MVIA

Memory and Hard Drive Limit Discrepancies - A15-1292S

There  seems to be a descrepancy between the A15-1292S Specifications PDF and what is available as accessories in the Toshiba store for my laptop.

The Specifications PDF for the A15-1292S lists the maximum amount of RAM available for my laptop as 1 GB total (2 x 512 MB). However, the Toshiba store lists the Kingston 1GB PC-2700 (Part Number:  KTT3311/1G) as being an available option when my model is entered, which would allow me a maximum of 2 GB RAM (2 x 1GB).

Here is a link to the store page

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/afin.to?stt1=Laptop+PCs&stt2=Satellite&sttSeries=Satellite%5EA15...

Which is correct; i.e. is the maximum amount of memory for my laptop 1GB or 2GB?

Secondly, The A15-1292S Specifications PDF lists my system as having and ATA-5 hard drive controller. The drive storage capacity limit for ATA-5 controllers is 128 GB. Any ATA drive of capacity larger than 128 gigabytes must be an ATA-6 or later drive. Connecting such a drive to a host with an ATA-5 or earlier interface will limit the usable capacity to the maximum of the controller. However, the Toshiba store lists a Western Digital 250 GB hard drive as being an available option when my model is entered.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/afin.to?stt1=Laptop+PCs&stt2=Satellite&sttSeries=Satellite%5EA15...

Which is correct; i.e. is the largest hard dive I can use limited to 128 GB or do I have an ATA-6 controller?

Thanks!

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Memory and Hard Drive Limit Discrepancies - A15-1292S

First off, NEVER rely on ToshibaDirect Accessories.  I've seen it provid incorrect ram and hard drive information more times than I can count.

Max mem is 1gig total witha 2 x 512meg configuration.  You can use PC2100 or PC2700, but you shouldn't mix the two. 

Technically, ATA-5 has a 137gb limit (the spec used the Binary measurement not the decimal measurement of 128gigs).  But that aside you are correct.  That system does NOT have 48bit addressing support in it's bios so it is effectively limited to a 120gb hard drive as the largest reliably supportd.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

MVIA

That's what I assumed.  I'm just surprised that the "Toshiba Accessories" would report incomatible hardware.

Don't they get a lot of upset customers ordering parts they cant use?!?!?!?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Yep, and they post here when they do. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

MVIA

In regards to the hard drive limit in the A15-S1292:

I spoke with Toshiba Direct about them offering drives larger than 137GB for this system.  I pointed out that the manual lists the controller in this system as an ATA-5 controller, and explained that the 250 GB dries they list as Upgrades for this system on their webite would only function up to 137GB in this system.  The rep spoke with her "Technical Manager" and he told her that they have specially modified the 250GB Western Digital drives that they have on their website to work with my A15-S1292, and that the entire drive space would be avaialble.

Smells like BS to me.

The manual lists it as an ATA-5, but if they are actually able to use hard drives larger than 137GB, then the manual is wrong and it is an ATA-6 controller.  When I called technical support he looked at the manual as I already had and confirmed that I can read. 

What I was looking for was to see if there is anyone at Toshiba that could actually veryify the accuray of the manual.  Apparently, Toshiba Direct and Toshiba Support do not share information.

Does anyone have an email address for a reliable source at Toshiba Technical Support?  Preferably someone at Toshiba that will take the time to look into whether the manual is correct or if their customers have been able to succesfully address and use a drive larger than 137 GB.

OR

Has anyone with a Satellite A15-S1292 used a drive larger than 137 GB?  Does Windows report the full drive space or is it limited to 137 GB?

In regards to the memory limit in the A15-S1292:

I called Toshiba Technical support and they said the manual lists the maximum amount of RAM as 1 GB.  I explained that I had already found that out and that I was wondering if it was, in fact correct.  The rep said I had to call Toshiba direct and ask them if the 1GB memory modules that they had listed had been tested.

I called Toshiba Direct and it took about 5 tries of explaining the discrepancy between the manual and what they have available for her to understand why I was asking whether I could use 2x 1GB memory cards in my system.  The net response was that the 1GB memory cards would function, but the system would only recognize 1GB of RAM.  What would be the point of putting in memory that you can't use?  Why list it as an option for this model of laptop?  Toshiba Direct Response, "Well, it will give you 1,024 MB, which is more than 1 GB".  Now I know where all of the college liberal arts majors find jobs...

I have to imagine that someone, somewhere out there has purchased the 1GB memory cards that they sell on their website for the A15-1292S.  I also have to imagine that if they spent the money to upgrade the system and wound up with the same amount of RAM that they had before that they'd get pretty upset and call Toshiba Direct and complain and return them, and that Toshiba Direct would remove the 1GB memory cards as an accessory for this system.  The fact that this upgrade is still listed on their website makes me wonder if the Product Manual is incorrect.  Or is Toshiba really that lax in letting incorrect accessories remain on their website?

So, has anyone with a Satellite A15-S1292 used 2x 1GB memory chips? 

Did Windows report the available ram as 1GB (sorry, 1024 MB ; ) ?

Or  is cee_64 correct and they have a bunch of incorrec components on their website?

Thanks!

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

There is no e-mail address for Toshiba Technical Support.

There is nothing that they can do to the hard drive to affect the 137gb limitation since that is NOT controlled by the hard drive.  That is part of the bios.  They are lieing to you. If you want verification on this contact Western Digital about it.

If that system could handle 1gig sticks then Kingston, Crucial, and other memory manufacturer's would list it as an option and they do NOT do so.  I'll take Kingston's and Crucial's word over ToshibaDirects any day of the week.

Occasional Contributor
Rando

Yea, I am one of the Toshiba owners who went down that road. The second 1G does no good whats so ever, even though it says so in the manual. I just have an extra 1g chip to show for it........Randy

bwringel

Thanks for everyone who posted regarding the memory issues with the A15-S1291 laptop. I too was confused about the difference in the spec sheet and the Toshiba Direct web site showing both memory choices. With a 2-3 week lead time on the 512mb ram, I will be purchasing (1) 1gb chip and running with that. Fry's electronics has the 1gb chip available for about $ 24.00 as opposed to $ 34.00 on the Toshiba Direct site.