Occasional Contributor
lola2001000

Laptop doesn't turn on when I open the lid.

When I turn the laptop off by closing the lid, it doesn't come on when I open it again. It is

a505-S6005 Satellite. Any suggestions? I read another post here and a poster had them configure hibernation somehow but it was for Vista with another laptop; I have Windows 7 My battery is at 16% does that have anything to do with it?

Thanks for any help.

Occasional Contributor
lola2001000

Re: Laptop doesn't turn on when I open the lid.

Nothing like replying to myself. But sorry to anyone for the inconvenience of opening this thread. I figured it out by myself. 

Jrock2810

I've been having the same problem with my laptop. I'm curious to hear what you did to fix the problem. thanks in advance. 

Occasional Contributor
lola2001000

I thought I figured it out. It only seems to work when the laptop is plugged into the AC. It doesn't do it when running on the battery.  I forget where in the user's guide it talks about the lid function and that if you close it by turning it off it turns on when you open it...but it didn't say it only worked plugged into the AC, I assumed it is supposed to work both ways. I'm having a hard time finding any help on this at all.

I appreciate that Jerry has answered one of my questions. I know I am rather new at this, but it seems I'm not finding much help here. I'm sorry I jumped the gun on the lid.

KidShenck

Windows 7 has separate settings for plugged in and battery power.

Go into your Power Options (right-click the battery/AC icon in the system tray)

Hit Change Plan Settings on your chosen power plan

Click Change Advanced Power Settings

There are settings in there to affect battery and AC behavior individually.

What you want to look for is Power buttons and lid -> Lid close action

Make sure they're both set to Sleep.

It says lid close, but it's supposed to affect opening and closing. Unfortunately, on some notebooks, it doesn't because it's bugged, but it's a good place to start looking.

Occasional Contributor
lola2001000

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for your help. They have both been on sleep. plugged and battery. What do you mean by bugged?

Occasional Contributor
lola2001000

In case anyone is interested. I called Toshiba tech support on this. And they say it does not wake up when you open the lid when working off battery as it shuts down completely when you close the lid. So you have to press the power button. No way to configure it. The lid only has the wake up function plugged in.

A505-S6005

rbaleksandar

[ Edited ]

Actually I thought it's quite normal. It's the same with me - only when my laptop is on AC power, when I open the lid, it powers up. A wild guess - for protection maybe? It might happen that the lid opens, while in your bag (that is - on battery and not on AC power). In that case the laptop will power up and the probibility of it getting damaged inside the bag is quite big (mostly overheating).