "On" again.

I have checked again to ensure that the power options are set to "on" as suggested above.  They are indeed set this way on all of my power plans. 

I have also rechecked the items in startup as you also suggested and did another restart.  There are no changes and the optical drive will not come on...

Any other suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I should have read through all your messages, Amber. It's apparent things are not working correctly.

Curious that Microsoft's Fix it worked once, but no longer. The main thing it does is a registry correction.

1. Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, and double-click the drive. What does Device status have?

2, Which computer is that? Please give the full model number.

3. Have you installed any third-party optical-drive readers or burners?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Amber311311

Jerry,

I went to my device manager but the cd/dvd tab was not even listed there.  I believe because the optical drive was turned off.  I did a restart and it still did not show up.  I then shut down my computer and then turned it back on.  The optical drive was on and stayed on for about 5 minutes and has now turned off again. 

While it was still on I went to the device manager and here are my findings: 

Odd ... the status says there are no drivers installed for this device.

Next I clicked on the driver tab & the driver details tab to see what those said. It looks like there is a driver installed so I have no clue why it would say there is not.

I also clicked on update driver.  It says that it's up to date.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A660.  This is the only number listed on the bottom of my computer.  I think because I ordered it from toshiba direct and customized it.  The closest model I have found to it is A660 BT2G22.   I can give you all the stats if needed.  

Also, the only 3rd party burner of any kind I have is ITunes.  Other than that I have windows media player and toshiba disc creator which came with the laptop.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A660-BT2G22 (PSAW3U-09Q001)

So it's in part-number family PSAW3U.

I went to my device manager but the cd/dvd tab was not even listed there. 

I then shut down my computer and then turned it back on.  The optical drive was on and stayed on for about 5 minutes and has now turned off again. 

Yikes. Almost like a loose connection.

Are you willing to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media as a test? See the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 61 of the User's Guide.

Satellite A660 Series User’s Guide

You can image the whole disk first and return it to its initial state after that. (You should be doing this for backup in any case.)

Back up your programs, system settings, and files

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 7

Restore your computer from a system image backup

How to Do a System Image Recovery in Windows 7

-Jerry
Bsp4now

My optical drive just turned off.  Your post was very helpful and put me on the right track.  Although both my optical drive power options were already set to 'on', I turned them 'off', applied the change, then went back and reset them to 'on'.  Optical drive came on, hopefully for more than a couple minutes!

Occasional Contributor
andili

On a honest note, this POWER SAVING  program is worst thing Toshiba ever created and installed in  - apart from that stupid tool, their perfect gaming laptops.

I really don't care how much power I can or could save after spending hours on trying to get my bloody ODD back working.

you guys should really sort out this stupid tool, my whole life I bought Toshiba laptops but I would think twice now after  sending my Qosmio X  for the 3rd time to the technical service to fix my ODD.

I am really honestly disappointed!

Kind regards

Andy 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

you guys...

Andy, you're talking to other users just like yourself.

Nothing we can do.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
andili

You guys as in - Toshiba support or programmer ect.

How about programming a patch to solve this issue!

Occasional Contributor
andili

Hi Jerry,

I see if there is a comment you toshiba support people don't like you delete it.

but dont worry i will keep posting until something gets done!

Kind regards

Andi

Peter

No Andi, I deleted your duplicate posts for being duplicates.

As Jerry already pointed out to you, he doesn't work for Toshiba anyways. He spends his free time here because he wants to help people.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
andili

I didn't mean to offend anybody here and i am sorry if i did!

I am just really frustrated with this ODD issue!!

Andy

KimC

I know it's been a while since Amber posted this, but I just ran into this same problem and want to share what worked for me, when nothing else did. My CD/DVD drive was not reading CDs at all and was not showing up under My Computer. It kept telling me the Optical Drive was off, when in fact the energy settings had it turned on. I tried everything that everyone else suggested and nothing worked. I finally found this page that solved my problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

**Note: on my computer, under Device Manager, my disk drive was giving a Code 19 error, which is a problem with the registry and therefore affects the optical drive. Apparently this fix can work for that, as well as some other error codes. As always, use caution when editing registries. Make sure you have the right path before doing anything.

I hope this helps someone else out there from having to pay money to fix a simple coding problem! (Toshiba wanted to charge me $49!)

TylerAlmas

I also LOVE how the only reply to this post by an actual Toshiba representative was to essentially argue with a customer irate with the matter...

Good work and thanks for the help!